Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded spring/summer 2019 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy they are all being linked, just shows how our squad is progressing.

They're going nowhere.

I'm happy they are all being linked, just shows how our squad is progressing.

They're going nowhere.

I like your optimism and I believe that the club have no desire to sell our best players,

However, football doesn't work like that. The players have the power, not the clubs.

Take the example of Chilwell. He'll be on something like £80k a week on his new contract. As an England player, he'll also be getting a number of lucrative endorsements.

Man City or Athletico Madrid or one of several other mega-clubs can smash his current earnings. They can easily double or treble what he's on now. As a player at a mega-club, his endorsements would at least treble. His overall income and profile would massively increase.

Add to this the improvement in opportunities to win trophies, play in European football and cement a place in the national team.

Frankly, if I were Chilwell or Maguire or Maddison or Ndidi or Ricardo, I'd be like Mahrez or Drinkwater or Kante was. Not like Vardy who is the only one that positively decided to stay with us when offered an opportunity elsewhere.

For all the bitching on here about Mahrez, he's won three trophies this season. He's on 200k a week. Even Drinkwater at least doubled his earnings to sit on his arse for a couple of years. Kante picked up his third trophy since leaving us last night. The evidence is strongly in favour of the grass being greener elsewhere.

All we can hope for is that the recruitment of Rodgers has done something to this group, much as Maguire said in his interview the other day, i.e. making the players believe that they could achieve things at Leicester. Had we stuck with Puel, this summer would be a revolving door of our talent out of the club.

Whatever we can offer though remains second rate pickings compared to what is on offer elsewhere, so it won't last long. As I've said in the thread about the KPMG report on the richest clubs in Europe, we have to urgently expand the stadium and get into Europe regularly or we'll lose this opportunity.

As a club I feel that we've got back to where we were in summer 2016. There is rightly a lot of optimism around with a strong manager, a talented squad and genuine hope that we can kick on. In summer 2016, we totally botched it up. We have to have a really good summer this time round.

I like your optimism and I believe that the club have no desire to sell our best players,

However, football doesn't work like that. The players have the power, not the clubs.

Take the example of Chilwell. He'll be on something like £80k a week on his new contract. As an England player, he'll also be getting a number of lucrative endorsements.

Man City or Athletico Madrid or one of several other mega-clubs can smash his current earnings. They can easily double or treble what he's on now. As a player at a mega-club, his endorsements would at least treble. His overall income and profile would massively increase.

Add to this the improvement in opportunities to win trophies, play in European football and cement a place in the national team.

Frankly, if I were Chilwell or Maguire or Maddison or Ndidi or Ricardo, I'd be like Mahrez or Drinkwater or Kante was. Not like Vardy who is the only one that positively decided to stay with us when offered an opportunity elsewhere.

For all the bitching on here about Mahrez, he's won three trophies this season. He's on 200k a week. Even Drinkwater at least doubled his earnings to sit on his arse for a couple of years. Kante picked up his third trophy since leaving us last night. The evidence is strongly in favour of the grass being greener elsewhere.

All we can hope for is that the recruitment of Rodgers has done something to this group, much as Maguire said in his interview the other day, i.e. making the players believe that they could achieve things at Leicester. Had we stuck with Puel, this summer would be a revolving door of our talent out of the club.

Whatever we can offer though remains second rate pickings compared to what is on offer elsewhere, so it won't last long. As I've said in the thread about the KPMG report on the richest clubs in Europe, we have to urgently expand the stadium and get into Europe regularly or we'll lose this opportunity.

As a club I feel that we've got back to where we were in summer 2016. There is rightly a lot of optimism around with a strong manager, a talented squad and genuine hope that we can kick on. In summer 2016, we totally botched it up. We have to have a really good summer this time round.

Of course, i can see where you are coming from. Take the three leavers in terms of football only:

1) Mahrez - has won trophies but it is virtually hollow as he has been a spectator most of the time. I would doubt the high of what he achieved here could be replicated elsewhere, particularly from the bench.

2) Drinkwater - washed up, not even in the squad and his career is quite probably finished.

