Steve Cooper - LCFC manager

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club can today confirm the appointment of Steve Cooper as our new First Team Manager ahead of the 2024/25 Premier League season.

Steve, 44, has agreed a three-year contract and arrives at King Power Stadium as the Club continues its preparations for our top-flight return, following promotion from the Sky Bet Championship last season.

A manager of Premier League experience following a successful spell with Nottingham Forest, whom he guided to and established in the top flight between 2021 and 2023, Steve has built an excellent reputation in the game for his qualities as a coach and a leader.

Leicester City Chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “We are delighted to welcome Steve to Leicester City. His vision for the team, including his ability to develop players and implement a dynamic style of play, is very much aligned with our aspirations for the Club.

“As a leader, he has the ability to build on the strong relationship that has been forged between our fans and our team, strengthening a bond that will be vital to us re-establishing the Club in the Premier League.”

Steve Cooper said: “I am really excited and proud to be appointed Leicester City’s First Team Manager. This is a fantastic Club with a rich history and passionate supporters. I am excited to work with such a talented squad and I’m looking forward to the challenge of achieving our shared ambitions in the Premier League.”

Born in Pontypridd, Cooper followed a playing career in Wales by becoming one of the youngest coaches to achieve the UEFA Pro Licence, aged 27, while coaching with Wrexham.

He left his role as Head of Youth Development at Wrexham to join Liverpool as an academy coach in September 2008 and was later named Academy Manager, coaching the club’s Under-18s during the 2012/13 campaign.

In October 2014, he took charge of England’s Under-16s team before his appointment as Under-17s manager the following year. He led his side to the final of the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in May 2017 before they were crowned FIFA Under-17 World Cup winners five months later.

Steve joined Swansea City as Head Coach in June 2019 and finished sixth in his first season in charge, with the Swans beaten over two legs by Brentford in the play-off semi-final.

He then secured a fourth-place standing the following campaign, and guided his side to the play-off final, where they were beaten by Brentford at Wembley.

After his departure from South Wales in July 2021, Steve was named Nottingham Forest manager in September of the same year. He remarkably led the City Ground outfit from the bottom of the Championship to a fourth-place finish in his first season in charge, which culminated in promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.

He ensured Forest’s top-flight status the following year before leaving the club in December 2023.

Steve will now begin an exciting new chapter as Leicester City manager, with the playing squad due to return to pre-season training in early July.

STEVE COOPER: AN OPEN LETTER TO LEICESTER CITY SUPPORTERS
I am very proud to be joining a club with a rich history, and I want first of all to thank Khun Top for the opportunity to manage Leicester City. I recognise I am joining a group of people who love this Club and want the very best for it.

I congratulate the players and staff on the achievements of their promotion to the Premier League. I know how hard that is. Any person who loves football can only look with great respect upon how much this Club has achieved in recent years. The Premier League title of 2016 and the FA Cup of 2021 have demonstrated what’s possible for a united club. As the new manager, I don’t take that legacy lightly. My job will be to build on those achievements and to bring everyone along – players, staff and fans. Great challenges lie ahead but I get the feeling that Leicester thrives in these moments. I know we will be ready.

The work starts now on building towards a successful Premier League season. Our aim is to once again make Leicester City an established Premier League club, and one that can look forward to the future with pride and ambition. To do that we have to show to our fans that we are ready to adapt to the new level after a season in the Championship. I know that my experience will be valuable in helping that evolution, with an excellent group of players working from one of the best training grounds in the world.

As staff and players, it is important we play with a style that the Leicester support recognise as the very best of their Club. The support of the fans will be fundamental and I am looking forward to meeting many of you over the summer.

This Club has a distinct identity and attracts a great deal of respect for what it has achieved. That has been done through the dedication of the owners and the hard work of the players and the people here.

I take the faith the Club have placed in me very seriously and am committed to immersing myself in what the Club and community stands for ensuring we have success together.

That’s great, but why do we care about a new Liverpool manager?

Steve Boooooo-per

Underwhelmed. I want to know what happened to Potter.

But of course I'll back him, and hope he does a tremendous job. No point being on his back from day 1, we need to get behind him.

Can't imagine being more underwhelmed for the start of a PL season for so many reasons.

Club is a joke atm.

