Sick Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

indierich06

I'm one of those people who feels really paranoid and guilty every time I take a sick day. I'm calling into work in about an hour, as I've been up half the night with what I'm pretty sure is tonsilitis (swollen glands, hard to swallow - keep the puns to yourself :icon_wink) so I'm off to the doctors later, but I can't help feeling like they won't believe me at work or that it'll reflect badly on me. I've been at my place for about a year now and I've only had two sick days... I manage my own workload, so it's not like it really impacts on anyone else if I don't go in, so why do I feel so guilty? I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not a workshy freeloader and that taking the occasional sick day is actually alright?

I'm one of those people who feels really paranoid and guilty every time I take a sick day. I'm calling into work in about an hour, as I've been up half the night with what I'm pretty sure is tonsilitis (swollen glands, hard to swallow - keep the puns to yourself :icon_wink) so I'm off to the doctors later, but I can't help feeling like they won't believe me at work or that it'll reflect badly on me. I've been at my place for about a year now and I've only had two sick days... I manage my own workload, so it's not like it really impacts on anyone else if I don't go in, so why do I feel so guilty? I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm not a workshy freeloader and that taking the occasional sick day is actually alright?

Skiver :icon_wink

I wouldn't worry, Rich. If you are off that frequently its highly unlikely they know your name at work and certainly won't be missing you.

It all depends whether you work in the public or private sector these days. If you work in the public sector, you're a workshy fecker. If you work in the private sector, you're a valiant animal momentarily flinching in the hurricane.

For me, it all depends on your circumstances and whether you're looking after yourself properly. Many people get sick because they don't and I don't think this is reasonable if you're paid for days that you're sick. If you don't get paid when sick, I don't see it as anything like as big an issue as all you're doing is depriving yourself.

I deal with a lot of post-illness issues and there are common themes, women are sick more than men, people with young children get sick more as well as those with underlying health issues, etc. If you're a young, healthy man, the most common cause of sickness is the self-inflicted ones, i.e. having a lifestyle that weakens your immune system. However, a one day with a genuine case of dodgy tonsils isn't likely to be seen as a problem. It's only if it were a recurring issue or there was a pattern of other seemingly one off illnesses that your employer is likely to become concerned.

Last edited:
I'm now into my third month off but it's not a pattern as I've not had three months off before in the last 12 months.

It all depends whether you work in the public or private sector these days. If you work in the public sector, you're a workshy fecker. If you work in the private sector, you're a valiant animal momentarily flinching in the hurricane.

unless you work for RBS or Lloyds Banking Group, then you are part scum

;)

Get back to bed and rest. If you get stressed with guilt it will only weaken your defences and prolong your illness

A lot of firms, including mine, have adopted the Bradford factor when assessing sick absences.
Essentially, you multiply the number of absences by itself, and then multiply that by the total days off. If you go over 100, you get a warning and a poor attendance process begins.

I had several absences which were tonsil related back in the 80s which culminated with an operation. You need to take it easy as it affects your immune system.

One absence should not be a cause for concern.

Last edited:
Stop whining you workshy fecker and get back to work. If they think you're too ill to work then they'll send you home.

BOO HOO HOO! I'm poorly and sick and I think I might die. Honest I am. Somebody massage my guilt away for me

Don't worry Idlerich, so long as you're fit and well enough to use the internets, that's all that matters

I read today that if you're poorly during booked holiday time, you can reclaim those days.
Just another excuse for some to take the piss....
Not that all civil servants do....

I read today that if you're poorly during booked holiday time, you can reclaim those days.

:icon_razz Can you imagine the phonecall "Hello, is that HR? Hiya, I'm on my holliers in Ibiza and I've got a bit of a jippy tummy, can you put me down for a few sick days? ... Yeah, yeah, I'm having a great time thanks, the club was rammed last night, I was out me ****in box, never drank so much in me life"

:icon_razz Can you imagine the phonecall "Hello, is that HR? Hiya, I'm on my holliers in Ibiza and I've got a bit of a jippy tummy, can you put me down for a few sick days? ... Yeah, yeah, I'm having a great time thanks, the club was rammed last night, I was out me ****in box, never drank so much in me life"

Ffs if you can claim sick days whilst on holiday I'm owed at least 100 days, I've had 1 day off sick in the last 15 years but always seem to feel ill for a few days when I've booked days off.

I think you have to supply a doctors sick note for this, but these are easier to get than they should be.

I think you have to supply a doctors sick note for this, but these are easier to get than they should be.

I agree.

The notion that doctors are the best person to assess whether someone is ill or not is as laughable as the old system whereby they assessed if someone was fit for work and qualified for disability benefit.

Sick notes should be buried in unmarked locations around the country - if the sick want one they should have to put themselves out more in order to find one. Either that, or getting sick people to fight each other to the death would work out well - especially if it was televised.

I agree.

The notion that doctors are the best person to assess whether someone is ill or not is as laughable as the old system whereby they assessed if someone was fit for work and qualified for disability benefit.

Sick notes should be buried in unmarked locations around the country - if the sick want one they should have to put themselves out more in order to find one. Either that, or getting sick people to fight each other to the death would work out well - especially if it was televised.

Don't be hard on him, the newspaper gods told him that everyone in Broken Britain is scanning sick notes. He had to believe it or else it would invalidate his need to buy a 'paper.

Having noticed the dreadful mistake in my post I am now off to kill myself.

The upside of this is that no one will be able to be nasty about me after my death as I won't be able to come back on the forum to defend myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566