The absent midfielders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Sheffield. Bad result. Unfortunately I had invite to an exe box together with my tribe. Didn't help matters, but they passed an opinion that agreed with mine. Why did three of our four midfielders not bother fighting for the ball, lack the skill or commitment to do something with the ball rather than give it away. Hughes was the only one to put himself about and produced anything worthwhile. We missed Joey and Ryan today badly. We resorted to the same type of game that they played by by-passing the midfield and we are not good at that. Either these lads want to play for us or they should f**k off. Bring some players in there with some commitment and passion. Don't care if they are young or old, as long as they are not like the three ars***les who turned out today.

Last edited:
I think cloning is the future for City:
Birchenall, Cottee, Cross, Fern, Glover, McLintock, Sammels, Stringfellow, Weller, Whitworth, Worthington...and Banks would make a good start.

:038: :038: :038:

If 1 or 2 players show a bit of passion and get stuck in, it usually results in a few others doing so too. Thats all we need, because we definately have the ability in the team (Excluding Kisnorbo and Hamill).

Foxes 4 Eva said:
If 1 or 2 players show a bit of passion and get stuck in, it usually results in a few others doing so too. Thats all we need, because we definately have the ability in the team (Excluding Kisnorbo and Hamill).

Do you reckon Williams got any passion, he loses the ball and stands there with his hands in the air. Doesn't he think that if he fights back he might just win the ball and do something useful. Sorry in all my time of watching city I've never seen a lazier player.

Bilborough Fox said:
Do you reckon Williams got any passion, he loses the ball and stands there with his hands in the air. Doesn't he think that if he fights back he might just win the ball and do something useful. Sorry in all my time of watching city I've never seen a lazier player.
Williams only plays well when he can be bothered, and lets face it, it isn't often enough. He can pass the ball around, but you're right, he doesn't get stuck in.

I was sort of thinking of players like Hume, Gudjonsson, Paddy Mac, Gerrbrand and Stearman. These sort of players get stuck in and aren't affraid to tackle. If others in the team follow there examples, and get stuck in like we Leicester fans love, then we'll be alright.

The only problem is Levein though! He was a fiery character when he played, seems very calm now which isn't good at all. He just needs to motivate the players, and if that don't work, kick em up the ass a bit.

Bilborough Fox said:

Do you think getting an older head in the middle would help BF,a 'leader' type player?Problem is a lot of them haven't been here long and they seem to show no passion for the Club.Ryan Smith seemed to more passion for the Club last week and he's on loan.

Foxes 4 Eva said:
Williams only plays well when he can be bothered, and lets face it, it isn't often enough. He can pass the ball around, but you're right, he doesn't get stuck in.

I was sort of thinking of players like Hume, Gudjonsson, Paddy Mac, Gerrbrand and Stearman. These sort of players get stuck in and aren't affraid to tackle. If others in the team follow there examples, and get stuck in like we Leicester fans love, then we'll be alright.

The only problem is Levein though! He was a fiery character when he played, seems very calm now which isn't good at all. He just needs to motivate the players, and if that don't work, kick em up the ass a bit.

Does make me smile when people criticise CL for having no passion/desire in his voice.He's got an Edinburgh accent,thats how they sound.If he was Glaswegian they would say he's got lots passion/desire.They no doubt think everybody from Scotland speaks with the same accent and theres no regional variations.

highland fox said:
Do you think getting an older head in the middle would help BF,a 'leader' type player?Problem is a lot of them haven't been here long and they seem to show no passion for the Club.Ryan Smith seemed to more passion for the Club last week and he's on loan.

Quite probably, somebody to play alongside Joey distrubing the ball and releasing Ryan & Hughes to do their damage giving the strikers a lot more clear cut chances by dragging the defenders around.

"Quite probably, somebody to play alongside Joey distrubing the ball and releasing Ryan & Hughes to do their damage giving the strikers a lot more clear cut chances by dragging the defenders around".

Gareth Williams is the man for that job, can`t believe the people on here slag the bloke off, they used to call Gary Mac "lazy," GW is not lazy at all the guy`s a genius and far too good for us, and you bluddy lot ! don`t you see the skill, vision and passing ability he has, people like him are gold dust in this division and make all the difference, the problem we have is not Williams it`s the 4 from Hearts, Maybury, Kisnorbo, Hammill and MDV, ALL of these were bluddy awful today and cost us the game, we missed Joey and Ryan for sure but the fact we did`nt take any confidence from the Spurs game worries me most if coming from 2 down to beat a team 4th in the Premiership can`t lift us then what can ?

