Sturrock is targeted by Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swindon Town boss Paul Sturrock could be in line for the vacant manager's job at Leicester City.
BBC Sport understands that an approach has been made to Sturrock from the Championship club, who recently parted company with boss Martin Allen.

Leicester's Championship rivals Coventry have already dampened speculation linking their manager Iain Dowie with the Walkers Stadium vacancy.

Sturrock has managed sides to four promotions in the last six seasons.

After spells in charge of Dundee United and St Johnstone, he led Plymouth from Division Three (now League Two) to the Championship, before a brief spell at Southampton when they were in the top flight.

Then, the Scot guided Sheffield Wednesday to promotion via the League One play-offs in his first season, and after joining Swindon last November, steered them back into League One at the first time of asking.

:102:

he could do the job, unfairly treated at southampton,

BBC said:
Sturrock has managed sides to four promotions in the last six seasons
So, people don't like him for personal reasons then, because as far as I can see the above quote is very optimistic.

Has done a good job at all his clubs expect when at saints and he wasn't exactly given much time. Doubt Mandy will give him it either.

He looked like he was going to be a good manager at one stage, but he spoiled it at Sheffield Wednesday.

Last edited:
Has done a good job at all his clubs expect when at saints and he wasn't exactly given much time. Doubt Mandy will give him it either.

Why on earth do people keep saying this?! As far as we know, MA was sacked for off-the-pitch reasons; the pair of them didn't get on. There's been no indication that MM is gonna chop our new manager after a couple of games. As long as he gets on with MM and we build on our recent form then I can't see why MM would sack the new manager?

More realistic than dowie IMO.

I agree with the above and with Melts.

He may have a serious charisma failing (Sturrock, not Melts!), but he would be likely to take the job and he has a history of getting clubs promoted.

Of those realistically being linked (i.e. assuming Jewell is not interested), this is the best one so far IMO.

I would be amazed if he even registers on Mandaric's radar, MM has stated he wants somebody with a more proven record at this and possibly higher levels, Sturrock's only experiences as a championship or top level manager have been pretty mediocre at best, had a fairly disastrous spell at Saints and hardly set the world alight at Wednesday once they were in the championship.

No doubts he is an excellent lower division manager, but his record suggests limitations once in the upper reaches, hardly fills the criteria. Agent talk IMO, no doubt another manager after a contract extension from his present club.

Why on earth do people keep saying this?! As far as we know, MA was sacked for off-the-pitch reasons; the pair of them didn't get on. There's been no indication that MM is gonna chop our new manager after a couple of games. As long as he gets on with MM and we build on our recent form then I can't see why MM would sack the new manager?

i agree

1) Rob Kelly and MM got on well hence he was here for awhile after MM tookover,

2)NW and MM got on well, but MM didnt see NW as the man to take this club forward

3)MA thought he was bigger then the club and MM didnt like the fact MA thought he was a big man and he was giving it big to player, leading to a bust-up between the 2 and there was only going to be one manager,

I agree with the above and with Melts.

He may have a serious charisma failing (Sturrock, not Melts!), but he would be likely to take the job and he has a history of getting clubs promoted.

Of those realistically being linked (i.e. assuming Jewell is not interested), this is the best one so far IMO.

But not from the championship, big risk for me.

Last edited:
i agree

1) Rob Kelly and MM got on well hence he was here for awhile after MM tookover,

2)NW and MM got on well, but MM didnt see NW as the man to take this club forward

3)MA thought he was bigger then the club and MM didnt like the fact MA thought he was a big man and he was giving it big to player, leading to a bust-up between the 2 and there was only going to be one manager,

Well, you've just mentioned three Leicester managers that haven't managed to total 6 months service. He came with a reputation from Portsmouth and finally, he says that he'll go through 20 managers if necessary. Where do you see signs of patience?

Well, you've just mentioned three Leicester managers that haven't managed to total 6 months service. He came with a reputation from Portsmouth and finally, he says that he'll go through 20 managers if necessary. Where do you see signs of patience?

agreed diken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670