Statement Regarding Fixture Fulfilment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly do not regard Cafe as a troll.

My definition involves three things
(1) It must be anonymous
(2) It must be personal - as Macky says disagreeing with someones opinions is not trolling.
(3) It must be abusive.
Cafe's opinions are not mine and I am puzzled by his obsession with Pearson and Leicester but I do not recall any abusive posts from him.

I was unimpressed by Jermaine Beckford's performances for Leicester.
If I tweeted him that I thought he did not deserve to be in the team that may be bad mannered but it would not be trolling.
If I made that tweet hiding behind a false name that might show a lack of integrity but it is not trolling.
If I made unpleasant comments about his character or appearance or family while hiding behind a false name that to me is trolling.

Your definition of trolling is not how I'd define it. I agree with this description from Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Your definition of trolling is not how I'd define it. I agree with this description from Wikipedia:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

That would be precisely how I'd define it too

Oh dear. I realise many of my posts have been off-topic (including this one) and intended to provoke though never intended to offend. My only consolation is that I am in the company of a number of regular and excellent posters. There clearly needs to be a new term to distinguish between the Wikipedia definition and the really nasty stuff in the BBCs defintion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14898564

Oh dear. I realise many of my posts have been off-topic (including this one) and intended to provoke though never intended to offend. My only consolation is that I am in the company of a number of regular and excellent posters. There clearly needs to be a new term to distinguish between the Wikipedia definition and the really nasty stuff in the BBCs defintion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14898564

Speaking as someone who has lived with a guy who made trolling a hobby, IMO the BBC description is far too extreme. He used to enjoy doing it to frustrate and annoy - but not to really cut deeply into someone.

But still, yes, he was a prick.

(1) It must be anonymous - check
(2) It must be personal - check
(3) It must be abusive - check

There you go, David.

Haha, I'd quite happily admit who I am and who I'm talking about, and those were the kindest words I have really...

Haha, I'd quite happily admit who I am and who I'm talking about, and those were the kindest words I have really...

:icon_bigg I was just using David's definitions to prove a timely point that it's not about rudeness or anonymity. Over half the posts on this board are off-topic in-jokes, but that is what gives it its character. I've no idea why the Hullthing posts here but he is clearly a troll who used to post hoping for a rise, but I've not seen what it posts for a long time now.

Speaking as someone who has lived with a guy who made trolling a hobby, IMO the BBC description is far too extreme. He used to enjoy doing it to frustrate and annoy - but not to really cut deeply into someone.

But still, yes, he was a prick.
What was Macky like to live with? I bet he did **** all house work.

What was Macky like to live with? I bet he did **** all house work.

That's only because Franksie kept me locked in the cupboard under the stairs the whole time.

At least I had my laptop with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670