Temporary Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redditch Fox said:
I'm reluctant to have too much of a go at Dave Bassett because I wouldn't be surprised to see him back over the next month or so.

However, like Geoff Boycott, Fred Trueman in cricket - Dave Bassett does a wonderful self-sell as a football manager. He tells everyone about how many promotions he's achieved but leaves out the number of times he's taken clubs down.

That said, he probably has enough ring craft to steady the ship.

In the spirit of Christmas (Not) - could i dare to mention that he might also bring along with him, his buddy Dennis Wise!!! - and on a final note of festive goodwill, have you noticed how many appearances, Callum, hero of the poker war, continues to manage in a season?

Well with forest he was very unlucky with them, he got them promoted and they had 2 awesome strikers, the club sold one of them behind his back in the summer and then the 2nd went on strike in protest so basically the board's actions had wrecked his team, his first game was against arsenal which is an easy way to start a rot. But yes his record is far from consisitent but I am only interested in his record in this league, our situation is nothing to do with the premiership but is the championship.

Chrysalis said:
Well with forest he was very unlucky with them, he got them promoted and they had 2 awesome strikers, the club sold one of them behind his back in the summer and then the 2nd went on strike in protest so basically the board's actions had wrecked his team, his first game was against arsenal which is an easy way to start a rot. But yes his record is far from consisitent but I am only interested in his record in this league, our situation is nothing to do with the premiership but is the championship.

Good points.

I suppose that the problem about Bassett is that clubs who are doing ok don't want to know about him - so he is associated with troubled situations. I was depressed when he was appointed last time round, but he is a viable short term fix.

The big problem with Levein for me is that I doubt whether he can get the best out of the players at his disposal - although I appreciate that there are exceptions.

My first preference is that Levein keeps us up - and then moves on (because I'm reasonably convinced that he is not right in the long term);

My second preference is that he is replaced with a stop gap like Bassett who is simply asked to secure safety....should not be a too difficult task providing that he is given sufficient games;

My least preference is to appoint a long term replacement in panic in mid season and find that there were better options in the summer.

Not sure what my preference is but I would guess in this order.

1 - Get rid of craig within 2 weeks. And get replacemtn in by 20th jan. Allowing him transfer window, this would be proper replacement who we expect to stay at least 18 months.

2 - Same as above but with stop gap manager like basset who we can string along tell him if he does well the job is his long term etc.

3 - Keep craig but give him until at least the summer if we allow him to spend during jan then he has to have the rest of the season to do his stuff.

and my worst choice.

4 - Keep craig and then sack him in march/april, the new manager would have very little games and no transfer window I dont see the point of sacking in spring.

My view of the world would be as follows, sack Levein now, and bring in a temporary manager to steady the ship, somebody like a Bassett, Roy Evans, Jim Smith or better still MB's suggestion of MON although I am not too sure he would accept, give them until the end of the season to try and keep us in th league and build a platform, a little bit like Gordan Lee did when Pleat was sacked, which then gives the board time to assess who would be available and assess the right candidate. I believe appointing a permanent manager in the summer would widen our options and TBH gives us more chance of appointing the right man and him being available.

The only reason I believe fans are against sacking Levein, is the fear they make a panic appointment and we end up in the same boat or worse.

Last edited:
newtonfox said:
i think its the money side of thing whast would it cost us to get rid of him ???

newtonfox

I dont agree, at the end of the day, what cost relegation, and now it is appearing more than an even chance it could happen, the Connolly deal was a superb financial bonus and with the additional million virtually if not definately assured, surely that money should be used to restabilise the club and inject the much needed lift to bring back the spirit. If a new man was bought in now, be it on a temporary or permanent deal, the lift it would give the club would be massive, and if the results could be improved on then I really see no reason why the gates would not show signs of improvement.

At this present time I would rather see a new manager come in and maybe bring in 2 or 3 loans than see the current incumbent fritter away more of our cash on 3 or 4 permanent deals. The current squad is good enough for a top half finish, the problem IMO is the manager, who even at this stage of the season cannot state his best XI.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I dont agree, at the end of the day, what cost relegation, and now it is appearing more than an even chance it could happen, the Connolly deal was a superb financial bonus and with the additional million virtually if not definately assured, surely that money should be used to restabilise the club and inject the much needed lift to bring back the spirit. If a new man was bought in now, be it on a temporary or permanent deal, the lift it would give the club would be massive, and if the results could be improved on then I really see no reason why the gates would not show signs of improvement.

