Speculation Stadium to be expanded to 48,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
One giant stand and three tiddlers always looks shite.

I don't think we are being ambitious enough at 40k.

Does 40k include corporate boxes of which I imagine there will be many?
It will do, along with other types of hospitality seating.

My guess is that the East Stand would become the new main stand. The scale of it would dwarf the West Stand.

The only sensible longer term improvement after that would be to develop the West Stand along similar lines capacity wise. That might mean buying and demolishing the Holiday Inn though.

All very exciting. However I am still puzzled about how in earth we're going to pay for it. This is probably a £250m investment and we're already massively in debt. Top us going to need to convert a lot of debt into equity.

My guess is that the East Stand would become the new main stand. The scale of it would dwarf the West Stand.

The only sensible longer term improvement after that would be to develop the West Stand along similar lines capacity wise. That might mean buying and demolishing the Holiday Inn though.

All very exciting. However I am still puzzled about how in earth we're going to pay for it. This is probably a £250m investment and we're already massively in debt. Top us going to need to convert a lot of debt into equity.
Isn’t the Holiday Inn behind the North Stand?

40,000 is less than I expected, but presumably must be with plans to expand again or other parts of the stadium to get us to a higher capacity if/when needed.

Maybe the pandemic has played a part in that decision - too expensive to go straight to 48k, so spreading out the development? Or a nervousness that not everyone will flock back to life as it was pre-covid, so a % of the people they were relying on to fill the stadium might not be there.

It's still a great move for us to get a bigger stadium, and another big sign of commitment from King Power.

If all of this development is going to be on the east side of the stadium it seems logical that the current access road between the west stand and HI would be closed off and developed in a future development with the current matchday access off the roundabout on the NE corner becoming the main stadium road. 40,000 seats seems a reasonable increase to plan at present.

If all of this development is going to be on the east side of the stadium it seems logical that the current access road between the west stand and HI would be closed off and developed in a future development with the current matchday access off the roundabout on the NE corner becoming the main stadium road. 40,000 seats seems a reasonable increase to plan at present.
Agreed - it's a 25% increase to capacity which seems quite sensible to me.

Agreed - it's a 25% increase to capacity which seems quite sensible to me.

The amount of corporate seats and boxes will heavily reduce the amount of new st that will actually be available.

This isn't really a capacity increase for real local fans.

The amount of corporate seats and boxes will heavily reduce the amount of new st that will actually be available.

This isn't really a capacity increase for real local fans.
I can't see the demand for 1,000s more corporate seats at the KP, adding a lot of seats that will be rarely used doesn't make much sense.

I can't see the demand for 1,000s more corporate seats at the KP, adding a lot of seats that will be rarely used doesn't make much sense.
Corporate season tickets are sold out again for 21/22 season. There were a lot of different options and price points of the various packages they may offer on the survey, comparing the West Stand and the East Stand, which were clearly designed to work out how much people would pay for x in this stand, compared to y in that stand. There will be a fair amount of corporate seating in there, alongside any boxes they add.

I'm pleased by the sensible approach. Doing too much would undoubtedly impact our transfer spend which is already short of our competitors.

We are expanding sensibly and investing in new revenue streams. King Power are showing their ambition without risking the club's chances of success.

Putting 2 and 2 together (and probably getting 5), maybe this is where the rumoured 48k figure came from? It was always a ridiculous notion that the stadium would increase to that number with the East Stand being renovated alone, but to jump from 32ish to 40 with the East Stand, then a development of the West Stand, further down the line, would presumably end up at something like that number?

Bits I've picked out:

The plan is to commence work during next season (22/23) not affecting the use of the current East Stand that season. It is due to fully open for the start of the 24/25 season but nothing about whether the East Stand will remain available in 23/24.

We haven't bought the EON building.
The capacity will increase from 32,262 to 40,000 and will include new hospitality space and be 46m high.
Creation of external fan zone.
Creation of riverside pavillion (offices).
A 220 bed hotel (15 storey).
6,000 capacity (standing) indoor arena.
New club shop and commerical office space.
Create residential accommodation - 234 units (20 storey).
Create multi storey car park (6 storey) - 525 spaces.

Leicester City Football Club will reveal its initial plans for the expansion of King Power Stadium’s capacity to 40,000 and significant developments to the surrounding areas on Thursday 12 August.

The unveiling of the plans will begin a period of public consultation, as well as giving the Football Club an opportunity to share its vision for significant enhancements to King Power Stadium and an evolution of areas that have potential to be of great benefit to the city of Leicester.

In-person consultations will be available at King Power Stadium during the below periods:

Thursday 12 August | 2pm to 7pm
Friday 13 August | 10am to 5pm
Saturday 14 August | 10am to 3pm (Matchday vs. Wolves)

All materials will also be available online for feedback from 2pm on Thursday 12 August until Thursday 2 September.

The plans will include proposals for the addition of 8,000 seats at King Power Stadium, taking the capacity to 40,000, as well as a 220-room hotel and a multi-purpose event and entertainment arena. There are also proposals for a new Leicester City retail space, residential and commercial space, and multi-storey car parking facilities – enhancements to the site that can further the evolution of both the Football Club and the city.

The developments will further underline Leicestershire’s reputation as a home of world-class sport and create a 365-day destination that will support the regeneration of an area that has been the home of the Football Club for 130 years.

The feedback obtained from the public consultation with the local community, local businesses, supporters and key stakeholders, will help inform decision-making as the plans evolve, in order to deliver a major events destination that can support the Club’s continued growth and become a major asset to the city of Leicester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363