Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think rumours about English clubs signing players would have finished by now. But no.

Your super soaraway Sun says "Chelsea manager Frank Lampard wants to sign Leicester defender Ben Chilwell when the Blues' transfer ban ends. The England international, 22, is rated at £70m."
Interesting that he’d assume he’ll still be there.

Chilwell is still only 22, and is now England's first choice left back.

He's still improving and can be a fantastic player. Anyone who would want him to leave is a moron.

Improving?

Since he's been in the England set-up his development has stalled completely.

Over the last year I would expect his improvement to be at it's most accelerated, it's actually been at it's slowest.

He doesn't concentrate, he get's beaten in duals regularly and his final ball is absolute toss.

Don't get me wrong, he could blossom all of a sudden into a decent enough player, but I genuinely don't see it myself.

He started playing when there was a real lack of quality English left backs which has resulted in him having an overblown reputation.

Imo

He may have been shit yesterday but agreed, he's still one of the best LBs in the country and the best English LB. Plus still nowhere near his prime. He came on leaps and bounds under Puel.

I'm with Lako on this. Chilwell is so frustrating it's untrue. He may offer us something going forward (at times) but defensively he is very susceptible. He can't carry on having good spells and terrible spells as this is not what a top player does. If someone had have offered £70m for him this summer I'd have snapped their hands off... There is a reason no one has offered anything close to that (that we know about) for him at present.

Watching Fuchs in pre season, he is still a much better defender than Chilwell. His vision is also so good as per Vardy's goal against Atalanta. I'm not saying he should play every week instead but another performance like that from Ben and he should be dropped for Fuchs.

Chilwell was pissing me off a tad yesterday but it seemed that support was given more on the other side than his. Ricardo is more capable of taking players on and getting a decent ball in than Chilwell, but he had players offering overlaps more. At least it seemed that way.

Chilwell is a wonderful left back and we're incredibly lucky to have him.

The never-ending sniping at him is absurd. Yes, he wasn't any good yesterday but neither were several others.

He is a much better player than a year ago and would improve just about every other Premier League team.

The never-ending sniping at him is absurd. Yes, he wasn't any good yesterday but neither were several others.

He is a much better player than a year ago and would improve just about every other Premier League team.

He possibly improves every team below where we should expect to finish and non above.

I agree.

Fuchs is still better.

Look at the line-up yesterday - the entire team's width was supposed to come from the full-backs, with cover from two DMs. In that scenario, you'd expect the opposition to target them and so for any chances to come from their areas. With that in mind, I'm not sure that Chilwell played so very badly

Look at the line-up yesterday - the entire team's width was supposed to come from the full-backs, with cover from two DMs. In that scenario, you'd expect the opposition to target them and so for any chances to come from their areas. With that in mind, I'm not sure that Chilwell played so very badly
He did, the worst performing player on the pitch by a mile.

Justin James can play left back and probably will if Chilly has another poor game.

Justin James can play left back and probably will if Chilly has another poor game.
don't be silly he isn't going to be dropped after a couple of bad games and nor should he, he was one of several players that looked to be still shaking off the early season rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263