Still want Pearson out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you have a problem with me explaining how I see things following a good run of results?

I don't, as I said in my post. I feel your posting style comes across as you offering opinion as fact. I'm therefore asking a question as to why you feel so sure about your opinion.

Ultimately, at best I see NP as developing into a junior Neil Warnock. He's ideal at a club requiring a certain job done but lacks what's required to deliver anything more.

Perhaps this bit sums up what I'm asking you most. If, like Warnock, NP had had chances to prove himself at a higher level and failed to deliver, I could see why you might say this. But he hasn't and so I'm curious as to why you feel that he shouldn't be able to. As I said in my post, I have no idea whatsoever how he will do until I see him there. If he gets the chance and he falls short then fair enough, but you seem very definite in how you think he'll do with no evidence to support it other than your own opinion.

I guess I'm just happy for people to have the opportunity to prove themselves without being pre-judged and maybe don't have such an inflated view of my own judgements as to assume that that is necessarily correct.

Last edited:
He got us out of the third tier at the first time of asking.
He got us into the play-offs in the Championship the following season.
We are currently top of the Championship and looking good.

Last season was always a write-off and nothing to do with Nigel.

FFS, leave him be he's doing a great job.
Spot on. What's not to like about the bloke. It's obvious he doesn't hold a grudge and has a genuine affection for the club or why would he return after going to Hull. He has proved to be "Fergyesque" in that he takes no shit off any playing staff. I personally like his dry interview style. He comes across as being totally focused. The best manager we've had in years. Some of our fans need a reality check because until we see Russians or a herd of camels roaming around "filbo" we are always going to be a club striving to reach the promised land which is the premiership and then trying to stay there but having said that I prefer watching us play Florist and Direby than Wigan and Fulham. Having said all that why oh why does Nigel keep picking Waggy.

I don't, as I said in my post. I feel your posting style comes across as you offering opinion as fact. I'm therefore asking a question as to why you feel so sure about your opinion.

Perhaps this bit sums up what I'm asking you most. If, like Warnock, NP had had chances to prove himself at a higher level and failed to deliver, I could see why you might say this. But he hasn't and so I'm curious as to why you feel that he shouldn't be able to. As I said in my post, I have no idea whatsoever how he will do until I see him there. If he gets the chance and he falls short then fair enough, but you seem very definite in how you think he'll do with no evidence to support it other than your own opinion.

I guess I'm just happy for people to have the opportunity to prove themselves without being pre-judged and maybe don't have such an inflated view of my own judgements as to assume that that is necessarily correct.

If I offer an opinion in a post, which I admit that I often do, I see nothing wrong in 'selling it' or trying to express it purposefully. I certainly enjoy posts that express some sort of conviction (whether I agree with it or not) rather than wishy-washy, pointless, nothing ones. Or indeed those that attack the poster or ridicule their spelling of grammar that add nothing to the discussion. I do accept that some people, maybe more than some, will find my opinions and way of presenting them annoying. But a forum without the sort of poster that I try to be, would be a lesser one in my view.

As for the fact that NP hasn't had the opportunity as yet to prove himself incapable of Premier League management, it's an opinion formed having watched him at work for three years. It's not uninformed at all. You don't need proof of something in order to form an opinion. Before David Cameron (or Gordon Brown for that matter) became Prime Minister, I had formed a view that they'd be poor at the job. If you have to watch someone balls things up before making a judgement, that's okay. But it does help in life to be able to form judgements before they become facts. Therefore, I didn't vote for Cameron and wouldn't have voted for Brown. Anyone that has followed football for decades, and seen players and managers come and go in their hundreds, surely gets some sense of what is effective and what isn't? Whilst I cannot be any more sure of my predictive opinion than anyone else, I do try to form it based on evidence and historical reference.

