Sobering Thought for the Sack Him Brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isopen

If you had a free choice of the ideal person to take over, many City fans would say MON.

So as a reminder of the consequences of a management change MON's early record was:

1. Grimsby Town 2 v 2 Leicester City 23 December 1995
2. Millwall 1 v 1 Leicester City 01 January 1996
3. Leicester City 0 v 0 Manchester City 06 January 1996
4. Stoke City 1 v 0 Leicester 13 January 1996
5. Manchester City 5 v 0 Leicester City 17 January 1996
6. Leicester City 0 v 0 Sunderland 21 January 1996
7. Leicester City 1 v 1 Luton Town 03 February 1996
8. Portsmouth 2 v 1 Leicester City 10 February 1996
9. Leicester 1 v 1 Port Vale 17 February 1996
10. Wolves 2 v 3 Leicester City 21 February 1996

So no win for 10 games, so as tomorrow would be too early, the same now would equal no win until March and leave 10 League games left.
MON's next six then read
11. Reading 1 v 1 Leicester City 24 February 1996
12. Leicester City 0 v 0 Derby County 28 February 1996
13. Ipswich Town 4 v 2 Leicester City 03 March 1996
14. Leicester City 2 v 1 grimsby Town 09 March 1996
15. Leicester City 0 v 2 Ipswich Town 13 March 1996
16. Oldham Athletic 3 v 1 Leicester City 16 March 1996

So only 1 more victory before then beating Millwall in match 17 and then the famous loss against Sheff Utd when fans turned on the board and him and things started to happen for him.

So 3 wins in 18.

Change does not give any certainty to an improvement in fortunes

lot of difference between 18 games and 18 months being in charge with little or no results though.

Also when MON took over were we not near to the top of the division? We had to get a new manager in as the other fecker did a runner to Wolves.

This situation is a little more serious I would say. At the moment I am on the fence, but it is getting wobbly

I personally think its a completely different situation. Levein has been in charge for 15 months and should be achieving results to an extent.

At that point under O'Neill we were sitting in mid table and although our form was patchy we still had players of the quality of Heskey, Walsh and Garry Parker to name but a few. I never felt during that tricky initial period under O'Neill that we were in danger of relegation (which we werent
)as I really feel we are now.

There is a feeling of desparation amongst the fans and players and this is only something I have ever felt in patches whilst we were in the premiership, never in this league.

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
I personally think its a completely different situation. Levein has been in charge for 15 months and should be achieving results to an extent.

At that point under O'Neill we were sitting in mid table and although our form was patchy we still had players of the quality of Heskey, Walsh and Garry Parker to name but a few. I never felt during that tricky initial period under O'Neill that we were in danger of relegation (which we werent
)as I really feel we are now.

There is a feeling of desparation amongst the fans and players and this is only something I have ever felt in patches whilst we were in the premiership, never in this league.
i agree. However I feel we do have some quality players now as well IMO.

Last edited:
fcukcov said:
lot of difference between 18 games and 18 months being in charge with little or no results though.

That's not the point - it's more about being realistic of how quickly a manager can turn things round. Given how highly regarded MON is, would that not suggest other options would generate a worse outcome if they came in:102:

Not necessarily. Who is too say that a new manager wouldnt come in and we go on an unbeaten run? Im playing devils advocat tbh. I think we are in a very difficult situation and I wouldnt want to be the man/men making the decsions, but hey thats football.

The board have a very difficult decision to make, but one which they are well paid to do :

a) do they sack the manager and run the risk of a replacement coming in and making the situation even worse and relegation becoming a reality, plus the fact it would be a second failed managerial appointment under their stewardship.

b) Stick with Levein and things dont improve even after spending significant sums of money in the transfer window, in fact it gets worse and the club drops into league 1. They would be accused of blind loyalty and not reacting quickly enough to the situation.

c) Sack Levein, bring in an interim manager who manages to galvanise the side enough to drag their sorry arses to mid table safety, and then make a more informed permanent appointment in the summer.

d) Stick with Levein and things do improve as he manages to wheel and deal his way through the transfer window and a much improved, more balanced side goes on an excellent run in the 2nd half of the season to finish a creditable mid table position and set up a play off challenge for 2006/2007.

e) Sack Levein and appoint a new full time permanent replacement, who after tinkering with personnel and formation manages to unlock the potential within the current squad, the team goes on a great run securing a mid table position and setting themselves up for a tilt at promotion in 2006/07.

