Southampton Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Public humiliation of some description wouldn't be too wrong :icon_wink

Finally got home. Great match, good result well deserved. Thought the two centre backs were superb. Hume and Hammond showed that you don't need a big target man if you try to play football. Dissappointed again with Johnson's performance, played people into trouble a lot. Thought our left side of Tiatto & Nissa was a weakness of the defence that they exploited well at the end of the first half and the early part of the second. Otherwise well contented today.

Last edited:
When was the last time we scored 3 in a game? Jesus!

Last month against Hereford - month before that against Ipswich. It's a regular occurrence!

And a technical question for those up on the rules...I thought the new rule was that a player is not offside until he touches the ball.

You thought wrong. [pedant mode] Firstly, there are no rules in football - only Laws. [/pedant mode]

A player doesn't need to touch the ball - only to be "actively involved in play" and there were new guidelines this year about when a player should be regarded as 'actively involved'. In the opinion of the match officials, Tiatto was actively involved in play - and I don't think that I would disagree with them. He certainly turned to go for the ball - the officials wouldn't have realised it was going out at that time.

You thought wrong. [pedant mode] Firstly, there are no rules in football - only Laws. [/pedant mode]

A player doesn't need to touch the ball - only to be "actively involved in play" and there were new guidelines this year about when a player should be regarded as 'actively involved'. In the opinion of the match officials, Tiatto was actively involved in play - and I don't think that I would disagree with them. He certainly turned to go for the ball - the officials wouldn't have realised it was going out at that time.

I think some refs give their assistants different instructions on when to flag, because it seems to differ from game to game, but both linesmen seem to be consistent in the game.
Sometimes they seem to want the flag to go up only when a player touches the ball (something we saw at the Colchester game), other times when someone is 'active' but the ball hasn't reached them yet.
The refs can't win eaiter way.
In the first case it annoys fans for what they perceive to be late decisions
In the second it means the flag can go up when a player might not interfere with play. There was another example of this against Southampton when Elvis was obviously offside when the ball was played down the touchline - so he didn't touch it so one of our other players could run on to it. But the flag had already gone up by then.

As a team it was a great performance. They all seemed to want to get stuck in and there was plenty of closing down going on, even from Johnson! The front 2 ran themselves into the ground. Williams did ok but wasn't impressed with Low or Tiatto really. McAuley and McCarthy looked very solid at the back.

It was just good to see an exciting match 5 goals and a city win.

Yesterday was the first match of the season for me (I live in south London) and despite going with low expectations, I really enjoyed it.

As others have said, there was a passion and commitment within the team that was great to see. Main highlights for me (apart from Hume's goals of course) were Elvis and his non stop running, Logan looking decent in goal, williams playing some great balls & a solid centre half pairing.

Biggest problems were our left side (Tiatto was anonymous until his booking & Nissa was out of position too often) and Josh Low who appeared clueless (no anticipation, poor first touch and no tracking back to fix his own mistakes).

If we can keep this, mid table obscurity could be a reality!

Xav

PS would hate for someone to accidentally pm me with a link so I could see humes goals again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00