Starting afresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashyfox

Moving house in a couple of weeks time and was just wandering if any of you could give me some advice about broadband, televison and phone deals.

I currently have virgin media broadband (of which i'm paying way too much 23.47 a month), bt landline and had sky tv until i cancelled it last week.

I would like skysports (does this need to be through sky?) in the new property and broadband. Is it best to go with one provider for the lot you think or spread them about?

What would you do if starting out again?

Cheers

Moving house in a couple of weeks time and was just wandering if any of you could give me some advice about broadband, televison and phone deals.

I currently have virgin media broadband (of which i'm paying way too much 23.47 a month), bt landline and had sky tv until i cancelled it last week.

I would like skysports (does this need to be through sky?) in the new property and broadband. Is it best to go with one provider for the lot you think or spread them about?

What would you do if starting out again?

Cheers

Virgin deals look alright if you buy online. Sky deals might be worth looking at as well. I'd say it's a safe bet that you'd get everything cheaper if you do it as a bundle.

For your phone, avoid BT if possible, and avoid TalkTalk at all costs.

For your TV, Virgin boxes seem to work better than Sky ones, but that's just my experience. It could be argued that Sky has too much choice in terms of channels.

For internet, I've never had a problem with Virgin. BT Broadband is a pain in the arse. I've no experience of Sky's product. TalkTalk's is dreadful.

Cheers Blue Maniac.

Certainly have been happy with my broadband with virgin, but would hope to get it for a lot less than what im paying now for it.

How much would i be looking at for getting broadband (average download speed), skysports and phone with virgin? Has anyone got this package?

Cheers Blue Maniac.

Certainly have been happy with my broadband with virgin, but would hope to get it for a lot less than what im paying now for it.

How much would i be looking at for getting broadband (average download speed), skysports and phone with virgin? Has anyone got this package?

According to their website you can get all three for £71.50 a month, that's 10MB broadband, 165 channels plus Sky Sports package. I could sell their stuff...

If you have Sky and premium package eg. sports you can get (in some areas) 2mb broadband for free or 8mb for £5 i believe. The phone deals not bad either. I have all three but I am sure others will have bad experiences and disagree with me.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyproducts/getall3

The Sky deal looks to be pretty good too. Contrary to that lying phrase, whichever one you go for I reckon you'll be better off putting all your eggs in the same basket.

I take it you've had some form of life altering experience with TalkTalk?

I think anyone who's ever tried to make a phone call or attempted to stay connected to their broadband service for more than eight seconds would say the same thing... There's a reason they offer internet for free :icon_wink plus, their customer service is way beyond awful. I'm sure they're the only company in Britain who encourage forthright arrogance in their staff.

Found out that my new address is not in a cable area for virgin media meaning i wouldn't be able to get sky sports. I can get virgin broadband and phone but would still have to pay bt for line rental.

The previous owners had sky tv so there must be cables there for sky! So i could go with sky and get the lot or go with virgin and get phone and broadband and then still have to get sky.

Any advice anyone??

For your phone, ........avoid TalkTalk at all costs.

I moved over to them for a while. When I asked them to change the date of the direct debit to fall in line with all of my others, they said that it was not possible for them to do that. The only way I could get it changed would be to cancel my contract, go back to BT and then rejoin again 2 weeks later so that it was in a different half of the month. (Oh yes, and if I did that I would incur a penalty charge for cancelling my contract!). Complete wankers.

I moved over to them for a while. When I asked them to change the date of the direct debit to fall in line with all of my others, they said that it was not possible for them to do that. The only way I could get it changed would be to cancel my contract, go back to BT and then rejoin again 2 weeks later so that it was in a different half of the month. (Oh yes, and if I did that I would incur a penalty charge for cancelling my contract!). Complete wankers.

They were a victim of their own success, they expanded too fast and weren't able to get their customer service processes and systems in place fast enough to keep up with their expanding customer base. So it was a case of pot luck who you spoke to when you called in, whether that agent would be able to help you or not.

Some of their recent takeovers were based on acquiring companies that have mature processes and systems that they could incorporate and there has been a lot of work going on in that area.

And yes SJN, altering DD details is definitely now in their agent knowledgebase. :icon_wink

They were a victim of their own success, they expanded too fast and weren't able to get their customer service processes and systems in place fast enough to keep up with their expanding customer base. So it was a case of pot luck who you spoke to when you called in, whether that agent would be able to help you or not.

Some of their recent takeovers were based on acquiring companies that have mature processes and systems that they could incorporate and there has been a lot of work going on in that area.

And yes SJN, altering DD details is definitely now in their agent knowledgebase. :icon_wink

They haven't taken over AOL have they?

I think anyone who's ever tried to make a phone call or attempted to stay connected to their broadband service for more than eight seconds would say the same thing... There's a reason they offer internet for free :icon_wink plus, their customer service is way beyond awful. I'm sure they're the only company in Britain who encourage forthright arrogance in their staff.

I've been with them for about 3 years and never had any problems.

I would wager that you, sir, are in the minority. Even the very worst of companies get it right sometimes. I can only speak from my experience, and my assessment is that they are, by some distance, the most incompetent shower of bastards I've ever had the misfortune to cross. And I've dealt with RBS, BT, Vodafone Australia and Newey & Eyre in the past, so there's plenty of stiff competition.

Ironically I was talking to someone last night who has just told Talktalk to feck off.

He downloads a lot of films so he paid for the unlimited download which worked fine for the first 30 days trial period, then on the 31st day he found he couldn't download a thing. Anyway to cut a long story short he's now got to pay £70 to get out of the contract.

He downloads a lot of films so he paid for the unlimited download which worked fine for the first 30 days trial period, then on the 31st day he found he couldn't download a thing.

Why couldn't he download a thing?

'Unlimited download' still has a fair usage policy attached to it, the same as any other company on the market. But even if he had taken the piss out of the fair usage, it wouldn't stop him downloading anything, it would just throttle his connection speed back to stop him hogging all the bandwidth. Also, it wouldn't kick in after 30 days, it just does not work like that.

I think there's probably more to this tale than your friend has told you.

I think there's probably more to this tale than your friend has told you.

Enough for him to cancel the contract at a cost of £70. I know I wouldn't bin off a company lightly if they were going to charge me that much for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566