3) Kante - quite the opposite, has fitted into Chelsea well and pushed them on, even though he is now playing in a stupid position he still shines and you can't really argue that the move for him was, and is positive.

Overall though, two of the 3 above should act as a warning to players who wish to 'better' themselves elsewhere. Man City will continue to do what they do and hoard players and fill their bench with players who will walk into virtually all other 1st teams in the league.

Young players need to play week-in-week-out and certainly Man City won't offer this.

I am hopeful that Brendan Ro(d)gers has spoken to the team and promised that next season we can achieve European Football at Leicester and that in a season or two they can leave with the club's best wishes. The only way we will progress is to keep hold of our best talent.

Player power doesn't always work out with an immediately adgitated move - it took Mahrez several service station and airport visit's for him to finally get his way and we don't need to sell.

I believe all will still be with us next season with perhaps the exception of Maguire, but once again only if we want to sell to generate ~£80m to fund incoming players.

I also believe we will get Tielemans.

There you go, my cup is full and i wish it to remain remain so until somone tips some, or all of it out.

I’d probably stick around another year if I were anyone but Maguire, and then it’d depend on who came in for him.

Not dissimilar to the champions league season in that regard. Everyone should fancy a go at Rodgers and keeping this nucleus intact. Should be a good adventure.

That all said, a 22 year old offered 200k a week to move to Madrid? Well, you would, wouldn’t you?

If Puel was still knocking about? God help us.

You could look it up instead of guessing. It was actually around 500 minutes in the league since Christmas.

About 26 minutes per game then. Not very much, is it?

Bring in Junior Lewis to fill the Tielemans sized hole.
Sign Yakubu on a loan deal to support Vards.
Konchesky to replace Chilwell on a Free.

Sell Chilwell, James, King and Slimani.
Keep the rest.

Damn we are in a phenominal place. I remember when the above replacements were genuine options. Even if it was a different era. This football club has come to a beautifully crazy place.

I think we'll sell one of our prized possessions and hopefully we replace him adequately.

As for Drinkwater, despite his form for some of the 16/17 season I don't think he recovered from being passed over for the Euro 2016 squad in favour of Wheelchair.

I'm sure he'd have preferred to play more. But if it's a choice between starting 28 games and winning three trophies, or starting every game and winning nothing, I know which I'd prefer.
I'm sure he prefers the gongs and the money but I would hardly say that it has made him a happier person. He and his advisors have truly ****ed him up and are ****ing the game up at the same time.

All we can hope for is that the recruitment of Rodgers has done something to this group, much as Maguire said in his interview the other day, i.e. making the players believe that they could achieve things at Leicester.

I suspected/hoped that this would be the biggest positive of Rodgers' appointment. I can picture him convincing, say, Chilwell that another year here would put him in an even better position.

IMO it's actually good for us that Leicester is demonstrably a club that provides the final stepping stone to the very top. It means that top young prospects are likely to see us as a good move that will progress both their abilities and their careers, rather than somewhere they might 'end up' (like WHam or Everton, say). The downside is having to convince them to stick around for a significant period of time, and/or constantly replace them. But better that than a team full of players that no other team would want.

I suspected/hoped that this would be the biggest positive of Rodgers' appointment. I can picture him convincing, say, Chilwell that another year here would put him in an even better position.

IMO it's actually good for us that Leicester is demonstrably a club that provides the final stepping stone to the very top. It means that top young prospects are likely to see us as a good move that will progress both their abilities and their careers, rather than somewhere they might 'end up' (like WHam or Everton, say). The downside is having to convince them to stick around for a significant period of time, and/or constantly replace them. But better that than a team full of players that no other team would want.

We had a good 6 year spell there where not a single player we sold left for any discernable profit or achieved anything after.

The last few I remember prior to the recent era: Stearman, Mattock, Connolly and Mcauley. It took us ages to reach the level where we sold players we actually would rather have kept.

If someone pays us £71m for Ben Chilwell I would snap their arm off.
With correct recruiting, we could bring someone in the mould of Ricardo for the left side for half £20-35m and then spend the rest on a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757