Stadia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-faithful

Be honest about it, would you prefer the modernised look, i.e ours, Sunderlands, Derbys etc or the old fashioned "built bit by bit" look. On one hand, modern stadiums look, at very least, shiny....they're easily expandable and supposedly safer, but I prefer the rustic charm that came with Filbo, asthetically a dump, but steeped in history. Its something that I've been contemplating for a while now, and the only modern Stadium i can think of with character would possibly be the Emirates.
Wotchu reckon/

I love going to the old grounds. Southend, Colchester, Hereford etc are places I have been this season and really enjoyed. I do get bored of going to Pride Park, St Marys, etc. The old grounds are far more characteristic, and have far better atmosphere as well. The new grounds make up for it by having excellent facilities. Hereford only had 1 toilet, and a small caravan for food instead of a concourse like we have.

Last edited:
The most spectacular ground I've been to is the Munich (world cup one). Fortunately went there twice (Brazil v Austrailia and Portugal v France). Just walking up to the ground was one of the best experiences I've had in football. The outside of the ground is fantastic and the inside was also brilliant. Yes, it's a brand new ground but at least they had the nous to build something different.

800px-Allianz_Arena_Pahu.jpg

Amazing stadium that.

I'll be honest though, the first time I walked up to the Walkers I felt proud.

But that was because you had just fondled some tits, nothing to do with architecture.

out of all the new grounds i actually think ours has more character than most. we have all the leicester banners around the roof and the massive ones outside on the stadium walla. theres no way that you can't tell its leicester citys ground. coventry and southampton on the other hand......

When we were at Filbert Street I was forever saying that I wished we had a better stadium or that, at least, the camera stand was on the East Stand so our ground didn't look so shit on telly! Now though I miss the old Kop days and the atmosphere and banter that went with it. The Walkers does look good and, I think, better than most new stadia but it has not got that close, all in it together feel that we used to have at Filbert St. Then again that feeling of nostalgia I have could well have been to do with the quality of football we watched there in it's last 10 years. Who knows?

we went to chesterfield a few years ago for a league cup tie and my old man and other half went to the toilet and they didnt realise there was no roof on the toilets and when they looked up they noticed someone watching them having a slash from a bedroom window :icon_lol:

Why were they having a slash from a bedroom window??

they werent the toilets faced houses and there wasnt a roof on the toilets

we went to chesterfield a few years ago for a league cup tie and my old man and other half went to the toilet and they didnt realise there was no roof on the toilets and when they looked up they noticed someone watching them having a slash from a bedroom window :icon_lol:

I went there for a Third Division promotion battle, Brighton v Chesterfield. Worst ground I have been. The toilets were on a hill, so if you were at the bottom you're shoes were covered in piss. The pitch is raised, so if you stand on the first ten rows of terrace all you see is the boots.

The game was terrible, 0-0, we left after 60 minutes, the kick-off was delayed by 30 minutes, we struggled to get a ticket, only for in the 90th minute there was a penalty, sending-off and two goals.

I prefer the old grounds. But we needed to move from Filbert Street, we just got the wrong design firm, who do all Derby, Southampton, CovSkum. We should have used our brains and had an all-seater stadium but still with some redeeming features like Huddersfield, Bolton, Doncaster (they have these big massive floodlights coming from the roof), Man City etc.

I went there for a Third Division promotion battle, Brighton v Chesterfield. Worst ground I have been. The toilets were on a hill, so if you were at the bottom you're shoes were covered in piss. The pitch is raised, so if you stand on the first ten rows of terrace all you see is the boots.

The game was terrible, 0-0, we left after 60 minutes, the kick-off was delayed by 30 minutes, we struggled to get a ticket, only for in the 90th minute there was a penalty, sending-off and two goals.

I prefer the old grounds. But we needed to move from Filbert Street, we just got the wrong design firm, who do all Derby, Southampton, CovSkum. We should have used our brains and had an all-seater stadium but still with some redeeming features like Huddersfield, Bolton, Doncaster (they have these big massive floodlights coming from the roof), Man City etc.

you can add hull and reading to that list

everybody misses filbert..but it will be NOT forgotten..

Stockholm club AIK solna are about to relocate to a new arena and they have reportedly visited lots of grounds in england and decided that the walkers stadium was the best designed. So they plan to build something likewise..

Last edited:
The bad feeling towards the Walkers is due in some significant part to the fact that we have played like complete turd ever since we moved in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669