Sticks and stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orifice

Times are changing, the world is changing.

I am in my fifties and have seen how football has evolved into the game of super skilful players with plenty of talent. We are improving as men, and women, on the pitch but these days people seem very easy to upset.

When you are in battle on the pitch with your opponent, how much of a problem is it for you if your opponent calls you something that you don’t like? Is it worse to have a player clout you below the knee with full force or be called something you don’t like in passing, something you may find offensive?

I have never worried what I’ve been called. I grew up with that. Say what you want about me or my family, it doesn’t bother me, it may even make me play harder. I don’t want to be carried off the pitch though. In sport a full on physical clash is still OK but if you say certain words to someone, you may upset them and you CANNOT do that.

Yes, times are different now but am I on my own in that it does not matter what words you say to me, they’re words in the heat of battle. If I was innocently walking along the road and was called something, I may have an issue but when trying to unsettle opponents on a pitch it’s not important.

The Ashes series has just finished and it seems there were things said in sledging that crossed the line. I find it strange that top professionals can be bothered by what your opponent says in battle.

Am I really that odd that it doesn’t bother me?

Times are changing, the world is changing.

I am in my fifties and have seen how football has evolved into the game of super skilful players with plenty of talent. We are improving as men, and women, on the pitch but these days people seem very easy to upset.

When you are in battle on the pitch with your opponent, how much of a problem is it for you if your opponent calls you something that you don’t like? Is it worse to have a player clout you below the knee with full force or be called something you don’t like in passing, something you may find offensive?

I have never worried what I’ve been called. I grew up with that. Say what you want about me or my family, it doesn’t bother me, it may even make me play harder. I don’t want to be carried off the pitch though. In sport a full on physical clash is still OK but if you say certain words to someone, you may upset them and you CANNOT do that.

Yes, times are different now but am I on my own in that it does not matter what words you say to me, they’re words in the heat of battle. If I was innocently walking along the road and was called something, I may have an issue but when trying to unsettle opponents on a pitch it’s not important.

The Ashes series has just finished and it seems there were things said in sledging that crossed the line. I find it strange that top professionals can be bothered by what your opponent says in battle.

Am I really that odd that it doesn’t bother me?
It feels good to say you’ve venn offended.

I find it strange that top professionals can be bothered by what your opponent says in battle.

I find it strange that top professionals can stoop so low as to use offensive terms to their fellow professionals.

As soon as we allow or ignore on the pitch it will all start up again on the terraces.

I find it strange that top professionals can stoop so low as to use offensive terms to their fellow professionals.

As soon as we allow or ignore on the pitch it will all start up again on the terraces.

Are we sure that it has actually ever finished on the terraces?

I'm the same age as Orifice & I must admit I can see where he's coming from. I grew up in an environment where bullying & intimidation was a normal everyday reality. It was called "England in the 70s" It was a vicious pig ignorant cesspit filled with dullwitted morons who knew **** all about anything & were fiercely proud of it.

Bullying was a matter of physical intimidation & assault. It was about pinning you to a wall & taking your dinner money, it was about spiking your bike wheel with a stick so that you went over the handlebars & almost broke your ****ing neck, it was about 4 lads catching you on your way home & volleying your head repeatedly against a kerbstone, it was about being dragged behind a Portakabin & forced to drink a bottle of piss...& many other charming jolly japes.

How modern kids manage the sheer horror of being called nasty names on social media is beyond me.

We're in danger of breeding a generation of victims who get rewarded for being victims.

Rewarded by becoming Youtube stars thanks to posting some whiny nonsense...& even being called things like "brave" or "heroic" for revealing their horrible experiences.

They're neither. & telling them that they are is doing them no favours.

What happens when they grow up & move into an adult world that is filled with exactly the same unfairness, injustice & shitbrained little tossers that populated their childhood?
Who's going to tell you that you're a brave little soldier then?
No ****er that's who.
You'll be expected to handle it because you're a grown up...but you never learned to handle it as a child so where's your mechanism? Nowhere to be seen.

Brave & heroic consists of doing no more or less than ignoring the pathetic shit you get from knuckle dragging mouth breathers & getting on with the task at hand. Which is having a better life than them (which in my experience hasn't been much of a challenge)

Four lads catching you on the way back home
Four lads volleying your head repeatedly against a kerbstone
Pin you to a wall and take your dinner money
Drag you round a Portakabin and make you drink some piss
I say that's entertainment, that's entertainment

Four lads catching you on the way back home
Four lads volleying your head repeatedly against a kerbstone
Pin you to a wall and take your dinner money
Drag you round a Portakabin and make you drink some piss
I say that's entertainment, that's entertainment

:043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043::043:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566