Sobering Thought for the Sack Him Brigade

Status
Not open for further replies.
DurhamFox said:
TBH it's enough to turn me back to the 'Levein in' brigade. Bassett was widely slated on this board 18 months ago, now he is some sort of saviour. WTF :102:

saviour? i think i'm the only person that has seriously suggested him, and he's not my ideal choice either, i just think his characteristics might be what we need. so i don't think its the worst thing that could happen.

when he took control before, he had a team of older players who couldn't care less about their own futures nevermind city. with younger players he might be able to motivate them. and we do have a disciplinary record to rival the 'Crazy Gang'!;)

Steven said:
Harry was on TV with Wilko this afternoon. ;)
the new Ant and Dec?

DurhamFox said:
TBH it's enough to turn me back to the 'Levein in' brigade. Bassett was widely slated on this board 18 months ago, now he is some sort of saviour. WTF :102:

I am not saying he is a saviour and I am certainly not touting him for the job, I just think he would be the safe pair of hands the board would be looking for to steer the club through the choppy waters we are currently sailing in, I can just see the club going down that safety first route, I wouldnt totally oppose it as long as it was until the end of the season and nothing long term. It could be worse Duzzer, Dublin might get the feckin job !

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
I am not saying he is a saviour and I am certainly not touting him for the job, I just think he would be the safe pair of hands the board would be looking for to steer the club through the choppy waters we are currently sailing in, I can just see the club going down that safety first route, I wouldnt totally oppose it as long as it was until the end of the season and nothing long term. It could be worse Duzzer, Dublin might get the feckin job !

I'd rather have Dublin and thats saying something.

DurhamFox said:

Jesus Christ, have you ever seen a side managed by John Beck who was the guy that bought Dion to the fore in that dreadful Cambridge side, if you think Bassett plays long ball, you aint seen nothing yet. Incidently if Dublin does get the gig, dont be surprised if Beck ends up as his assistant, would be cheap and is currently out of football, dont say I didnt warn you.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
Jesus Christ, have you ever seen a side managed by John Beck who was the guy that bought Dion to the fore in that dreadful Cambridge side, if you think Bassett plays long ball, you aint seen nothing yet. Incidently if Dublin does get the gig, dont be surprised if Beck ends up as his assistant, would be cheap and is currently out of football, dont say I didnt warn you.

Why would he manage in the style of John Beck rather than Alex Ferguson?

DurhamFox said:

dublin is an unknown in the management area. does he even have any coaching badges? i think for a first job, our would carry to much pressure for any new manager.

Feriol said:
dublin is an unknown in the management area. does he even have any coaching badges? i think for a first job, our would carry to much pressure for any new manager.

Incidentally I wouldn't want him as manager nor do I think realisitcally he would get the job.

DurhamFox said:
Incidentally I wouldn't want him as manager nor do I think realisitcally he would get the job.

i know, i was just saying.

i don't think we are in a posistion to get what any of us would consider an ideal manager in the long term. and it is my belief that from those who have been mentioned, that bassett would fit the bill to get our current squad going.

The truth is, bearing in mind the financies the likelihood is that should Levein leave, then the club will probably have to go for a relatively cheap option, which realistically means either Bassett or the dream ticket that is Dublin / Kelly. Whatever it is, it is indeed a sobering prospect.

DurhamFox said:
Why would he manage in the style of John Beck rather than Alex Ferguson?

Possible, but after watching him play so many times, the guy certainly loves to play the long ball when he is in defence.

The situation we are in or are facing, is very serious. I wonder now even if the manager was to be changed would it change things that much?
I have been trying to think who is out there who can turn things around here. Lets face it the longer it is left, the harder it will be to get somebody in with any real credentials. At the end of the day a good manager has a big ego, so if things look bad they will not look at the job. I really think the board will stick with him until at least the end of the season.
As I have said I am sat on a very wobbly fence....:102:

Why does talk of dave basset scare you so much?

Some facts for you.

When he tookover the helm here last time we was on a slide in the premiership and had next to no funds available. (small funds for a premiership club comparable to craig moderate funds for a championship club)

He has won numerous promotions for championship level clubs.

He prepped us for our promotion season under adams.

When forest went down under him right at the start of the season the board had sabotaged his team.

He has a poor top league record but a very good championship level record since the style of play needed for success in this division suits him much more, in this league it is about the basics, get the ball to the striker and put it in the net, possesion counts for less. In the premiership passing it around and keeping possesion has a bigger bearing on play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669