Singer songwriters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stilgoe wrecked any credibility he had earned when revelations were leaked to the press of his wild drug fuelled sex sessions with Nana Mouskari,you cannot mention Stilgoe in the same breath as Longthorne and Digance...

God you are so ignorant

Without Stilgoe there wouldn't even be a Richard Digance
Don't you understand ?

Those legendary ditties on Nationwide were the inspiration for all of the faux imitations to come - Longthorne and Digance included

He started it all

Ian Brown Of The Stone Roses even though he had a little help from his mate, John Squire, one of the best guitarist ever.

Ian Curtis Of Joy Division, please listen to Love Will Tear Us Apart ten times.

Though the people everyone is talking about these unique people who can carry on a song on their own. i.e. Bob Dylan.

Hazzman said:

I think you are better of listening to 'Atmosphere' 10 times to be honest. Love will tear us apart is well over played IMO.

Joe_Fox said:
Hazzman said:

I think you are better of listening to 'Atmosphere' 10 times to be honest. Love will tear us apart is well over played IMO.

You're right about it being overplayed. I've got my mp3s on random play at the moment and I've already heard it twice this morning. 15,000+ tracks to choose from and it still repeats stuff. I prefer Transmission myself.
Dance dance dance dance in your Joy Division oven gloves.

homer said:
God you are so ignorant

Without Stilgoe there wouldn't even be a Richard Digance
Don't you understand ?

Those legendary ditties on Nationwide were the inspiration for all of the faux imitations to come - Longthorne and Digance included

He started it all

yes homer stilgoe was a great rock tunesmith but lyric wise i think the unsung pam ayres may have been the woman behind the great man

webmaster said:
Joe_Fox said:
Hazzman said:

You're right about it being overplayed. I've got my mp3s on random play at the moment and I've already heard it twice this morning. 15,000+ tracks to choose from and it still repeats stuff. I prefer Transmission myself.
Dance dance dance dance in your Joy Division oven gloves.

I prefer "feel it closing in, feel it closing in....day in, day out, day out, day out..." etc. What's that called again? Digital I think. Great track that.

Fair point there Lazzer,Ayres inspired many a Stilgoe ditty.Mike Harding once said 'Stilgoe is not the man you think he is' before launching into a rocking 'Get up those Pennine Hills you soft Soutern Bastard'.

Twenty Four Hours was a favourite of mine,Joy Division wise.Don't think Stilgoe covered it...

webmaster said:
Joe_Fox said:
I prefer "feel it closing in, feel it closing in....day in, day out, day out, day out..." etc. What's that called again? Digital I think.

Digital it is. Had to listen to it to check though!

I had to mimmick (spelling) the drums by tapping my desk - that annoyed people I can tell ya - Digital - great stuff. New Order were never as good as Joy Division were they - that's my opinion.

Joe_Fox said:
New Order were never as good as Joy Division were they - that's my opinion.

Bollocks.

Despite liking some of their stuff, and having most of it on record/CD, I think Joy Division are over rated. They only became so big because of the suicide of Ian Curtis. Fortunately his death meant the rest of the band could move on to heights they would never have otherwise achieved.

I guess you're too young to remember it, but when Blue Monday came out it was so different to anything ever heard before, and was far more influential than anything JD ever did. The songwriting may not have been as good, but the music was far better.

its at this point highland i must mention Fletcher a true giant amonst wordsmiths

Ahhh...Cyril,what can you say? ''Odd ode No.2 coming up''..pure Genius its not up for dispute.Fletcher held the audience in the palm of his hand,and he had such style.

webmaster said:
lazzer said:
its at this point highland i must mention Fletcher a true giant amonst wordsmiths

He was a very big (huge in fact) influence on Ivor Biggun.

"pin back your lug holes" genius

i do take on board your comments webbo about biggun who i feel was complimented by his red nosed burglars and his apex was in fact the highly acclaimed "readers wives"

"readers wives i love you love each wrinkle fold and sag,
taken from a polaroid,
in a dirty old mans mag,"

pure quality

webmaster said:
Joe_Fox said:
New Order were never as good as Joy Division were they - that's my opinion.

Bollocks.

Despite liking some of their stuff, and having most of it on record/CD, I think Joy Division are over rated. They only became so big because of the suicide of Ian Curtis. Fortunately his death meant the rest of the band could move on to heights they would never have otherwise achieved.

I guess you're too young to remember it, but when Blue Monday came out it was so different to anything ever heard before, and was far more influential than anything JD ever did. The songwriting may not have been as good, but the music was far better.

This thread is singers/songwriters - that's what I meant - the words in joy division songs are much more profound than in New Order's - I'm not saying I don't like New Order but I think some of their lyrics are a bit shoddy. I was about 5 when Blue Monday came out so I don't remember it too well - I remember the re-release in 1988 and loved it. It's a classic. I love True Faith too - that's my favourite New Order track. I saw New Order at Reading 1998, they headlined, no wait - the were second headliners on the Sunday before Garbage. They were brilliant - I feel priveleged to have seen then live. Have you seen them Webbo? Even more, Did you ever see Joy Division?

"readers wives i love you love each wrinkle fold and sag,
taken from a polaroid,
in a dirt old mans mag,"

Otherwise known as "The Mrs Highland Fox Song"

Is this the guy who gets played on 6music a fair bit? Funny stuff that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566