TBers Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
attachment.php

you look a little like Joey in this picture

181230__joey_l.jpg

I agree. But I thought MK might want to know, so he can look out for the signs. I'm just trying to help...

I'm assuming you have a good zoom facility but out of interest how close were you when you took that and how fast can they move?

I may be completely wrong but he has a very shallow depth of field so it's unlikely to be a long zoom lens, more likely a macro perhaps, so would have to be within about 12" I would guess.

If it's colder they are really rather quicker than he would be, looks warm there though!

It is quite a big zoom lens Matt, a 100-400mm. I just like a shallow depth of field for some reason (seems to work well in most wildlife situations). And Siouxsie, the lens will only focus down to about six feet (unless I put extension tubes on) and I was admittedly focusing as close as I could, so I guess I was six feet away. Or rather, the lens was six feet away, I'm another foot or so behind the camera with a nice big tripod between me and the snake which helps keep me from being bitten! If I had a macro lens - and I am looking for one at the moment - I will have to be careful not to get myself into trouble, Steve Irwin style. :icon_eek:

The general rule with snakes is they can't strike further than their body length, and they can't turn in mid air, so if you're looking at a 3 foot snake like that Mohave, you should theoretically be OK if you're four or five feet away and not directly in front of it. However it pays to know which snakes are aggressive and might go after you and which are more sedate and would much rather escape. I was extra vigilant with this Mohave which is not only loaded with incredibly powerful and often lethal nuerotoxins, but it's also renowned as being the most aggressive of all rattlesnakes, so it could actively come after you if it got really pissed off. To be honest I was ready to absolutely leg it at the first sign of movement! :icon_bigg

There are exceptions to every rule of course, such as the Hog-nosed Pit Viper I got some photos of in Guatemala. I knew it was pretty deadly but only found out after I got close ups of it from over its shoulder that it was renowned for striking twice its body length and being able to change direction in mid air. So I could have been really ****ed!

The bottom line is, if you don't mess with a snake the chance of getting bitten is almost nil. On the whole they'd much rather disappear. In fact, the only ones you see are the ones that get caught out; ordinarily they will avoid humans at all costs.

More often than not, when caught out like these ones were, they'll freeze and wait it out. If you don't poke it with a stick, it'll probably just stay there or eventually slink off, trying not to draw attention to itself. Some of the smaller, thinner, harmless ones are like lightning though.

Right, snake lecture over. Well done anyone who bothered reading down this far. I'll leave you with a not too surprising statistic - more than 50% of all snakebite victims in the South West USA are drunk males between 18 and 40! Hmmm, work that one out.... :icon_lol:

3 Weeks today i'll be in Tucson dodging those pesky critters. I can't stand snakes or scorpions and the GF wants to take me out hiking, yikes!

Right, snake lecture over. Well done anyone who bothered reading down this far. I'll leave you with a not too surprising statistic - more than 50% of all snakebite victims in the South West USA are drunk males between 18 and 40! Hmmm, work that one out.... :icon_lol:

I read it, and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670