Last edited:
I think there's a middle ground between these two posts. williams doesn't put a foot in often enough, but is willing to track back and take responsibility for his man. he also has a little bit of flair, creativity and an eye for a pass (as does hughesy). however, kisnorbo, hammill and maybury demonstrated everything that has been bad about leicester this year. pk was slow, defensive and gave the ball away. jh gave no attacking threat whatsoever, delivered no quality into the box and was 90% to blame for the first goal due to his pathetic attempt at a 'tackle'. am was nervous, indecisive and the only creative idea he had all game was a massive hoof up in the general direction of mdv. today summed up the whole season - it was inept and it was pathetic.

Williams was signed as an attacking, play maker type midfielder, so why do people continually slag him off for not getting stuck in, he aint that type of player, he is the sort of player who will get his foot on the ball and dictate the pace and flow of a game, the problem is we very rarely use him in that role instead we ask him to play in a manner that he does not possess the necessary attributes to carry out, strong tackler and physically strong.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Williams was signed as an attacking, play maker type midfielder, so why do people continually slag him off for not getting stuck in, he aint that type of player, he is the sort of player who will get his foot on the ball and dictate the pace and flow of a game, the problem is we very rarely use him in that role instead we ask him to play in a manner that he does not possess the necessary attributes to carry out, strong tackler and physically strong.

Did he not have one of his best games when employed just behind a midfield 3? Can't remember the Match..

highland fox said:
Did he not have one of his best games when employed just behind a midfield 3? Can't remember the Match..

Yeah Cardiff, I think it allowed him to operate as the playmaker, dictate the pace of the game, what I was trying to say is that Williams was never signed to be the Blood and Thunder midfielder we so desperately crave, that isnt his fault and IMO he shouldnt be slated, that aint his game.

Bilborough Fox said:
Just got back from Sheffield. Bad result. Unfortunately I had invite to an exe box together with my tribe. Didn't help matters, but they passed an opinion that agreed with mine. Why did three of our four midfielders not bother fighting for the ball, lack the skill or commitment to do something with the ball rather than give it away. Hughes was the only one to put himself about and produced anything worthwhile. We missed Joey and Ryan today badly. We resorted to the same type of game that they played by by-passing the midfield and we are not good at that. Either these lads want to play for us or they should f**k off. Bring some players in there with some commitment and passion. Don't care if they are young or old, as long as they are not like the three ars***les who turned out today.

Here we go here we go here we go all the way to sheffield f##king wednesday to watch yet another messed up game of whats called football, you have 90 minute in which to play, well so i thought anyway another 10 minute sprint then just gonna lie down for abit and watch the flood lights, he you go you have the ball ooops sorry did mean to give it him!! what was going on they were just playing in the clouds again after watching a cracking over head kit goal from the stand from stearman just cheerimg and cheering to then only discover that they were not even bothering to play!! Were has the leicester city i new gone well just like conolly out and who do we blame the manger levein or the player''s for not pulling there wait or the fan's for not supporting or the pitch for not begin perfect! well i will tell you who i blame the whole dame TEAM notice i said TEAM that mean behave like team and play like one and craig just PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about the F##king POSTIONING because it all over F##king place the lads are confused and so are you come on up the city lalalala!!!!!!!

slimmy695
:icon_redf :icon_redf :mad:

PFKAKTF FOX said:
Yeah Cardiff, I think it allowed him to operate as the playmaker, dictate the pace of the game, what I was trying to say is that Williams was never signed to be the Blood and Thunder midfielder we so desperately crave, that isnt his fault and IMO he shouldnt be slated, that aint his game.

Strange that he says that his prefered role role is the holding midfielder. Surely he's not that kind of a player. To be a playmaker you must want the ball and be forward looking. The main trouble is that if someone tackles him solidly in the first 10 min. he starts to look over his shoulder and either hoofs it anywhere he thinks a player should. He also pulls out of tackles and disappears out of the game. Can we afford to carry a player, in our position, who might just give us the quality that he obviously posses. We struggle enough with 11 on the pitch.

Bilborough Fox said:
Strange that he says that his prefered role role is the holding midfielder. Surely he's not that kind of a player. To be a playmaker you must want the ball and be forward looking. The main trouble is that if someone tackles him solidly in the first 10 min. he starts to look over his shoulder and either hoofs it anywhere he thinks a player should. He also pulls out of tackles and disappears out of the game. Can we afford to carry a player, in our position, who might just give us the quality that he obviously posses. We struggle enough with 11 on the pitch.

No I agree, he is a player who is well capable of getting the ball and knocking it around, he is a good footballer, he aint a tackler or a battler, but that as I repeat is not his fault, we need effective players throughout the side, we need players who can cope with the rough and tumble of championship football, Williams cannot, but blame the manager who signed him and the manager who now picks him in a system and formation which stifles his best attributeds and that clearly leaves him and his weaknesses exposed.

Last edited:
Tend to agree, that gw was never meant to be a Lennon style midfielder and as some one above said he shouldnt be slated for that. If we were at the other end of the table he would be one of our best players.IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566