And another shitfest rollercoaster begins

Steve ****ing Cooper for fecks sake

Steve Boooooo-per

Underwhelmed. I want to know what happened to Potter.

But of course I'll back him, and hope he does a tremendous job. No point being on his back from day 1, we need to get behind him.
Probably going to replace Southgate lol, glass is half full with this guy hopefully we will have have wingers on the correct side of the pitch, I am not a fan of this cutting inside all of the time, it prevents the strikers from exploiting space.

What went wrong with him when he was in charge of the trees?

Hopefully Steve will be as successful as another who was ex Forest that went on to be one of our most successful Captains ever.
And his welcome was a bit underwhelming too I seem to remember 😉
And another shitfest rollercoaster begins

Steve ****ing Cooper for fecks sake

I can answer that (Forest fan in peace).

Cooper was coach at our place, not manager. Had to work with players he was given. Clear to see which ones he rated, as they played. Obvious to see which ones he didn’t want there as they never featured or were shovelled off to Olympiacos.

I will forever be thankful for picking us up from bottom of the Championship after the dour Hughton and helping us retain top flight status. Very well liked by fans and players (that were playing). Not so much by anyone bombed out.

Given time, and a decent say in signings, he will be a good top flight boss. Our moaners will say he was too defensive, but given the players at his disposal going gung ho would have seen us battered.

Clashes with the owner essentially meant he was on borrowed time and led to his demise. The fact that Nuno hasn’t done any better with the same squad tells you it perhaps wasn’t the manager.

It’s a massive leap to the Premiership and fan’s expectations should be set accordingly. If there’s not a huge pot of cash available then if you stay up season 1 then he will have done a great job.

Hope he does well for you, just not at our expense. You have a decent guy.

Ps. Only dislike Derby. Don’t care about you lot 😉

Okay, lets be honest, he is very ugly, but I will also put my neck on the line. I think for us, its for the best. And I predict a situation will arise, where we will all want to give him a big tongue snog on his beautiful, ugly face.

If you'd have asked at the start of the process, I thinkl I'd have been very pleased with this appointment. By taking their time and with the dalliance with Potter, the board have left me feeling a bit let down though. Still, he has shown himself to be a good manager and is the right kind of profile for what we should be looking for. He's going to have to get straight to work with Glover since we obviously need to sign a few more players (and sort out the Fatuwu situation), I just hope that will be possible!

Talk about a meh appointment.

The thought of 3 years of Cooper in the dug out and Vestergaard at the back doesn't generate a huge amount of excitement for us but I'm sure the opposition fans and teams are delighted.

We better not sign some shit cast offs from Forest now, if we sign Joe Worrell or Scott McKenna then I may have to avoid watching us for a while.

Can't imagine many of the current squad are thrilled by this appointment either.

If he's as funny as his grandad Tommy but not a cowboy like his great grandfather Gary then he'll do fine. Just like that. Stick 'em up cowboy.....

I can answer that (Forest fan in peace).

Cooper was coach at our place, not manager. Had to work with players he was given. Clear to see which ones he rated, as they played. Obvious to see which ones he didn’t want there as they never featured or were shovelled off to Olympiacos.

I will forever be thankful for picking us up from bottom of the Championship after the dour Hughton and helping us retain top flight status. Very well liked by fans and players (that were playing). Not so much by anyone bombed out.

Given time, and a decent say in signings, he will be a good top flight boss. Our moaners will say he was too defensive, but given the players at his disposal going gung ho would have seen us battered.

Clashes with the owner essentially meant he was on borrowed time and led to his demise. The fact that Nuno hasn’t done any better with the same squad tells you it perhaps wasn’t the manager.

It’s a massive leap to the Premiership and fan’s expectations should be set accordingly. If there’s not a huge pot of cash available then if you stay up season 1 then he will have done a great job.

Hope he does well for you, just not at our expense. You have a decent guy.

Ps. Only dislike Derby. Don’t care about you lot 😉
Thanks BBR. An interesting overview.

Gutted we didn’t get Potter, but time to get behind Steve now.
TalkSport suggested something along the lines of: Potter working at Leicester, maybe 2million/year, Potter, not working, sat on his backside, still being paid by Chelsea maybe £10million/year until the end if his contract.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59
9Fulham58
10Tottenham 57
11Manchester U57