At this present time I would rather see a new manager come in and maybe bring in 2 or 3 loans than see the current incumbent fritter away more of our cash on 3 or 4 permanent deals. The current squad is good enough for a top half finish, the problem IMO is the manager, who even at this stage of the season cannot state his best XI.

i agree with you but the last time we where in this mess we went into admin
so i dont think the board will have the balls to do it imo,i do hope they prove me wrong bring back o'neil

Last edited:
newtonfox said:
i agree with you but the last time we where in this mess we went into admin
so i dont think the board will have the balls to do it imo,i do hope they prove me wrong bring back o'neil

Totally different situation, we picked the wrong manager, and then armed with 20 odd million pounds and a shit load of blank cheques for new contracts, plus we had committed to the new ground and were spending money we didnt have. When we were relegated it was clear we had gambled everything on staying in the premiership.

It appears that we are now operating within pretty strict financial budgets and business plans, we seem to be budgeting against worst case scenarios, as oppose to the rather optimistic view by Mr Elsom and his board. Whilst we appear to be behind our original budget in terms of attendence revenue, it would however appear there is money available from additional revenue sources outside of the original budgets, ie the Carling Cup run, granted it wont be massive but it will help, the sale of Connolly and the upcoming FA Cup tie vs Spurs, IMO there is definately enough money in the kitty to be to afford a change in management, however a decision like this is likely to have repercussions on transfer budgets.

IMO the only decsion to be made is do you keep Levein and allow him to buy 3 or 4 new players on permanent deals, or do you make the change and maybe limit the new gaffer to a few loan deals until the summer ?

FOX MENTAL said:
Sticking with CL in my opinion is going to be the best option. from watching the team this season i think it looks like we have a quality squad, one which i feel under CL is capable of getting promotion next season. Cl has come in and cut the budget signifficantly and built up a high quality young squad. admittedly the last 2 games or so have been an underachievment but it is still a rebuilding process that is yet to be completed. I don't believe there is any doubt in his ability to buy players and letting him strengthen the squad in january and seeing how things turn out till the end of the season and giving him the one after aswell would be the best option!
Tend to agree with you. Look at the football we are now playing, creating a lot of chances just unfortunate we are not putting them away. After watching the hoof ball we were playing this is a improvement. We just need anybody who can stick it in the net and everybody would be elated. Craig just needs to finish the jigsaw and next year will show the benefit.

Last edited:
Bilborough Fox said:
Tend to agree with you. Look at the football we are now playing, creating a lot of chances just unfortunate we are not putting them away. After watching the hoof ball we were playing this is a improvement. We just need anybody who can stick it in the net and everybody would be elated. Craig just needs to finish the jigsaw and next year will show the benefit.

I just cant see it myself, Bilborough, every credit to you for keeping the faith with Levein, but isnt this the same that was being said last season, get the season out of the way, let him get his own players in and then watch us go, well I am watching us go......down.

He no longer convinces me that he has the tactically awareness or a grip on championship football to turn things around let alone make us into a team capable of challenging for the play offs next season. As for your jigsaw analogy, the problem IMO appears to be him finding which way the pieces fit into the jigsaw, he has had a over a year now we look no nearer a finished jigsaw today as the day he started.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I just cant see it myself, Bilborough, every credit to you for keeping the faith with Levein, but isnt this the same that was being said last season, get the season out of the way, let him get his own players in and then watch us go, well I am watching us go......down.

He no longer convinces me that he has the tactically awareness or a grip on championship football to turn things around let alone make us into a team capable of challenging for the play offs next season. As for your jigsaw analogy, the problem IMO appears to be him finding which way the pieces fit into the jigsaw, he has had a over a year now we look no nearer a finished jigsaw today as the day he started.

m8 i repect what you have to say ,just a thought that has come to me carnt we make CL director of football then bring a new man in like we did with MA and BB

newtonfox

PFKAKTF FOX said:

I understand your concerns, but I've watch City for over 50 years and every time we change managers mid-season the new man has difficulty working with the exsisting player and rarely do results pick up. Looking at who's available that we can afford it would mean going back to the long ball crap we suffered under MA and that was as dismal as when David Pleat managed us. I think we'll ok this season and should reap the benefit next. I agree that certain peice of the jigsaw don't fit but also think that they will never fit because they are lazy arses or just not good enough. We need to replace them with people who care who they are playing for, ie. the club and the fans , not them bleeding selves.

Bilborough Fox said:
I understand your concerns, but I've watch City for over 50 years and every time we change managers mid-season the new man has difficulty working with the exsisting player and rarely do results pick up. Looking at who's available that we can afford it would mean going back to the long ball crap we suffered under MA and that was as dismal as when David Pleat managed us. I think we'll ok this season and should reap the benefit next. I agree that certain peice of the jigsaw don't fit but also think that they will never fit because they are lazy arses or just not good enough. We need to replace them with people who care who they are playing for, ie. the club and the fans , not them bleeding selves.

