Southampton match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
leicesterfan said:
should have had DeVries on from start.

i dont like Peter Reid i still feel he may do the job.

But he can't head the ball?!? When he plays people scream that he shouldn't, when he doesn't they say he should.

PR can fock off.

leicesterfan said:
i went to the game and yes, we were not of good quality. Only that hammond chance and the nice girls at HT were only consilation of a forgettable game.

Tactically we were crap, should have had DeVries on from start. Average height of Southampton defence to our attack was about a foot atleast. So all that long ball crap obviously didnt pay off.

nevermind, to be honest, even if i dont like Peter Reid i still feel he may do the job.

Oh yeah, and Dublin in Defence please, McCarthy is ok but Gerrbrands error cost us another defeat.

That was the only thing he did wrong all game! Admitedly it cost us the match but he put in a lot of last minute tackles that I don't think Dublin would have. Elvis should have taken his one-on-one. That was the only difference today between two shite teams, they took their one-on-one, we missed ours

De Vries held up the ball when he came on, Hume and Hammond were struggling to do that with the southampton defence. Dublin no matter , i know he's slow, but to be honest quality wise we were doing better when Dublin was in the team. urgh i used the wise word.

Last edited:
With hammond, Hume and Smith on, they should have skinned them for pace first half. I would have brought de Vries on for all the second half. He was exerting control around their box and gave us more options. I know most of you lot disagree, but I wish Dublin had been fit enough to start instead of Gerbrand. It would not just have been a question of winning the ball at the back it is also the control and distribution as well.

I thought we looked more balanced and better organised, and we played a much higher tempo especially when not in possession I thought we closed them down well and pressured the ball, but we lacked quality, our final ball and decision making was poor. Dire game devoid of invention on either side. Decent crowd considering.

Last edited:
I thought some of the players game more in todays game than they did under CL. I thought Nils Eric and Elvis seemed to be more motivated - possiably showing who disliked Cl.

BTW anyone know why CL and Dublin fell out?

Fox Fan said:
BTW anyone know why CL and Dublin fell out?

Something to do with Dions Schlong is what i heard. :icon_roll

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I thought we looked more balanced and better organised, and we played a much higher tempo especially when not in possession I thought we closed them down well and pressured the ball, but we lacked quality, our final ball and decision making was poor. Dire game devoid of invention on either side. Decent crowd considering.

I made one of my rare (these days) visits and overall wish I hadn't.

I thought we lacked nothing in effort - but both teams were a sad reflection of better times past.

Lack of concentration cost us in the end - but I don't think it's appropriate to blame individuals. As you rightly say, we lack quality. The match helped to confirm my view that talk about Levein having brought in lots of promising young players for the future benefit of the club is wishful thinking.

We should have got rid of him two months ago and it's going to be tough (but very possible) now to get out of trouble. We are going to be placing a lot of responsibility on Fryatt - a 19 year old! and are going to need to roll out Dublin in defence.

This is where you get to when you wreck a club financially and appoint four poorish managers in a row.

PFKAKTF FOX said:

i agrre thought we look very tired at the end ,where was the defence when they broke and scored

Last edited:
Fox Fan said:
I thought some of the players game more in todays game than they did under CL. I thought Nils Eric and Elvis seemed to be more motivated - possiably showing who disliked Cl.

Are you sure that wasn't just wishful thinking? Put it another way, if CL had have been in charge today would you have thought the same?

I didn't see or hear the game, so I'm just wondering.

Couldn't get to the radio yesterday so don't know much about the game apart from what I've read here. How did Maybury get on playing right midfield? Kelly seemed to suggest he did alright alongside Stearman?

glyn said:
Couldn't get to the radio yesterday so don't know much about the game apart from what I've read here. How did Maybury get on playing right midfield? Kelly seemed to suggest he did alright alongside Stearman?

I'm guessing he would have played 3-5-2 with Stearman and Maybury as wing backs? :confused:

Mike Hunt Smells said:
I'm guessing he would have played 3-5-2 with Stearman and Maybury as wing backs? :confused:

from what I heard it was 4-4-2 with Stearman right back and Maybury right midfield. As Kelly said he tried to get as many pegs in the right holes today (what a novel idea, CL and Micky?) but was forced to do something with right midfield.

Last edited:
glyn said:
from what I heard it was 4-4-2 with Stearman right back and Maybury right midfield. As Kelly said he tried to get as many pegs in the right holes today (what a novel idea, CL and Micky?) but was forced to do something with right midfield.

Maybury played right midfield, stearman rb and johannson lb. Maybury didn't do great,one of the poorer players in a poor game IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669