Match Thread Sheffield United v Leicester - EFL Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shambles! We're only in 2nd place in the group since Walsall beat Grimsby 5-2.

This was tried in the Norwegian league in 1987 (mid to late 80's at least), but only for one season. The idea was that it would bring extra excitement to the game. It didn't, so it was dropped.

This was tried in the Norwegian league in 1987 (mid to late 80's at least), but only for one season. The idea was that it would bring extra excitement to the game. It didn't, so it was dropped.
Brian Mawhinney suggested something similar for the Football League a few years ago. Needless to say, nobody listened.

Another daft suggestion that thankfully never came to fruition was to have the penalty shoot-out before the 90 minutes started This would apparently make games more attractive and cause fewer teams to play for a draw and rely on being better on penalties.

...except for the team that had won the penalty shoot-out, of course.

Didn't Norway also have a daft rule that meant that Rosenberg were the most northerly team in the top division and that teams from the northern provinces wouldn't good enough so weren't allowed to be promoted.

I think I agree with the StayAway Fans on this one. It is a Big Cup Thing if you are Barnsley, but are we going to cream our pants if our Under 23s reach the final? Will 40,000 of us travel to Wembley to watch them?

If they want the U 23s to play 'real' football, loan them out to League 1 and 2 clubs. Simples?

It's a piss take but it allows us to keep players match fit.

Didn't Norway also have a daft rule that meant that Rosenberg were the most northerly team in the top division and that teams from the northern provinces wouldn't good enough so weren't allowed to be promoted.
Yes. The first Northern Norway team to be promoted to the top league was Mjølner (Narvik) back in 1972 or 73. Travelling was the main issue though, not necessarely the quality of the northern teams. Although they were poor teams back then.

Yes. The first Northern Norway team to be promoted to the top league was Mjølner (Narvik) back in 1972 or 73. Travelling was the main issue though, not necessarely the quality of the northern teams. Although they were poor teams back then.

But ISTR there were two second-level leagues in the south (where most of the people are) and a single league second-level in the north. The top teams from each of the southern leagues were automatically promoted whereas the top team in the north had to face a play-off against the second teams in the south. A conversation I had some years ago with a chap wielding an enormous yellow toothbrush seemed to confirm this.

But ISTR there were two second-level leagues in the south (where most of the people are) and a single league second-level in the north. The top teams from each of the southern leagues were automatically promoted whereas the top team in the north had to face a play-off against the second teams in the south. A conversation I had some years ago with a chap wielding an enormous yellow toothbrush seemed to confirm this.
That is true. And that extremely stupid and unfair rule wasn't removed before 1980

The giant yellow toothbrush was a Bodø/Glimt supporter symbol. I think some of them still carries those around for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669