Speculation The Crazy Stupid Premier League Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clear the club have a good team spirit partly due to the strict wage structure. Do QPR and West Ham have that?

QPR have old wrinkly ball sack faced cod chops as manager. As he could've managed England to win the World Cup then I doubt team spirit is important.

I'll be shocked if any FFP punishments actually happen, it's probably a decent gamble for those two .

The FA and FL FFP regulations are very different - QPR and WHU could still be within the FA regulations.

We could add £15-20 million to our wage bill and still be below the thresholds, given our low starting wage level relative to other PL clubs.

The FA and FL FFP regulations are very different - QPR and WHU could still be within the FA regulations.

We could add £15-20 million to our wage bill and still be below the thresholds, given our low starting wage level relative to other PL clubs.

It's to do with squad harmony. The carrot for the players is likely to be large bonuses dependant on appearances and position. So they will be no half arsed players on big wages who don't give a flyer. It appears transfer fees are largely irrelevant, if the wages are ok (simple maths tell you a long term deal like Ulloa saves money as opposed to say someone like Bendtner whose asking for a basic wage of £50k p/week plus £30k for every point gained by his employer).

Suspect if we get to January and look half decent, we become an attractive option to foreign players who need a stepping stone.

I hate the thought that we can only ever become a stepping stone.

Some people laugh at the Southampton situation, some Leicester fans think it's good for our season, I find it demoralising and concerning.

I hate the thought that we can only ever become a stepping stone.

Some people laugh at the Southampton situation, some Leicester fans think it's good for our season, I find it demoralising and concerning.
It's a fact of like unfortunately. If we have a player a " big " clubs wants they will eventually get him.

It's a fact of like unfortunately. If we have a player a " big " clubs wants they will eventually get him.

The lure of the bigger club/dollar will always be there, even for the bigger clubs.
What is happening at Southampton, I'd say, is unprecedented.

I watched the Everton friendly, with the scouse commentary. They liked Knocky, had good things to say about Mahrez. What's to say that if, no when, we have had a good season our players aren't wanted by others like Saints players are.
4 year contracts to our better players, NP looking ahead?

The Southampton situation is a concerning one but I think they could have handled it better. The sale of Lambert probably wasn't so bad, £4m for someone of his age is not bad business I guess but they probably should have tried harder to keep the rest. Once other players see all their team mates going out the door then they are going to want to leave with the slightest bit of interest from elsewhere. They are going to be unrecognisable next year. Good job of they've got a reputation for bringing through great young players! Probably will be relying on some of them next year.

I'm a bit worried about our squad size. We've not really got adequate cover in some positions and our numbers are just a bit thin on the ground in general. I'd like to see a left back, and a right back and maybe an experienced head for midfield.

The problem with Southampton is shifting sands, with a new manager and current owner not as motivated as their relative who originally owned the club. The players, and particularly their agents realise this and therefore try various tactics to move their players on.

We have a more stable environment, owners using someone with many years experience of handling transfer deals and playing hardball. Yes clubs will always lose some players to "bigger clubs", but even the Premiership top clubs experience this (Ronaldo, Bale etc).

Exactly, and the players hold the power these days. Luke Shaw is rumoured to be on £100k per week at Man U. I have no idea what he was earning at Southampton, but I think it's safe to say it wasn't near that figure. If a club comes along and wants to pay one of our players a stack load more, he'll be off. We may not like it, but that's the way it is and we might as well enjoy it for what it is. At least it will probably mean he has played well for us to merit the attention.

The reality is that there are only a handful of clubs who aren't a stepping stone, and even our top clubs are stepping stones to Barca/Real if they want that player enough (see Bale/Ronaldo/Suarez etc).

The trick will be to buy players whose values will increase AND improve the team. This will mean that come the time they leave we will have more money and be more attractive to prospective recruits. In so doing we can incrementally become a bigger club.

Thankfully this seems to be the broad strategy that NP is following, unlikely, for example, Dopey at QPR.

Having said that, it's miserably sad that there's no way a truly great manager could achieve much with a small club today. Ferguson at Aberdeen or Clough at Forest will never happen again.

You also have to remember the ludicrous amount of money they're getting from all of this. Despite everything, their current squad with a couple of additions is still easily good enough to keep them up next season. They'll start again under a good manager, and move on. Thankfully for them, their youth system is one of the reasons this whole situation has happened.

Such is life, anyway. If we have a good season, this could easily happen to us. When you're in the top flight you adjust expectations accordingly - top half is a sorry target of glory, with eighth the absolute ceiling unless you're one of the established sides. The trick is rebuilding every time.

The problem with Southampton is shifting sands, with a new manager and current owner not as motivated as their relative who originally owned the club. The players, and particularly their agents realise this and therefore try various tactics to move their players on. We have a more stable environment, owners using someone with many years experience of handling transfer deals and playing hardball. Yes clubs will always lose some players to "bigger clubs", but even the Premiership top clubs experience this (Ronaldo, Bale etc).

The main change at Southampton was Nicola Cortese leaving, no?

I think where they finished, the players could see value in staying - but with him leaving and the clubs plans with it, why would you stay? It's no different to an inspiring CEO leaving a company.

The main change at Southampton was Nicola Cortese leaving, no?

I think where they finished, the players could see value in staying - but with him leaving and the clubs plans with it, why would you stay? It's no different to an inspiring CEO leaving a company.

How often does the CEO talk with the players etc, I know Top And Vichai barely ever talk to Nigel never mind the players.

How often does the CEO talk with the players etc, I know Top And Vichai barely ever talk to Nigel never mind the players.

Cortese does seem a special case. Pochettino could have left when he did, and I believe one Saints players had a clause in his contract that linked his future to Cortese's. Weird, I know. His departure started the chain reaction, though; Pochettino was happy to go, and his players have followed suit.

EDIT: Apparently that player was Shaw.

Last edited:
Before we complain too much about lack of new signings, take a look at Blackpool's squad at the moment:

View attachment 11443

They're now up to 11 players, still no goalkeeper, and massive wranglings in the boardroom with owner and president publically falling out over whose taken the most money out of the club.

They'll be able to complete a fixture at least.

As easy a 3 points as Forest are ever likely to get on the opening day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669