Strikers who leave then score. Plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIDTH! WIDTH! WIDTH!

All I fecking here these days.

People like this seem to think they know everything about football tactics from playing FM yet seem to think we HAVE to play 4-4-2 with out and out wide midfielders.

MON played most often with us without wide midfielders and he was pretty successful here. Chelsea are playing without wide midfielders and they aren't doing too badly atm are they, eh? The Brazil side of 1970 played without wide midfielders and they are pretty widely regarded as the greatest team of all-time.

For christ's sake! We are completely over exceeding expectations by miles, that was the first game I came away from all season when I didn't think we had a could have or even should have won.

4-4-2 is the most analysed, obvious and used formation in the English game, so it's the one that is most known how to deal with, it's no surprise that virtually none, if any of the top teams use it. Why the feck should we play that every week? Besides, Pearson should pick his formation, line-up and style of play based on the opposition, the one that will work best against the opposition's style of play not just play 4-4-2 with proper wide midfielders like Dyer and Gradel who incidentally offer no defensive qualities whatsoever, just because it's what fans are used to.

I've not played football computer game for about 10 years and have never claimed to be a great tacticion, but yesterday just showed what was lacking and that was outlets for our full backs. The number of times Berner hoofed the ball down the line when no one was there was ridiculous.

The hoof ball up to Howard doesn't work like it did last year, so if NP wants to play him he needs crosses coming in.

Our midfield is lacking at the moment which I believe is down to us playing 3 central players who don't seem to know where to play, especially Oakley, who I still think offers some quality, but isn't effective outwide and dirfts into the midle too much when Nielson needs him to move down the line.

They are all off on loan to gain match practise and return to us sharper, vying for their place. Gradel and DJ I expect to return and push for a 1st team place. Dickov is most probably off...

For me, I want Gallagher to be given a run up front.

I think we should re-think are game plan teams are catching us fast and we need goals because points win prizes not 1-1 draws so more width with gallagher and bring back gradel defo gives more option's, also a fast , center midfielder and can drop back fast like cleverly was and we need speed up front a good strong striker who can show the lads a thing when it come to scoring goals £££££ is the key now transfers is a step away and i think nigel has a trick up his sleeve time will tell and just grind some win hopefully come on boys!!!!!:icon_roll

Thanks for putting those two commas in midway. It saved me having to get my inhaler out.

I've not played football computer game for about 10 years and have never claimed to be a great tacticion, but yesterday just showed what was lacking and that was outlets for our full backs. The number of times Berner hoofed the ball down the line when no one was there was ridiculous.

The hoof ball up to Howard doesn't work like it did last year, so if NP wants to play him he needs crosses coming in.

Our midfield is lacking at the moment which I believe is down to us playing 3 central players who don't seem to know where to play, especially Oakley, who I still think offers some quality, but isn't effective outwide and dirfts into the midle too much when Nielson needs him to move down the line.

Good post!

This doesn't mean we need more width though, it could just mean the full backs shouldn't be hoofing the ball up field.

I agree the long-ball game doesn't seem to work in this division, and we look a lot better when we play Waghorn and Fryatt up front and try to play patiently. I'd be happy if Howard doesn't play for Leicester again.

I also agree our midfield is lacking, but rather in quality than knowing where to play, we've tried them in a 4-4-2 and it hasn't worked, we've tried them in the diamond formation and it worked for half a game.

I think our weakness is not in our shape or lack of width, or that our midfielders don't know where to play, but simply that Wellens is our only midfielder who is good enough (and I'm including wide players like Dyer, N'Guessan and Gradel in that), and even he blows and cold.

Last edited:
With regards wide play it certainly isn't necessary, and when our main two strikers at the moment are Fryatt and Waghorn - neither of hich are Howard or kermit style head-winners, it makes no sense either.

Also worth considering that virtually all our wingers seem to be utterly inconsistent- and unbelievably I'm including Lloyd Dyer in that :icon_lol:

Inconsistent or never get a run in the team?

Lloyd Dyer has had a run granted ,the rest never really had something of a decent run.

As regards to not needing width you do need pace and without the names mentioned Gradel etc, we become static and predictable.

What about Nicky Adams this guy has never been given a chance what so ever....he should be no longer ignored!

Fair point, and i suppose- though it was rightly pointed out Gradel isn't a striker- he did still score a few last season in league one.
With regards the problem in midfield, King scored in league one a few times... but here in the championship he hasn't got time from the defenders to get a shot in! Definitely, though- midfielders needed in the january transfer window please Nige!

Yes, Wellens has impressed me more than any other Leicester player this season but perhaps more than any other position they need quality players around them. If we could get another midfielder of his quality to work with him I feel his game would get even better.

Inconsistent or never get a run in the team?

Lloyd Dyer has had a run granted ,the rest never really had something of a decent run.

As regards to not needing width you do need pace and without the names mentioned Gradel etc, we become static and predictable.

What about Nicky Adams this guy has never been given a chance what so ever....he should be no longer ignored!

Lloyd is the worst for unpredictability of the lot, feel like if we are doing wing play then we should be looking at N'guessan- whose cross to fryatt against QPR was sublime- and Adams- who scored at Preston (is that correct? i think so)

If only Fifa was real, N'guessan seems to be unstoppable on that :icon_cool

Yes, Wellens has impressed me more than any other Leicester player this season but perhaps more than any other position they need quality players around them. If we could get another midfielder of his quality to work with him I feel his game would get even better.

I'm not sure the problem is quality, more the type of players playing with him, I think playing alongside an out and out defensive midfielder (something we don't have at the club) could give him alot more freedom and really benefit him, a diamond formation with

Gallagher
King or Oakley - Wellens
AN Other​

could be really effective, I think.

WIDTH! WIDTH! WIDTH!

All I fecking here these days.

People like this seem to think they know everything about football tactics from playing FM yet seem to think we HAVE to play 4-4-2 with out and out wide midfielders.

MON played most often with us without wide midfielders and he was pretty successful here. Chelsea are playing without wide midfielders and they aren't doing too badly atm are they, eh? The Brazil side of 1970 played without wide midfielders and they are pretty widely regarded as the greatest team of all-time.

For christ's sake! We are completely over exceeding expectations by miles, that was the first game I came away from all season when I didn't think we had a could have or even should have won.

4-4-2 is the most analysed, obvious and used formation in the English game, so it's the one that is most known how to deal with, it's no surprise that virtually none, if any of the top teams use it. Why the feck should we play that every week? Besides, Pearson should pick his formation, line-up and style of play based on the opposition, the one that will work best against the opposition's style of play not just play 4-4-2 with proper wide midfielders like Dyer and Gradel who incidentally offer no defensive qualities whatsoever, just because it's what fans are used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566