But Levein has now bought the majority of these to the club or given some of the others extensions, it is pretty much his team, surely he should research into their character's a little more then before signing them, or give them the old hairdryer treatment to get their arses in gear. At the end of the day the buck stops with the manager, and he is not doing anything to convince me he has the skills or more so the character to turn things around.

His record of transfer signings last season was very good, Maybury, De Vries, McCarthy, Hughes and Kenton were pretty decent signings, although MDV did find it difficult, however this season has been a very mixed bag, based on form shown so far, some decent signings in Gerrbrand, Hume and Smith, albeit on loan, he has also signed some players who at best can be described as poor, Douglas, Sylla, Gilbert, Johansson who appears to be his scapegoat and Kisnorbo who will be his downfall, his flat refusal to drop this player despite many below par performances has been reminiscent of the blind faith shown to Scowy by MA.The rest of his signings IMO have done nothing except prove themselves to be adequate squad players. This is the reason we are struggling he has been unable to motivate and gel this bunch of individuals into a team and for that reason he must leave.

So we have a Temporary Manager Shortlist of

Dave 'Wobbly' Bassett
Jim Smith
Roy Evans (assisted by Pat and Barry no doubt)
Big Ron The Racist Atkinson
Bobby Robson
Elliott & Taggert
Dion Dublin

Anymore ? :102: :102: :icon_cry:

newtonfox said:
hope not but hey lets hope DD does the job all the players all look up to him

newtonfox

ps hello eveyone ive been a season ticket holder for a few yrs now and only just got on the net so beare with me while i get used to this

:098:
i so pleased that i have been put forward for the job, but honestly lads i don't think i'm up to it.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
But Levein has now bought the majority of these to the club or given some of the others extensions, it is pretty much his team, surely he should research into their character's a little more then before signing them, or give them the old hairdryer treatment to get their arses in gear. At the end of the day the buck stops with the manager, and he is not doing anything to convince me he has the skills or more so the character to turn things around.

His record of transfer signings last season was very good, Maybury, De Vries, McCarthy, Hughes and Kenton were pretty decent signings, although MDV did find it difficult, however this season has been a very mixed bag, based on form shown so far, some decent signings in Gerrbrand, Hume and Smith, albeit on loan, he has also signed some players who at best can be described as poor, Douglas, Sylla, Gilbert, Johansson who appears to be his scapegoat and Kisnorbo who will be his downfall, his flat refusal to drop this player despite many below par performances has been reminiscent of the blind faith shown to Scowy by MA.The rest of his signings IMO have done nothing except prove themselves to be adequate squad players. This is the reason we are struggling he has been unable to motivate and gel this bunch of individuals into a team and for that reason he must leave.

Got no problem with your assesments of the players. Douglas is unreliable sometimes decent sometimes w**k, Sylla together with Williams are two of the idlest players I have ever seen.Sylla performs well for short periods and disappears. Williams is probably the most gifted player at the club but doesn't want to play, just strolls about the field. Kisnorbo is another one who doesn't fit in anywhere, lacks skill to be attacking midfielder, lacks ability to tackle properly when playing the holding role or in defence, just a waste of space. Don't know what the problem is with Johansson. Replace these players and you might find a vast improvement. Maybe even the final part of the jigsaw.

Last edited:
highland fox said:
So we have a Temporary Manager Shortlist of

Dave 'Wobbly' Bassett
Jim Smith
Roy Evans (assisted by Pat and Barry no doubt)
Big Ron The Racist Atkinson
Bobby Robson
Elliott & Taggert
Dion Dublin

Anymore ? :102: :102: :icon_cry:

But at the end of the day HF we aint the board of directors and it is them that will ultimatley decide Levein's fate and who and how he is replaced.

Apart from your goodself, there wasnt too many on here tipping Levein for the job, so a straw poll on here doesnt necessarily mean the new manager will come from that list, I am sure if we were employed by LCFC and had the time to research and had access to the availability of potential replacements then I am sure we could produce a fairly comprehensive list and some would probably surprise a few.

Don't mention that plod Bassett. A temporary manager won't solve the problem...(we've had too many) Give Levein until early January, then for God's sake find a real, proven talent not a series a tired, fired losers or an ex-Scottish team manager. (Notice how well Hearts are doing now?):118:

Toronto said:
Don't mention that plod Bassett. A temporary manager won't solve the problem...(we've had too many) Give Levein until early January, then for God's sake find a real, proven talent not a series a tired, fired losers or an ex-Scottish team manager. (Notice how well Hearts are doing now?):118:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669