Steve Coppell

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's already been replaced...

Keith Millen has been appointed the new manager of Bristol City Football Club on a three-year contract.

The 43-year-old Londoner takes up the position following the resignation of Steve Coppell earlier today.

Chairman Steve Lansdown says: "We're delighted to appoint Keith into the role with immediate effect.

"This was not a difficult decision. He's managed the team on previous occasions, he understands the football club and has great affection and ambition for it.

"I always expected Keith to become a manager one day and now he has the opportunity at Bristol City FC. I look forward to working with him and helping him succeed."

Statement from Bristol City:

Steve Coppell has resigned from his position as manager at Bristol City Football Club with immediate effect.

The 55-year-old informed chairman Steve Lansdown of his decision yesterday, and has released a statement through the League Managers Association.

Steve Coppell says: "It is with the deepest regret that I confirm my departure from Bristol City. I have made my decision after very careful consideration and I believe that it is in the best interests of both the club and me personally that we go our separate ways.

"Bristol City is an excellent club, with brilliant support and a chairman with great ambition for the club's future. Whilst I was looking forward to the challenge of leading the players in this season's campaign, unfortunately, it has become clear over recent weeks, that I found I could not, for whatever reason, become passionate about the role and give the commitment the position demands.

"I appreciate that the timing of my departure is not ideal, but I believe it is best for the club to appoint a new manager or indeed appoint Keith Millen, who has a deep knowledge of the club and the squad, at this stage of the season. That individual can then make decisions on signing players before the window closes and work with the squad for the full campaign.

"I am retiring from football management but still feel I have a contribution to make to the game sometime in the future. I would like to sincerely thank the chairman and the board for their understanding and I wish the club and its supporters every success."

Chairman Steve Lansdown says: "Steve's prestigious career as a player, coupled with his experiences and successes as a manager are in no doubt. His footballing pedigree made him our prime target to manage the club early this year.

"It is disappointing for any club to part company with its manager at this stage of the season. However, we respect Steve's decision, one that allows us the opportunity to appoint his successor and give that individual the full season to work with the squad."

He must be a millionaire by now surely? :102:

When he was playing the wages are nothing like they are now, but he has had a fair few managerial positions in the recent past that wouls have paid well. He strikes me as someone who would have invested what he had quite wisely. Taking into account his main residence I would be most surprised if on paper he was not worth well in excess of a million.

When he was playing the wages are nothing like they are now, but he has had a fair few managerial positions in the recent past that wouls have paid well. He strikes me as someone who would have invested what he had quite w*s*ly. Taking into account his main residence I would be most surprised if on paper he was not worth well in excess of a million.

That's what I was thinking, I know his playing wage wouldn't have been massive, but he has been around for quite some time, in and out of jobs etc.

The stuff on f365 about this made me laugh.

David James apparently said he would have ignored BCFC's approaches were it not for Coppell.

He signs and Coppell's off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570