Difficult aint it ? This decision could shape the future for our football club and also the future's of a number of the board members, remember if they feck this up then the likely reprecussions for Mr McCahil and Mr Davies could well result in them being removed form their positions, this is one decision that cannot be afforded to be taken lightly and I hope the board are brave and commited in whatever decision they believe is in the best interests of Leicester City Football Club.

Last edited:
Just out of interest what is your prefered option PFKAKTF?
Im gonna say C for me tbh.

Last edited:
I am not really sure if I am honest, the problem is we dont necessarily know who is available, who would fancy a crack at managing Leicester, what budgets would be available, so it is difficult to say.

My preferred option is for Levein to pull a big fecking rabbit out of the hat, beat Palace and then go on a run of 5 or 6 decent results which drag us away from the relegation zone and then continue implementing his long term plan as the side starts to play with renewed confidence.

If not, C is probably the best option, with possibly somebody like a Jim Smith type character coming in someone with experience and know how tbh if they do decide to go down that route IMO it will be Bassett, and then it gives us an opportunity to really research our next appointment, also making a summer appointment usually makes it easier to take managers from other clubs / or new managers available that maybe arent during the season.

Last edited:
bang on as always PFKATF

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I am not really sure if I am honest, the problem is we dont necessarily know who is available, who would fancy a crack at managing Leicester, what budgets would be available, so it is difficult to say.

My preferred option is for Levein to pull a big fecking rabbit out of the hat, beat Palace and then go on a run of 5 or 6 decent results which drag us away from the relegation zone and then continue implementing his long term plan as the side starts to play with renewed confidence.

If not C is probably the best option, with possibly somebody like a Jim Smith type character coming in someone with experience and know how tbh if they do decide to go down that route IMO it will be Bassett, and then it gives us an opportunity to really research our next appointment, also making a summer appointment usually makes it easier to take managers from other clubs / or new managers available that maybe arent during the season.

Do you wake up at any stage during this?? ;)

PFKAKTF FOX said:

If not C is probably the best option, with possibly somebody like a Jim Smith type character coming in someone with experience and know how tbh if they do decide to go down that route IMO it will be Bassett, and then it gives us an opportunity to really research our next appointment, also making a summer appointment usually makes it easier to take managers from other clubs / or new managers available that maybe arent during the season.

Talk of dave Bassett scares me - A LOT.

DurhamFox said:

its not what i would 'want' either, but he would kick some players up the a*se and hopefully into gear. also his wealing and dealing could get a couple of experienced pro's in to help us out. as a short term appointment i think it 'could' work out. just make sure he leaves Wise and Wilkinson out of it!

Feriol said:
its not what i would 'want' either, but he would kick some players up the a*se and hopefully into gear. also his wealing and dealing could get a couple of experienced pro's in to help us out. as a short term appointment i think it 'could' work out. just make sure he leaves Wise and Wilkinson out of it!

TBH it's enough to turn me back to the 'Levein in' brigade. Bassett was widely slated on this board 18 months ago, now he is some sort of saviour. WTF :102:

DurhamFox said:
TBH it's enough to turn me back to the 'Levein in' brigade. Bassett was widely slated on this board 18 months ago, now he is some sort of saviour. WTF :102:
Without seeming like Im sucking up, like I usually get accused of. i agree, Bassett would be two steps back IMO.

DurhamFox said:

More than keeping Levein ?

Although I dont think that any of these old dinosaurs would be good long term appointments, I do think in the short term they would provide the much need grit, determination and old fashioned bottle to enable us to dig ourselves out of this mess, thus providing the platform to go out and attract a long term manager in the summer. Similar to what happened when we appointed Little.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
More than keeping Levein ?

Although I dont think that any of these old dinosaurs would be good long term appointments, I do think in the short term they would provide the much need grit, determination and old fashioned bottle to enable us to dig ourselves out of this mess, thus providing the platform to go out and attract a long term manager in the summer. Similar to what happened when we appointed Little.
No no no no no, just no - OK? :)

Feriol said:

Harry was on TV with Wilko this afternoon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669