I can only see NP as aspiring to be a Mick McCarthy type Premier League manager. I think NP would deliver dull, functional football without aspiration of anything more than survival. And he'd be likely to fail at that. But McCarthy, Warnock and NP are good at what they do well. They are limited, but highly useful, managers in certain situations.

Its the same with any job. There are tossers that can talk the talk etc that everyone thinks are amazing. Then there are those that just do their job. Pearson does his job, and is doing it well. I couldn't give two shits If his media persona is rude, nor would I care if his team put in a bad performance. He knows more about managing a football club than I do.

Thank you for answering my question. I respect the fact that you are at least consistent with your approach and I guess it's just down to a different way of forming an opinion. I prefer to give someone a bit more of a chance to prove themselves but I appreciate that others may do things differently.

I think NP would deliver dull, functional football without aspiration of anything more than survival.

On this particular point, do you not think that NP is delivering a very different style of football to this at present? I will happily admit that functionality seemed to be the key word in his first spell in charge, but this season feels quite different to me. I'm not just saying this as we've won a few games recently. Even in some of the defeats earlier in the season and also at Birmingham last week (games we didn't win) the football was pretty expansive and attacking.

On this particular point, do you not think that NP is delivering a very different style of football to this at present? I will happily admit that functionality seemed to be the key word in his first spell in charge, but this season feels quite different to me. I'm not just saying this as we've won a few games recently. Even in some of the defeats earlier in the season and also at Birmingham last week (games we didn't win) the football was pretty expansive and attacking.

That's a tricky one. Whenever anyone has asked NP about style, he's been quite negative about it. Indeed, during our run of poor results earlier this season, he said in an interview that if this (meaning criticism about negative results) was what he got for trying to play attractive football, it was no wonder he preferred functional football. I think winning football often appears to be more expansive and attractive than it actually is. For example, on Tuesday we were poor in terms of quality of football, but most of us came away perfectly satisfied with the performance.

Of the current squad, Drinkwater is a delight to watch in a Lennon-esque way. I also appreciate Marshall at his best and Knockaert is a revelation. However, we're not a 'pretty' side. We don't entertain as a rule and I'd guess that NP tolerates the tricks of Knockaert rather than approves of them. In simple terms, I think his instinct is to win ugly but when we're on top, he likes his better players to show off a bit.

In the Premier League against much better attacks, the scope for entertainment and showing off for him would be virtually nil.

Thanks both for your replies and explanations. For what it's worth I've always liked Nigel and I believe had we kept him when he went to Hull, we would have won promotion by now. Dare I say it, I've always liked Neil Warnock, his teams aren't the prettiest to watch, but you know you are going to be in a battle when you come up against his team.

Lanx.I think it was probably less affection for the club and more £900k per annum.
I would come and manage you for half that....and I would throw in the odd smile for free.
I would build an empire with only Maws and Mackster as my support staff.
Rhiddles could act as foreign scout

Personally i couldn't care less about how he deals with the media.

I am still concerned about his man management skills though, i can not approve of the judgement that Vardy and Waghorn are better strikers than Beckford regardless of work rate in any given match. Unless our attacking options are improved in January i worry that we will struggle later on in the season.

Personally i couldn't care less about how he deals with the media.

I am still concerned about his man management skills though, i can not approve of the judgement that Vardy and Waghorn are better strikers than Beckford regardless of work rate in any given match. Unless our attacking options are improved in January i worry that we will struggle later on in the season.

I'd be more concerned that my manager is technically inept to the point that rain baffles him.

I'd agree a striker is a priority, if we feel the need to recruit.

An experienced leader preferably. Easier said than done of course. I just think we are really close but need to be less callow up top once in a while. A Steve Howard that can still play a bit.

Last edited:
I'd agree a striker is a priority, if we feel the need to recruit.

An experienced leader preferably. Easier said than done of course. I just think we are reallyclose but need to be less callow up top once in a while. A Steve Howard that can still play a bit.

Pearson is close. I saw it yesterday.View attachment 2012-11-01 15.56.41.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570