Testing the waters

Is Paolo Sousa the right man for the job?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail-798955-798993.png

I must admit, I was easily swayed by the Cardiff win. But if we played like that every match then we'd be top of the league - if we'd played like that last night then I wouldn't have been surprised to see the scoreline reversed.

I wanted to give Sousa time, but it just seems obvious now that he hasn't got a clue what he's doing, he seems to have no idea what his best side is and he has no idea of how to change a game when he has to. We were getting battered last night and he seemed to have no clue of how to stop it and just ended up sat down with his assistant, resigned to the fact that we were being destroyed by the only team in the league worse than us.

We might have over performed last season, but we didn't over perform this much - our team is nowhere near as bad as results have suggested. Time to get a new manager in I think.

so you just admitted you change your mind based on the result of the last game.

so you just admitted you change your mind based on the result of the last game.

When he was appointed I was very underwhelmed, and the first few fixtures did nothing to assuage my fears - I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing during the Palace match - but after the Cardiff game I thought we really might have turned the corner. I think a lot of us were very optimistic after that game.

For me, the last two league fixtures have confirmed that my initial reaction to his appointment was the correct one, since the Cardiff victory we have played far worse than we have played at any point this season. I wanted to give Sousa 10 games before I made my mind up, but after that humiliation the other night, Portsmouth have done it for me.

If you are asking, 'Has one match (awful though it was!) convinced me that Sousa is a poor manager?', then the answer is, no. I think that, over time, he will pull us away from relegation and, just possibly, into the play off places.

I believe that we are trying to make a quantum change, and that the delays in announcing the new board (and the cash) did not help.

Whether I would have appointed Sousa is neither here nor there, I do not see a realistic candidate to do a better job now. It would be grossly unfair to pitch Powell into this position, I think MON would look for a bigger club - and the rest, well please!

If you are asking, 'Has one match (awful though it was!) convinced me that Sousa is a poor manager?', then the answer is, no. I think that, over time, he will pull us away from relegation and, just possibly, into the play off places.

I believe that we are trying to make a quantum change, and that the delays in announcing the new board (and the cash) did not help.

Whether I would have appointed Sousa is neither here nor there, I do not see a realistic candidate to do a better job now. It would be grossly unfair to pitch Powell into this position, I think MON would look for a bigger club - and the rest, well please!

Old Fox, I applaude your faith. However...

Having lost the dressing room, introduced pretty but inaffective tactics, turned a solid defence into the worst in the division and signed some absolute GARBAGE, I have to disagree with you.

Sousa's days are numbered.

alex, ashmeister08, Babylon, Bobbins, Calderfox, ch4mbo, ChrisFilter, drew, earthboy1972, FOX Franks, FryattFox, Han, I Am Pedro, indierich06, jas123, jb5000, Johan, lanxfox jnr, Listy, markyp224, martin peters, MHS, Mike - True Blue Tinter, Mikeoadby, ndchester, olip6, Papasmurf, pipes, rchalmers83, Scodger Cubs, Scotfox, Spanky Fox, Stu, The Grand Old Fox of York, The Old Fox, The Voice From Above, whenyoursmiling....

Have you changed your mind?

Yes...

That's mostly what I think too (though I chose Powell to succeed NP in the TB poll). Friday's performance was totally unacceptable on every imaginable level, but I am inclined to think that September's results show us making progress - and I still anticipate much better things with Waggy, Abe and Vitor settling into the team and some of last season's stars recovering that form.

I have a queasy feeling about tomorrow, not least because after the City Ground fiasco last year we were totally dismal against Bristol C a couple of days later.

Personally Sousa or no Sousa, I think we'll end up lower mid table. The main problem at the club has been the players attitude to change at board level and the circumstances surrounding the exit of the popular Pearson.

Sousa strikes me as a good coach but a very poor manager. And whoever takes the hotseat will need to be stubborn in the face of interference. Do I really want us to be peddling in the bottom scrapping with this man in charge whose arrogance appears to be destroying the talents of the younger half of our squad? Personally no. I am find it very difficult to find any enthusiasm for Sousa after Friday. That's the worst I have witnessed in person ever!

My negativity mostly stems from the ownership issue and that Sousa is going exactly to type from Swansea and QPR fans comments.

The main problem at the club has been the players attitude to change at board level and the circumstances surrounding the exit of the popular Pearson..

I think that you may well have hit upon something. Almost everybody agrees that Sousa is not short of self confidence, but he talked, from the start, of promotion within two seasons. The club, as a whole, seem to have accepted that it will not happen this season.

promotion within two seasons. The club, as a whole, seem to have accepted that it will not happen this season.

I can't think of many supporters who would expect it this season either.

Next season would be more realistic but from which division?

images

I said I'd let you know as and when. Well it was the team's non-response to going 2-1 down that did for me.

Fully agree with David Gwilliam's lobbying for Chris Powell to be given a decent chance as caretaker. If that doesn't work out, and assuming no second coming, I would like to see us get in Lee Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669