St George's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
what gets me about st george is why the english decided that a bloke who was born turkish, fought for the italians, and was exiled and died in palestine without so much as setting foot on english soil was going to be there patron saint:102: ... im just glad im welsh.:icon_bigg

So the same could be said of Milan's, Genoa's and Barcelona's patron saint being St George??

wales has always existed, it just didnt start to be called wales untill around about 635ad when the west britons started to call themselves cymry and the saxons started to call us welsh. this happened about 30yrs after st david,s death in 601ad so although technically the soil he was born on wasnt called wales at the time its still welsh soil inhabited by welshmen they just changed there names 30yrs after. offahs dyke the boundary between england and wales was built in 784ad and remains the boundary to this day.

wales has always existed, it just didnt start to be called wales untill around about 635ad when the west britons started to call themselves cymry and the saxons started to call us welsh. this happened about 30yrs after st david,s death in 601ad so although technically the soil he was born on wasnt called wales at the time its still welsh soil inhabited by welshmen they just changed there names 30yrs after. offahs dyke the boundary between england and wales was built in 784ad and remains the boundary to this day.

I would dispute the dates that your research has turned up, but I'm delighted to see that you finally agree with me. :023:

On that basis every country has always existed on the basis that there was some land there that was called by another name at some point.

On that basis every country has always existed on the basis that there was some land there that was called by another name at some point.

Or to extend that excellent logic a little further :icon_wink , in that every country has never existed on the basis that there was some land there that was not called by any name at some point. :icon_bigg

Who cares?, the world is full of ****s, it doesn't matter what country they came from, or how long it's been there.

of course it has! wales is the name for the western area of the british isles, its always been there it never just appeared when we decided to call it wales, people didnt wake up in chester and look out of there windows ( or huts ) and think "ello were did that come from!, there was coastline there when i went bed! that buggers up the days fishing!"

I would dispute the dates that your research has turned up, but I'm delighted to see that you finally agree with me. :023:
the dates are just about right according to the british history book i looked em up in, and he also was a celt! ( he was also a briton).

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46