Sol Bamba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. It could also be an absolute disaster too though. But that's the good thing about football, it's never predictable. I'll be leaving my judgements on the player until he's played a few games for us.

Stats don't lie. Last season with 45 goals against, we had statistically the 4th best defence in the league under Pearson. In other words we wern't that far away, so whar happened there then? First we had Sousa who thought we could turn our centre backs into Rio Ferdinands or other certain 'continental comfortable on the ball going forward players'.They couldn't do it and lost confidence. It wasn't their fault, you can't expect champagne football from beer money players! Instead of taking stock and realising that we just needed a little tweeking, messr's Sousa and Ericsson decide between them that we need a completely new defence. Naughton looks a fantastic player for me and has a good career ahead of him. Davies, my WBA season ticket holder friend reminds me, commanded a £12m fee for a reason i.e. he's very good BUT also very injury prone (hence only a few games for Villa). Just as he gets fit and starts to put in very good performances, he'd break down (always has done) so possibly not the end of the world that he's on his way. Hobbs with Morrison are good enough (and they are our players and appear to want to be here). Cunningham is promising and it it tragic that he's received such a bad injury today but... Berner, who for me was previously one of our players of the season last year, is already far better. We play for now, not the future and need stability in defence. MEE was Svens youth team captain at Man City and could be a good prospect but we don't need BAMBI or what ever his name is, we've already got better by the sounds of it. By sticking with the same defence today it paid dividends. Sol Bamba just sounds like another addition to Svens circus.

We have more priority areas to worry about, Fryatt (sold), Waghorn and Vassell will all score if given the service, therein lies the problem!

Cheers.

I know notts...point being saying the back four did fine with Morrison and Hobbs in it last year is a bit misleading. Hobbs and Morrison together in the middle is relatively unproven and has had one or two stinkers.

Still, must have played ok today.

If he is an Ivory Coast player won't we lose him to the African cup of nations? Or is that not every year?
It's every two years, but as it's switching from even years to odd, there will be a tournament in 2012 and another in 2013.
I know notts...point being saying the back four did fine with Morrison and Hobbs in it last year is a bit misleading. Hobbs and Morrison together in the middle is relatively unproven and has had one or two stinkers.

The pairing hasn't been tested a lot but looked alright in pre-season. I can see why Sven would want an older head in there though.

What pleases me is that this perhaps shows that Sven has learnt something from his time in charge and sees the need for a physical pacey stopper to shore up what has been a soft centred back line, and for the criticism of being interested in ageing has beens, is now on the verge of signing a 25 year old from the SPL who has world cup experience but will also have had a decent introduction to the physicalities of British football.

As for comparisons with previous defensive acquisitions from the SPL, I don't remember any of the appearances Robbie Neilson has made at world cups so the comparisons are pretty futile.

Sven knows this player far better than any of us and I hope he will be given the time to bed in prove his worth. Could be just what we are missing.

Let's be clear about this - Souleymane Bamba and Robbie Neilson have made exactly the same number of appearances in the World Cup finals.

But, as you suggest, it's Sven's decision - and supporters need to give new players more encouragement than has become the fashion.

RL suggests the two did OK today, but I suspect that last season the solid centre back pairing was probably mostly Hobbs and Brown.

Let's be clear about this - Souleymane Bamba and Robbie Neilson have made exactly the same number of appearances in the World Cup finals.

But, as you suggest, it's Sven's decision - and supporters need to give new players more encouragement than has become the fashion.

I fully endorse what you say, however, I still have memories of the excitement I felt when an even bigger African name came here from Scotland and totally failed to do the business for us.

Momo Sylla *should* have been immense for us.

Sol Bamba just sounds like another addition to Svens circus.

It could just be that Sven realises that Davies is probably off to Wolves, Vitor is quite injury prone and that Moreno is just not up to the job and he fancies some cover for centre back? It could be that he thinks Bamba will be a great player for us - after all, I'd never heard much of Elano, Corluka and Petrov before he signed them for Man City and they all turned out to be quality buys.

Perhaps Morrison and Hobbs will form a great centre back partnership - Sven certainly doesn't strike me as the kind of manager to change a winning side, so I would imagine that Morrison and Hobbs could start against Swansea. It's up to both of them to cement their positions - a little healthy competition is never a bad thing.

Like I say, football is unpredictable and I for one am very interested to see what happens in the final half of this season.

Stats don't lie. Last season with 45 goals against, we had statistically the 4th best defence in the league under Pearson. In other words we wern't that far away, so whar happened there then? First we had Sousa who thought we could turn our centre backs into Rio Ferdinands or other certain 'continental comfortable on the ball going forward players'.They couldn't do it and lost confidence. It wasn't their fault, you can't expect champagne football from beer money players! Instead of taking stock and realising that we just needed a little tweeking, messr's Sousa and Ericsson decide between them that we need a completely new defence. Naughton looks a fantastic player for me and has a good career ahead of him. Davies, my WBA season ticket holder friend reminds me, commanded a £12m fee for a reason i.e. he's very good BUT also very injury prone (hence only a few games for Villa). Just as he gets fit and starts to put in very good performances, he'd break down (always has done) so possibly not the end of the world that he's on his way. Hobbs with Morrison are good enough (and they are our players and appear to want to be here). Cunningham is promising and it it tragic that he's received such a bad injury today but... Berner, who for me was previously one of our players of the season last year, is already far better. We play for now, not the future and need stability in defence. MEE was Svens youth team captain at Man City and could be a good prospect but we don't need BAMBI or what ever his name is, we've already got better by the sounds of it. By sticking with the same defence today it paid dividends. Sol Bamba just sounds like another addition to Svens circus.

We have more priority areas to worry about, Fryatt (sold), Waghorn and Vassell will all score if given the service, therein lies the problem!

So you think we could get promoted with Hobbs and Morrison as center backs? Not sure about that. I don't believe the Morrison is good enough at center half yet and Hobbs has not been on great form this year (Although has been better recently). Plus both of them are in there early 20s and far from there prime. If we're to get promoted this year we need an experienced strong center back or we're going to continue to ship goals.

I would have said center half and a striker are the two biggest areas we need to strengthen. Followed by a goalkeeper and now a left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669