Pre Match Sheffield United v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this right, we play a back 3 (and wingbacks) because of Fofana? Because Fofana has only ever played that way? There's a cart/horse comment in there.

I note that when he came on yesterday for Soyuncu that he dropped into that left back position (didn't he?) though I think reverted to the right later, certainly after Fuchs came on.... thought, tbh, I'm trying to forget that performance.

Point is, Fofana is also showing himself to have mistakes in him (slack cut, he's young) in his preferred position so given our limited options, is Rodgers going to continue with something that isn't working? Or will he draft Ndidi into the back line, go back to a 4 and have Fofana on the bench?

(Edit: I've not explained that well, wibbled it out, so perm something from it as you will)

Fofana came into our side playing a back 4, we switched when Evans injured his back and didn't want to start Wes Morgan and had no other CBs available, Evans then came back and we stuck with it

OK, I didn't realise that. I thought (yep, I know what he did) we were playing the way we are to accomodate Fofana on the right of a 3. As I implied, that (to me) is ****ing nonsensical to carry on with. I know he's a hot young prospect but he has to adapt to our system, not Vicky Vixen.

OK, I didn't realise that. I thought (yep, I know what he did) we were playing the way we are to accomodate Fofana on the right of a 3. As I implied, that (to me) is ****ing nonsensical to carry on with. I know he's a hot young prospect but he has to adapt to our system, not Vicky Vixen.
It is complicated by the fact that we have very little time between games to actually train and work on systems. I think Tielemans has been quoted as saying as much?

So I can see the wisdom in wanting to stick with what he was familiar with, and given our weakened defence, I can see the attraction of having an extra player back there to cover. The problem is not so much the formation as the attitude, we haven't shown much desire to attack even against the likes of Fulham. Even playing with 3 centre backs, we have enough attacking players on the pitch to make more of an impression on the games than we have.

For me this would be strongest for Sunday. Albrighton and Under as inverted wingers in support of Vardy
No need to risk Ndidi. No numbers for 5 at the back. Praet looks shot. Fuchs looks shot. If Thomas plays then I don't think you can also play Barnes in front of him.

Schmeichel
Justin Fofana Evans Thomas
Mendy Tielemans
Maddison
Under Vardy Albrighton

If Wilf remains fit there is no way we should play a back 3. He can dip in and out of that position as needed.
Completely agree. A back 3 and Wilf would be the ultimate pisstake.

Completely agree. A back 3 and Wilf would be the ultimate pisstake.
Try this on for size then, if we had the same midfield crisis as we've had in defence, but still played three at the back.
Schmeichel
Fofana Evans Soyuncu
Pereira Ndidi Mendy Choudhury Castagne
Vardy Barnes

If man yoo, villa and man City win their games in hand we are 7th before we even kick off....tight table apart from the bottom 4 or 5.

Wow I hadn’t noticed that these have only picked up one point so far.... I’ll be having a tenner on them and a goal for whichever one of their strikers has gone the longest without scoring!

No Ricardo ... groin injury.
What an awesome medical team we have...ffs

All the work Pearson put in in that area during his time, which then continued into the title winning season, seems to have regressed so dramatically recently.

What an awesome medical team we have...ffs

All the work Pearson put in in that area during his time, which then continued into the title winning season, seems to have regressed so dramatically recently.

Some of it has to be down to luck. Both in terms of us going through a few years without many injuries and now having a run of several similar injuries.

There has to be an element of the training though. BR trains his players really hard. It's one of his things. As a result, there has to be a greater stress on muscles and therefore more injuries will occur, as well as some players running out of steam.

I don't buy that the medical team are all of a sudden not doing the things they've been doing for years. It doesn't make any sense.

We also had no preseason and are playing a ridiculous amount of games.

As is every other team in the League
Every other team are not playing in Europe. Also, other teams have also suffered significantly more injuries. You only have to look at Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363