THE ASHES

Status
Not open for further replies.
When's the next test?

Grassy Ass.

fcukcov said:
Totally agree. I reckon the aussies will be top for a number of years to come. We just have to keep going and hopefully get better and better. I still stand by my view of vaughan this time. He hasnt been perfomring as England captain should. Specially leading into and through an ashes series.

This is our best England side for a number of years and we have the potential to, ok not win the series, but give the Aussies a run for their money and possibly win 1 or 2 test matches.

Vaughan is a very good tactician IMO, but he's batting is not as good as it used to be and he has to find his form sooner rather than later.

I've never been a fan of Giles, he can't spin for Webbo's milfs and the selectors should look at dropping him IMO.

We were unlucky in that test, but the poor batting and dropped catches did it for us:mad:

Hopefully, they'll learn from their mistakes for the 2nd test and if Giles picks up a 5 wicket haul in one innings then i'll shag my neighbour's dog! :eek: :icon_cry: :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Scodger Cubs said:
he is amazing! :lol: and that's why Thorpe should've played! :( :081:

Agreed, I would like to see Thorpe selected as number four ahead of Bell. At least Thorpe can play Warney.

The talk is that Collingwood may get a chance at the expense of either Bell, Simon Jones, Giles or Hoggard. IMO they should sort things out with Thorpe and leave Bell out.

Thorpe has retired from International cricket. His partner is due to pop a sprog soon and he wants to be around.

Smashing work on the sig and avatar MK............but I didn't know you knew Lazzer back in the 70's :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Ta durham.
Lazzer was never that orange. Same hair and dress sense though...

Scodger Cubs said:
but i don't know if i'd play Pieterson.
Good call mate.
Joe_Fox said:
Why not get Darren Maddy in the team? Oh yeah - he plays for Leicestershire.
Leicestershire have had a few players picked for England in recent years. Maddy got a chance and failed. To be honest he isn't good enough for England and on his performances in recent years (2 centuries in 3 years) hes barely good enough to play for Leicestershire.

Anyway of the first test I think that there were a lot of positives to be taken from the first test.
* Pietersen's batting
* Strauss and Trescothick getting to grips with McGrath
* Harmison, Flintoff and S Jones all bowled well.
* We've shown that we can dismiss australia twice in a game

Negatives:
* Catching
* Vaughan, Bell and Flintoff showing no form with the bat.
* Giles and Hoggard looking ordinary.

Despite the result, I wouldn't make many changes. I said before the first test that I would have played an extra batsman at an expense of a bowler but now Thorpe has retired there isnt anyone I think is good enough. We could give Collingwood a chance I guess but hes only got a modest record in ODIs. If he were to come in then Hoggard would have to be the one to go, despite him having an excellent tour of SA I'm not really sure hes fast enough or accurate enough to play against Australia.

Bell will prove his worth definately. He had a poor game but hes a great batsman and will prove his worth one day for England. Giles didn't really have time to prove himself with only 11 overs, hes the best spinner in England and I wouldn't drop him especially not at his home ground. The thing with Giles is that he isn't world class and won't compete with Warne but he is a good player. The trouble is sometimes that we play him when we don't need him (on seamer's pitches) and it gives the impression that he isn't needed in the side. He is a valuable member of the team when he is needed though.

What else? Vaughan out of form but we know what he can do. Geraint Jones poor but I don't feel theres anyone else out there. Read is too poor with the bat.

If Vaughan and Bell come into form for the next test then i'll be pretty confident. Lets just hope we can hold some catches :)

Collingwood for Giles. Player for player Warne is so much better than Giles, and its the sort of match up that gives the Aussies a big mental edge.

Collignwood's a much better fielder as well. Did you see Giles trying to chase the ball in the field?? It made Homer chasing donuts look like a 100m Olympic Gold Medalist!:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Scodger Cubs said:
Collignwood's a much better fielder as well. Did you see Giles trying to chase the ball in the field?? It made Homer chasing donuts look like a 100m Olympic Gold Medalist!:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Remember the 'best catch ever' by Collingwood recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669