Should Sven have been sacked?

Should Sven have been sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he's probably a bit shocked and upset. But that's not really our concern is it. I couldn't care less if we sacked every member of staff and player there, as long as we looked like we were going somewhere.

I don't get this attitude. Following Leicester is not about demanding success, if I wanted that I'd have supported ManUtd or someone. I want players who are here for years, I want a manager who is here for years. I want them to become part of the club's identity. I want players and managers who feel like they're "ours".

I feel I have no affinity with any real manager or players of the last decade or so, because a new manager turns up every 9 months or so on average and brings his own players making turnover much better.

I don't want to be a team who sacks their manager as soon as the team go through one bad spell, I want us to have a manager who is here for years, decades even.

Fans are far too concerned with growing success these days to actually take a step back and look what a manager has done. The fact that Cardiff, PNE and Bristol City fans all wanted Dave Jones, Alan Irvine and Gary Johnson sacked because they'd become "stale" for being mid table Championship sides, when all were mediocre League One teams or relegation battling Championship teams when they took over and it was because of their stewardship that being in the mid-table of the Championship was considered getting "stale" whereas in the past it would be considered a great success, speaks volumes about the modern fan's psyche. I don't like it. Money has caused greed to dominate affliction.

Last edited:
Fans are far too concerned with growing success these days to actually take a step back and look what a manager has done. The fact that Cardiff, PNE and Bristol City fans all wanted Dave Jones, Alan Irvine and Gary Johnson sacked because they'd become "stale" for being mid table Championship sides, when all were mediocre League One teams or relegation battling Championship teams when they took over and it was because of their stewardship that being in the mid-table of the Championship was considered getting "stale" whereas in the past it would be considered a great success, speaks volumes about the modern fan's psyche. I don't like it. Money has caused greed to dominate affliction.

Don't forget Alan Curbishley at Charlton; not sacked but hounded by a fair few fans towards the end.

Excellent point. I went ti Yeovil last year and found their fans wanted a change of manager because staying up every season in League 1 with a tiny budget wasn't good enough. Equally Bournemouth fans were writing off their manager as it looked likely they would lose 6th place (but had their best season in years upon years). Every single fan ''expects'' a better season after the next, it's impossible...it's a cycle.

You only have to look how Bristol City and PNE have fallen since sacking Johnson and Irvine. Cardiff don't look much cop this season either.

I don't get this attitude. Following Leicester is not about demanding success, if I wanted that I'd have supported ManUtd or someone. I want players who are here for years, I want a manager who is here for years. I want them to become part of the club's identity. I want players and managers who feel like they're "ours".

I feel I have no affinity with any real manager or players of the last decade or so, because a new manager turns up every 9 months or so on average and brings his own players making turnover much better.

I don't want to be a team who sacks their manager as soon as the team go through one bad spell, I want us to have a manager who is here for years, decades even.

I agree with what you are saying and, as I put in another thread, I am desperate for a squad of consistent players and to have some sort of identity at the club.

Saying that, I want the chance for success. I'm sure that fans support teams for different reasons, but I always dream of success with Leicester, albeit in the many different forms it comes in. Success for me could have been winning the JPT when we were in League 1, beating a 'big' team in the cup, getting into the play-offs, promotion, etc. It doesn't have to be storming this league and then breaking into the top 10 in the Prem.

In that regard, I'm still completely undecided on Sven. I genuinely don't think that he was ever going to be the manager that bought us any sort of stability as I don't believe he planned to stay here long term, and therefore he needed to offer something else. Maybe I am wrong, but I just didn't see him being here in 3 years whatever the scenario. Whether he would have achieved anything or not we will never know. In my eyes, I think he spent a little too much to be in our current position, and I think he was found lacking when teams came to park the bus. But as long as the owners aren't planning on buggering off any time soon, I was more than happy to give him a chance.

