Target men

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyfox

Dont know if anybody heard the phone in after the game but there was a debate about wether leicester should sign a striker.

Ithink we most definately do need one..especially as back up.

Though iwould like to see Waghorn given a chance to play upfront with fryatt...because i beleive it would give us better options.

I dont buy you have to play a target man...How often do man utd use one,and look were its got them.

Whats your thoughts

My thoughts are that phone-ins on Radio Leicester are not a great starting point for an argument.
I also think that celery is very stringy.

From the match I have seen and commentaries that I have heard, I have been pleasantly surprised that Steve Howard appears to be able to take this league by storm. He is in there fighting for everything, causing defences lots of problems. I thought he might not cope with the pace but he has made the step up well.

From the match I have seen and commentaries that I have heard, I have been pleasantly surprised that Steve Howard appears to be able to take this league by storm. He is in there fighting for everything, causing defences lots of problems. I thought he might not cope with the pace but he has made the step up well.

He was voted Derbys player of the Season when they got promoted, why has it surprised you? :102:

And slyfox, ManUtd play a very different system to us thats why, they dont rely so much on crosses and set-pieces, Howard set-up so many goals last season, the top assists in League One i seem to remember, or close to it anyway.

Dont know if anybody heard the phone in after the game but there was a debate about wether leicester should sign a striker.

Ithink we most definately do need one..especially as back up.

Though iwould like to see Waghorn given a chance to play upfront with fryatt...because i beleive it would give us better options.

I dont buy you have to play a target man...How often do man utd use one,and look were its got them.

Whats your thoughts

A target man isn't just a guy who wins the ball in the air, it is someone who holds the ball up and an outlet ball. Man utd have Berbatov who is 6ft+ rooney can hold the ball up and has been used as a target as was ronaldo before he left.

A target man isn't just a guy who wins the ball in the air, it is someone who holds the ball up and an outlet ball. Man utd have Berbatov who is 6ft+ rooney can hold the ball up and has been used as a target as was ronaldo before he left.

They also have some of the best midfielders in the world and rarely need to resort to hoofing it. Not a great comparison really:icon_bigg

What worries me is that if we are a team dependent on "a target man" style of play, it makes it easier for teams (especially in this league) to combat it. I have no problems with Howard i think he is doing OK. But when we make a change and replace Fryatt with Waghorn we are not changing the style of play. I would like to see Howard replaced with Waghorn during a game. I believe that this would make it harder to defend against because after becoming used to our system the opposition defence will need to re-organise in order to cope with an attack not playing to the front man, Perhaps if we get a couple against Barnsley NP could try this to see how it works.
I am just a little concerned that we will become predictable in attack and teams will be aware of it

This Kermogant who we look quite likely to sign seems to be a target man, but Howard is doing an excellent job in that depeartment at the moment. The only reason we will need another is when Howard is suspended which seems certain with all the fouls he's commiting at the minute.

Last edited:
This Kermogant who we look quite likely to sign seems to be a target man, but Howard is doing an excellent job in that depeartment at the moment. The only reason we will need another is when Howard is suspended which seems certain with all the fouls he's commiting at the minute.

The longer the 'trial' seems to go on, the less convinced I am that we are going to sign him. If he was good enough, then I can't imagine it would take long to decide on his 'qualities'.

The longer the 'trial' seems to go on, the less convinced I am that we are going to sign him. If he was good enough, then I can't imagine it would take long to decide on his 'qualities'.

If he's still on trial then clearly City are still interested. Perhaps it's a case of waiting for him to recover from injury/improve his fitness, before making a final decision.

It has been mentioned many times before that it is probably a similar situation to with Berner, he washere for ages to build up his fitness before we signed him.

What worries me is that if we are a team dependent on "a target man" style of play, it makes it easier for teams (especially in this league) to combat it. I have no problems with Howard i think he is doing OK. But when we make a change and replace Fryatt with Waghorn we are not changing the style of play. I would like to see Howard replaced with Waghorn during a game. I believe that this would make it harder to defend against because after becoming used to our system the opposition defence will need to re-organise in order to cope with an attack not playing to the front man, Perhaps if we get a couple against Barnsley NP could try this to see how it works.
I am just a little concerned that we will become predictable in attack and teams will be aware of it

I agree with you..there has to be an outlet, last season we tried d.j and fryatt it never worked because d.j kept getting offside.

On the other hand waghorn, even though he has not got the height, he is very strong and holds the ball up well and is looking to take the defence on..which will cause defences problems.

Steve Howard rarely looks to beat his man..which is a shame as yesterday he tried it,and would have been through on goal,only for Mcauley to foul him and conceed a free kick,which Dyer nearly scored from.

Most of the teams in this league use a target man, and it doesn't mean that they struggle. All that we need is for Howard to be better than their defender and he can cause problems.

Waghorn does give us other options, especially if substituted for SH, but clearly Howard has been effective enough so far that NP hasn't felt the need to mix it up, and tbh I agree with him.

I agree with you..there has to be an outlet, last season we tried d.j and fryatt it never worked because d.j kept getting offside.

On the other hand waghorn, even though he has not got the height, he is very strong and holds the ball up well and is looking to take the defence on..which will cause defences problems.

Steve Howard rarely looks to beat his man..which is a shame as yesterday he tried it,and would have been through on goal,only for Mcauley to foul him and conceed a free kick,which Dyer nearly scored from.

Certainly was nice to see, but he was never going to get that ball in a million years and I thought McAuley was a bit unlucky to get a yellow.

Last edited:
Certainly was nice to see, but he was never going to get that ball in a million years and I thought McAuley was a bit unlucky to get a yellow.

That is what expererience brings to a team. Howard just pushed the ball ahead knowing McCauley would take him out with ball nowhere near. Howard clatters over arms outstretched pleading with ref.

Classic play straight out of the Dickov Playbook.

Perhaps NP is looking for anyone that will improve the team in any position?

Perhaps he can't find anyone that fits that criteria?

If he signs Carlos Tevez and Jermaine Defoe then I would question his managerial ability if Steve H was starting...unless the teams performances and results were good, in which case I would keep my stupid mouth shut and try not to worry too much. :102:

I don't think that's true. Certainly at Ipswich, our game was much more varied than theirs (and weirdly, given their football heritage, they were attempting far more of a target man game despite starting with that useless tosser Stead). I think, on the evidence of the 2 games that I've seen this season, we play a wide range of different tactics going forward - but Howard remains incredibly useful because he draws the centre backs to him because of the damage he can do if left unmarked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669