Singer songwriters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe_Fox said:
I saw New Order at Reading 1998, they headlined, no wait - the were second headliners on the Sunday before Garbage. They were brilliant - I feel priveleged to have seen then live. Have you seen them Webbo? Even more, Did you ever see Joy Division?

Never saw JD (I'm not that old!), but I've seen New Order twice, once at Glastonbury (86 or 87?), and at Wembley Arena a coupe of years later.

A great memory was one of Fletcher's verbal jousts with Winters in a compelling ''Celebrity Squares'.Fletcher had Winters beaten with a volley of quips before Rushton moved in to 'stop the contest' as it were.Fletchers later days involved moving into the Gardening Genre,never the same man though....

I've wanked over Italy, I've wanked over Spain.
I've wanked in an omnibus, I've even had a wank in a train.
I've used a badger and a melon and a cat,
an inflatable Linda Lovelace, and a Davy Crockett hat.

Bob Dylan

You get about Webbo,I'll say that for you.You have two things in common with Steven as well I see...

webmaster said:
I've wanked over Italy, I've wanked over Spain.
I've wanked in an omnibus, I've even had a wank in a train.
I've used a badger and a melon and a cat,
an inflatable Linda Lovelace, and a Davy Crockett hat.

Bob Dylan

9:05 from leeds :D :D :D

On the conversation of Joy Division and New Order.

I think they two different kettle of fish.

JD were the answer to post punk blues, they were the pioneers and catalyst to a musical revolution and the genius that is Ian Curtis took a lot of drugs which opened up stuff in his mind, he shouldnt of seen.
Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of those instantly recogniseable songs, its opening guitar sound is beautiful and the song just makes you wanna drift and drop.
Also Transmission is fanasatic, 'Bang, Bang, Bang On The Radio'

NO put the rock music into dance, i.e. Blue Monday. They are brilliant and
possibly because Curtis went this meant the rest could put their input.

However any serious music fan should have one of eachs albums in their collection.

highland fox said:
MacGowan is a Poet,a pissed Poet I grant you but the man is a Genius when it comes to song writing.The Old Main Drag,Body of An American,Rainy Night in Soho the list of his Greats is endless.

Thanks a lot Highland, since this thread I have re-discovered my love of the pogues and it is now on constant play in the car. You are so right about rainy night in soho, listened to it and fell in love all over again. Deep lyrics for a pissed b@stard!! :D

I had respect for Strummer,although never having ever been a big Clash fan,until saw him once 'singing' lead vocals for The Pogues for the then suspended MacGowan at the De Mont.To put it bluntly he was a fecking embarrasment,it just made me cringe and I walked out half way through.I can still hear him today absolutely 'murdering 'Rain Street'. :-(

highland fox said:
I had respect for Strummer,although never having ever been a big Clash fan,until saw him once 'singing' lead vocals for The Pogues for the then suspended MacGowan at the De Mont.To put it bluntly he was a fecking embarrasment,it just made me cringe and I walked out half way through.I can still hear him today absolutely 'murdering 'Rain Street'. :-(

Yeah, but he makes up with it with so many other classics. I went to see him play at the Charlotte the year that he died. One word sums it up...Amasing.

Never a replacement for the mighty Shane in the Pogues though! I have to agree with you!

What about Sting, do we think he is good or a complete arse monger!

Not fussed about Sting...'dull' is the word that springs to mind.May I suggest he goes to his 'Fields of Gold' and fecking stays there.

David Crosy, Joni Mitchell, Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), Bonnie Prince Billy, Neil Young, Thom Yorke, Messiaen, Yo La Tengo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566