Statement Regarding Fixture Fulfilment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

As we suspected, the club had little power to do anything on Friday, other than not prepare.

Following Friday night’s npower Championship fixture against Middlesbrough, Leicester City Football Club have issued the following statement with regard to the game’s fulfilment:
“The Club is very mindful that, due to the weather-related conditions on Friday night, a large number of fans were unable to attend the game, as they had planned. The Club understands the disappointment of these fans and would like to take the opportunity to clarify the procedures and regulations surrounding the fulfilment of games, so that all of our loyal supporters have a complete and accurate understanding of the obligations of all clubs when hosting a home fixture, and the circumstances of last Friday in particular.

"In anticipation of adverse weather in the build-up to Friday night’s game, the Club took every possible precaution to ensure that the fixture went ahead, while liaising regularly with the Football League, the match officials, the relevant local authorities, Middlesbrough Football Club and supporters.

“Such advance planning – including the provision of additional personnel, resources and equipment throughout the day, coupled with the outstanding efforts of the Club's grounds, stadium and safety staff, ensured that King Power Stadium was fully operational, despite the onset of heavy snow during Friday afternoon, in the hours prior to kick-off.

“It is the Club’s responsibility to ensure that King Power Stadium is in an appropriate condition for its home fixtures to be fulfilled. As a consequence of the successful preparation, the match officials decided that the game should go ahead, albeit with a delay to the kick-off time to allow for Middlesbrough’s disrupted journey to the stadium.

“While we appreciate that, very regrettably, the adverse weather made it difficult for a significant number of supporters to attend the game, only the match officials, the city’s Safety Advisory Group or the police can initiate a postponement. Once both playing squads, the match officials and essential stadium staff had arrived and the requisite conditions had been deemed fit for play, there were no grounds on which the match officials or relevant agencies would take such action.

“The Club would like to express its sincere appreciation to the supporters that did make it to the game and contributed to an important result for the team, which subsequently saw us finish the weekend in the npower Championship’s automatic promotion places. The Club will put all its efforts behind the first team in its bid for promotion this season, and the players and all staff of the Club will endeavour at all times to provide winning football home and away, and a great matchday experience at King Power Stadium."

A spokesman for the Football League added: “It is hugely unfortunate that so many ticket holders missed the game. However, these were exceptional and challenging circumstances that were outside of Leicester City's control.

"The Football League is satisfied - given that the referee had determined that the playing surface was playable, that both sides were ready to start the game and that a significant number of people were in the stadium - that it was correct to play the match."

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/210113-statement-regarding-fixture-fulfilment-610183.aspx

I'm sure Arsenals game could have gone ahead with nobody there, pitch was playable, players and officials could have got there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/19/arsenal-boxing-day-west-ham-strike

"The paramount concern was always the duty of care towards the Arsenal supporters, West Ham United supporters"
I think the problem with that game was that there was likely to be a skeleton tube service, which would have been rammed and dangerous TBH. There are some alternative overground services to The Emirates, but the same would apply to them.

I'm sure Arsenals game could have gone ahead with nobody there, pitch was playable, players and officials could have got there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/19/arsenal-boxing-day-west-ham-strike

"The paramount concern was always the duty of care towards the Arsenal supporters, West Ham United supporters"

That is very naughty Babylon!

The rest of your quote includes: "...matchday employees and workers..."

You also ignored the quote stating: "This decision has been made now due to the preparation period needed to safely operate Emirates Stadium by all the relevant agencies."

So in fact it was the fact the staff would struggle to get in that resulted in the game being cancelled.

I am sure Arsenal use the strike so the players can have a rest over Christmas. Fulham and Qpr played.

I believe it affected the Northern lines of the tube a lot more than the rest. Considering Fulham and QPR are on routes for shopping centres, so it was in the TFL's interest to keep those fully funcitioning.

That is very naughty Babylon!

The rest of your quote includes: "...matchday employees and workers..."

You also ignored the quote stating: "This decision has been made now due to the preparation period needed to safely operate Emirates Stadium by all the relevant agencies."

So in fact it was the fact the staff would struggle to get in that resulted in the game being cancelled.
So why mention the fans then? And I'm pretty sure considering the notice they had they could have made other arrangements for their staff to get in.

The fact is, they knew it was going to be lot of bother for a lot of people and would rather not play the game.

there was likely to be a skeleton tube service, which would have been rammed and dangerous TBH.
Bit like our roads on Friday then!