Whether he 'deserved this' or not (which is what my original post was in response to) then I think people are getting a little misty eyed for no reason. My comment on not caring if anyone else left was aimed at the current squad (whome I feel little affection towards) and not our club in general. It's been too long since I've had a favourite player, and I still think that we made a massive mistake in losing Pearson.

Sorry, I've just re-read that and it's a bit Gwilliam-esque, but I think it just about gets there.

Fair enough. Got the wrong end of the stick there I thought.

Last edited:
I agree with you at just wanting success at some level though, even if it's not winning the league, I just want matches/moments to remember. I also would've loved to have seen us win the JPT when we were in League One.

Absolute madness. I can't believe it.
I don't suppose we've got Gus Hiddink lined up 'cos that's what it would take to make me think this was a good idea.

Funnily enough that was my pick :) But is 9 wins out of 27, never been in the top 6, no back to back wins this season or even his post match interview from the Milwall game not enough to make people think this was the right decision??

I thought this decision crazy at first, given the clean sheets and the recent team improvements.

Sanctioning the Sven spend, only to fire him at this stage really comes down to the owners guessing their way through. Sure it's their investment, and most likely someone elses money, but frankly I doubt they understand the game. I question their collective football knowledge, not in the "they're not football people" or Alan Young's "they're foreigners", but rather that their reference points and understanding of the game. I suspect the owners introduction to the game consisted of watching broadcasts of the Prem's big four - this is not typical.

It's apparent they are too desperate for success and the reflective glory of owning a premiership team - let's not kid ourselves - they bought the club to promote the King Power brand, similar business motives are everywhere in football.

On Sven himself, he came across as a considered and honest coach, a friend to the players which no doubt they appreciate. Was this style going to get us promoted? .. who knows. What is clear is that Sven knows the price of players but maybe not the value. We overpaid for some average players (Mills & Beckford), this is countered by the some strong value signings (Schmeichel, Nugent, Bamba). Ultimately I think the problem has been the average players Sven signed, to play in a system that doesn't suit them. Konchesky is a solid and reliable defender, but he's not an overlapping attacking style full back - which was key to Sven's diamond formation. Last years loans of Naughton & Cunningham DID offer that type of player (Lets not forget Naughton created much of our attack from RB!).

The signings and loans of Danns, Pantsil, Fernandes, Johnson were reasonable, but not given the similar players we already had on the books - Abe, Wellens and King. It was clear we didn't have the full backs to provide the width required. Another somewhat odd decision was Sven's sanctioning of pay rises for Wellens and Gallagher midway through last season - play well and at the seasons end we'll take stock, that should have been the message, but instead Sven the mate beat out Sven the coach.

Why did Sven not sign a wide player on loan? We badly needed a forward that could stretch the play and chip in with the goals. Beckford It's sad to say, has resembled a poor man's Schlupp.

The owners need to surround themselves with the right people to direct the club. They'd hoped Sven was this person - can Neville now provide the necessary leadership. The club desperately needs stability more than anything, if at the end of the season it meant a play-off place, great, that's a vast improvement on last season. What we didn't need is more turnover, but that's exactly what we've got. Along with some of the most irritating fans who seem to want the moon on a stick, whilst booing all the way!

I still think Sven going was the wrong decision at this stage. As it raises more questions than answers. Most important; can the new boss improve performances with the current squad? If he doesn't what are the consequences?

If we fail to make play-offs, and finish mid-table (or lower) it's a zero sum game for the owners. No better than when Sven was here and little to show for the heavy investment. Whilst looking at a summer of rebuilding, which would have been the case anyhow had Sven failed this season - I really hope this isn't the scenario.

Let's hope the team responds and put in a good performance against West Ham and end the week on a high.... Wish I was there.

Last edited:
Seeing as they've now totally bollocksed up their big plan I'm now saying 'no'.

Although this probably hastens their exit - so I'll go back to saying 'yes'.

Oh, I don't know. I'm like a dizzy bird in a shoe shop. I want them all (gone).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669