The Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

When TD came on RL a couple of Mondays ago, as a response to one of the questions I think he seemed to suggest (or may even had said) that he was no expert in footballing matters.

I thought thats OK because at the time of administration Jon Holmes and Greg Clark (I think) said they were getting this guy in because of his work credentials (Partner in an Accountancy Firm) and would be getting the basic finances in check and he has done to a large extent.

But then who on the board has the relevant football credentials? When I look down that list, most of the folk are there because of the financial support or otherwise at the time of administration circa £250k. We have no obvious person with lots of experience in managing a football club (or other entertainment related business) or someone who has been around in football long enough (ie. Martin George type person) to know (at a detailed level) what it takes to survive and develop. Infact Greg Clarke was on the original board when we went into administration. Die hard fans they all may be - but none are football experts.

Infact, the Board, in my opinion does not even have the right balance required as per much Corporate Governance guidance published in the last few years.

I don’t think there is a Finance Director, Commercial Director, Football Director, Operations Director, Legal Director, Communications Director, HR Director etc. with an equal share in influencing decision under the watchful eye of an effective Chair etc... In fact all of the day to day power resides with TD based on a mandate presented to him by the Chair, I would argue that the skills mix of the board is inadequate (for any business - let alone a football club) and the basic operation of all technical and non-football staff reporting to TD does not ensure adequate balance in decision making or otherwise. In other words what TD says goes!

Do not be confused by the setup of the audit committee and the participation of a member of the Foxes Trust, other then commenting on external auditors, reviewing and commenting (back to the main board) on the state of the financial control environment etc... that body is pretty much powerless to do alot else. Infact, as a non-listed business they don't even have to publish any comments or observations of the committee for us all to see.

Being close to the Club at the time of administration, I know how the board worked and conducted itself - unless things have changed dramatically we have something to worry about here. (For those in the know, to prove my credibility I know about the farce of the agenda of the first meeting of the New Fox board). They are not full time paid execs. they all run their own businesses / partners in LLP etc... LCFC is a sideline to these guys with the exception of TD. We have a majority of non - exec directors on the board, how can this be an effective way forward.

Apologies for spelling and grammar.

well written and interesting post certainly a point of concern when you roll it out like that :icon_cry:

blue said:
When TD came on RL a couple of Mondays ago, as a response to one of the questions I think he seemed to suggest (or may even had said) that he was no expert in footballing matters.

I thought thats OK because at the time of administration Jon Holmes and Greg Clark (I think) said they were getting this guy in because of his work credentials (Partner in an Accountancy Firm) and would be getting the basic finances in check and he has done to a large extent.

But then who on the board has the relevant football credentials? When I look down that list, most of the folk are there because of the financial support or otherwise at the time of administration circa £250k. We have no obvious person with lots of experience in managing a football club (or other entertainment related business) or someone who has been around in football long enough (ie. Martin George type person) to know (at a detailed level) what it takes to survive and develop. Infact Greg Clarke was on the original board when we went into administration. Die hard fans they all may be - but none are football experts.

Infact, the Board, in my opinion does not even have the right balance required as per much Corporate Governance guidance published in the last few years.

I don’t think there is a Finance Director, Commercial Director, Football Director, Operations Director, Legal Director, Communications Director, HR Director etc. with an equal share in influencing decision under the watchful eye of an effective Chair etc... In fact all of the day to day power resides with TD based on a mandate presented to him by the Chair, I would argue that the skills mix of the board is inadequate (for any business - let alone a football club) and the basic operation of all technical and non-football staff reporting to TD does not ensure adequate balance in decision making or otherwise. In other words what TD says goes!

Do not be confused by the setup of the audit committee and the participation of a member of the Foxes Trust, other then commenting on external auditors, reviewing and commenting (back to the main board) on the state of the financial control environment etc... that body is pretty much powerless to do alot else. Infact, as a non-listed business they don't even have to publish any comments or observations of the committee for us all to see.

Being close to the Club at the time of administration, I know how the board worked and conducted itself - unless things have changed dramatically we have something to worry about here. (For those in the know, to prove my credibility I know about the farce of the agenda of the first meeting of the New Fox board). They are not full time paid execs. they all run their own businesses / partners in LLP etc... LCFC is a sideline to these guys with the exception of TD. We have a majority of non - exec directors on the board, how can this be an effective way forward.

Apologies for spelling and grammar.

As I have posted before, I think that the way that Leicester City is managed at board level looks more like the arrangements for directing a social enterprise than running a successful football club.

The club needs strong leadership at board level and that simply does not exist.

You can't say its good leadership or bad leadership..its a case of no leadership.

Football is a glamourous game. I am guessing TD may of got caught out by CL bamboozling him with promises and false dawns.

1966 said:
Does anyone who is on the board ?

CHAIRMAN: Jim McCahill

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Tim Davies

DIRECTORS: Greg Clarke, Martin Glenn, James Johnson, Tony Lander, Malcolm Stewart-Smith, Tim Storer, Tony Wheeler

CLUB SECRETARY: Andrew Neville

bocadillo said:

DIRECTORS: Greg Clarke, Martin Glenn, James Johnson, Tony Lander, Malcolm Stewart-Smith, Tim Storer, Tony Wheeler

Whoooooooooooooo..........

bocadillo said:
CHAIRMAN:Lionel Blair

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: Christopher Biggins

DIRECTORS: Russell Grant,Duncan Norville,Ruth Madoc,David 'Diddy' Hamilton,Eddie Edwards,Cliff Thorburn and Bill Oddie

CLUB SECRETARY:pam Ayres

Don't know what you are all worried about,we are in safe hands...

bocadillo said:

Thanks Boc, any idea what their backgrounds are?

1966 said:
Thanks Boc, any idea what their backgrounds are?

Managing director of an engineering consultancy company

He was a professional tennis player before going into business.

Greg Clarke - Chief Executive Officer of Landleys.
Martin Glenn - Chief Executive Officer of Walkers Snacks.
James Johnson - Solicitor.
Tony Lander - Property developer.
Tim Storer - managing director of Pukka Pies.
Malcolm Stewart-Smith - Dunno
Tony Wheeler - Commodities dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673