Someone on FT says (contrary to what the club told me on Friday), if you don't turn up to a game as a season ticket holder you can get a ticket exchange for another game. If I can get a replacement ticket to bring a mate with me another game I'm not so annoyed, still feel sorry for those paying out £20 and getting nothing back.

So why mention the fans then? And I'm pretty sure considering the notice they had they could have made other arrangements for their staff to get in.

The fact is, they knew it was going to be lot of bother for a lot of people and would rather not play the game.

The fact is they cancelled it because their staff wouldn't have been able to get in with enough time to prepare the stadium. It reads better as a press release if you say you are concerned about the fans getting in. It still doesn't change the fact that the game was cancelled because of the staff not the fans.

The fact is they cancelled it because their staff wouldn't have been able to get in with enough time to prepare the stadium. It reads better as a press release if you say you are concerned about the fans getting in. It still doesn't change the fact that the game was cancelled because of the staff not the fans.

Our players had to run miles in the snow to get to the ground? You think their staff couldn't have set out a bit earlier or found other modes of transport? If Arsenal wanted that to go ahead with no fans in the ground, they could easily have done so.

You think a Man United wouldn't have cancelled if Van Persie was having to dump his car at Fosse Park and running on snow/ice to get in?

If they choose to go ahead at city then fine, but at least offer something to the fans who got stuck in the crap on the roads. That statement is such a slap in the face for a lot of people, especially when you know there are 8000 + empty seats down there almost every game. A ticket exchange, a half price ticket, a free bloody beer, whatever it might be I think it would be wise to offer something other than that statement.

Last edited:
We knew the club had a no say in it, Sky always call the shots hence why it went ahead.

Our players had to run miles in the snow to get to the ground? You think their staff couldn't have set out a bit earlier or found other modes of transport?
I would think it was a safe assumption that Arsenal's staff are from all around the capital, and most people in London use public transport to get around. With the disruption on public transport I am at a loss as to what other " mode " of transport they could have turned to. Jetpacks?:icon_wink

Did you even read the statement?

They're hardly going to come out and say Sky call the shots are they?

I'll remember that from now on, any statement the club makes is gospel truth.

Last edited:
I would think it was a safe assumption that Arsenal's staff are from all around the capital, and most people in London use public transport to get around. With the disruption on public transport I am at a loss as to what other " mode " of transport they could have turned to. Jetpacks?:icon_wink

Do they not have buses, taxes, bikes, coaches in London? It's not like it was a last minute problem here, they had plenty of notice to get their staff in had they wanted.

"Taxis".... fecking iphone.

Last edited:
Our players had to run miles in the snow to get to the ground? You think their staff couldn't have set out a bit earlier or found other modes of transport? If Arsenal wanted that to go ahead with no fans in the ground, they could easily have done so.

You think a Man United wouldn't have cancelled if Van Persie was having to dump his car at Fosse Park and running on snow/ice to get in?

If they choose to go ahead at city then fine, but at least offer something to the fans who got stuck in the crap on the roads. That statement is such a slap in the face for a lot of people, especially when you know there are 8000 + empty seats down there almost every game. A ticket exchange, a half price ticket, a free bloody beer, whatever it might be I think it would be wise to offer something other than that statement.

The club has stated on several occasions that they actually make less money from televised games so they are hardly likely to be feeling charitable now, especially after having to heat the pitch for a week and pay the regular amount of staff for a reduced turnout.

The club has stated on several occasions that they actually make less money from televised games so they are hardly likely to be feeling charitable now, especially after having to heat the pitch for a week and pay the regular amount of staff for a reduced turnout.

Lets face it, a small gesture from them is hardly likely to break the bank is it. Without supporters the club is nothing, put it down as good PR.

If they let season ticket holders do a seat exchange I'm sure they could do it for others. The 6000 people who bought single match day tickets aren't going to be going to every game. So it's not like you're losing out on 6000 people not paying for the next game. It's more likely they would end up coming to a game they wouldn't have previously.

Last edited:
They're hardly going to come out and say Sky call the shots are they?

I'll remember that from now on, any statement the club makes is gospel truth.

Are you suggesting that they are lying about having to following the same rules as every other club? What about all the games on Saturday that weren't on Sky, that were affected by snow, but still went ahead?

Are you suggesting that they are lying about having to following the same rules as every other club? What about all the games on Saturday that weren't on Sky, that were affected by snow, but still went ahead?

What I don't get is that we aren't allowed to play at the same time as the tigers by the cops because they fear the traffic will stop emergency services from getting to their destinations. How on earth they can say that, and then let a game go ahead that could potentially bring 22,000 people many in vehicles, into an already gridlocked area I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566