The Apprentice 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the highly offensive racial term you used? No, nothing at all. My brother's girlfriend, as it happens, prefers to be called 'half breed' or 'darkie'. Really.

No, not really.

Haven't we had this discussion before, and it turned out the term had nothing to do with being half-person or any such nonsense?

Haven't we had this discussion before, and it turned out the term had nothing to do with being half-person or any such nonsense?
This has come up before, when ChrisFilter correctly pointed out that it's a horrible, massively offensive, disgusting phrase that doesn't belong in the mouth of any right-thinking person.

This has come up before, when ChrisFilter correctly pointed out that it's a horrible, massively offensive, disgusting phrase that doesn't belong in the mouth of any right-thinking person.

there is an answer to it though... its called "ignore"

there is an answer to it though... its called "ignore"
You want me to ignore casual racism? No, I'll carry on pulling people up on it if it's all the same to you, especially if it's unintentional. Rather that than just hoping it doesn't catch on.

You want me to ignore casual racism? No, I'll carry on pulling people up on it if it's all the same to you, especially if it's unintentional. Rather that than just hoping it doesn't catch on.

oh whatever... :icon_roll

actually, what makes you think he was being racist?

Casual racism? Really? Wouldnt say its racism, and I didnt mean it in a racist way so if ive offended you then sorry.

There should be some sort of announcement made when these phrases go out of fashion and suddenly become offensive. People may call it ignorance but unless you have cause to use the specific phrase on a regular basis why would you check? And who do you check with??

There should be some sort of announcement made when these phrases go out of fashion and suddenly become offensive. People may call it ignorance but unless you have cause to use the specific phrase on a regular basis why would you check? And who do you check with??

My father-in-law is in his late eighties and it's really embarrassing what he comes out with sometimes. It's not that he has ill intent, just comes from a different time.

"Curtis Davies, the West Brom defender, whose mother is English and father is from Sierra Leone, says he is so used to hearing half-caste it doesn't bother him, but he objects to the term quarter-caste. 'Half-breed is the worst, though,' he says. 'People say it in banter to me, but if they said it seriously I would be offended.'"

http://www.intermix.org.uk/features/FEA_22_half.asp

Casual racism? Really? Wouldnt say its racism, and I didnt mean it in a racist way so if ive offended you then sorry.
I know you didn't mean it. Hardly anybody does. It's like the word 'coloured'. It is offensive to describe people this way. Please don't use it.

My father-in-law is in his late eighties and it's really embarrassing what he comes out with sometimes. It's not that he has ill intent, just comes from a different time.

Quite and I'd imagine those concerned can easily tell the difference between those with good intent but the wrong vocabulary and vice versa.

I know you didn't mean it. Hardly anybody does. It's like the word 'coloured'. It is offensive to describe people this way. Please don't use it.

I've just done some searching around the net and those with an opinion seem to generally say it's not offensive to them unless it's used in a derogatory way.

Quite and I'd imagine those concerned can easily tell the difference between those with good intent but the wrong vocabulary and vice versa.

As an aside, which camp would you put Ron Atkinson in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669