Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded summer 2020 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something really odd has happened there. He was talked about as the greatest centre back since Van Dijk by BR when he managed him at Celtic and then when he comes to Leicester, Benkovic disappears from the picture very quickly.

He was injured playing for Croatia in the Euro under 21s, so didn't have a proper pre-season. Soyuncu was fit, so he was the one who played when Maguire left. Soyuncu deserved to keep his place, Morgan was always going to be on the bench, so Benkovic had to miss out.

We sent him out on loan in January so he could get some game time - but we needed some cover in his position, which is why we ended up with Bennett.

He seems to be a little injury prone. Hopefully he will get a chance to prove himself.

He always does seem calm watching as the goals go in. I don't think he's a useless footballer, he's just not a very good defender.
We've got Bennett, Morgan, Chilwell and Justin. Ake is Bobby Moore compared to that lot. You spent ages telling us how terrible Maguire was. He's done pretty well at Manchester United and no doubt contributed to them finishing above us.

What are people basing Benkovic’s potential on? He might, and obviously I hope he does, become a top Premier League player for us. But he’s shown no evidence of they yet.

What are people basing Benkovic’s potential on? He might, and obviously I hope he does, become a top Premier League player for us. But he’s shown no evidence of they yet.
Were working ourselves into a frenzy by hyping him up to be the next Paolo Maldini then we can start berating him when he's no better than Bennett. It's called the Covid-19 time passing game with no actual price for the winner

Probably on the fact that he has the physical attributes for a centre half, is still very young for a centre half, has played first team football before signing for us and had played international football for his country.

Probably on the fact that he has the physical attributes for a centre half, is still very young for a centre half, has played first team football before signing for us and had played international football for his country.
Slimani has physical attributes, he'd played first team football before coming to us and he's played international football for his country.

He's still a load of old horse bollock.

Slimani has physical attributes, he'd played first team football before coming to us and he's played international football for his country.

He's still a load of old horse bollock.

Pop, i don't think folks are saying Benkovic is the dog's bollocks. Rather that he might have the potential to do well if given the opportunity, probably similarly to Soyuncu.

Cags has played at a higher level imo when he was at Freiburg in the Bundesliga for 2 seasons. However Benkovic has played 76 matches for Dinamo Zagreb including 15 European matches.

He also got 4 European matches at Celtic as well as first team regular football in a big stadium and rowdy fans. This is important as well, to not be too phased by these sorts of things.

At Bristol City this season, he's done well epecially after the restart including good performances vs Hull, Middlesborough and a recent MOTM performance at Stoke.

Finally, his physical attributes are important. 6'4 tall and strong as an ox by all accounts. We need a strong, imposing defender who's driven and hungry with some European experience. Might also help with attacking set pieces.

If he's sent out on loan again then it looks like there may be something wrong. Given our exploits next season it looks like he'd be perfect especially if money is tight.

Pop, i don't think folks are saying Benkovic is the dog's bollocks. Rather that he might have the potential to do well if given the opportunity, probably similarly to Soyuncu.

Cags has played at a higher level imo when he was at Freiburg in the Bundesliga for 2 seasons. However Benkovic has played 76 matches for Dinamo Zagreb including 15 European matches.

He also got 4 European matches at Celtic as well as first team regular football in a big stadium and rowdy fans. This is important as well, to not be too phased by these sorts of things.

At Bristol City this season, he's done well epecially after the restart including good performances vs Hull, Middlesborough and a recent MOTM performance at Stoke.

Finally, his physical attributes are important. 6'4 tall and strong as an ox by all accounts. We need a strong, imposing defender who's driven and hungry with some European experience. Might also help with attacking set pieces.

If he's sent out on loan again then it looks like there may be something wrong. Given our exploits next season it looks like he'd be perfect especially if money is tight.
Thai you're wasting your time mate. Thought out rational posts don't work with those who just want to argue for the sake of it and think its clever to swear as they think it gives their stupid comment some validity.

I don't think if we'd had the forward visibility, we'd have sent him on loan this season.
But hey that's football

Thai you're wasting your time mate. Thought out rational posts don't work with those who just want to argue for the sake of it and think its clever to swear as they think it gives their stupid comment some validity.
Nobody is arguing for the sake of it. Pop (not that I’m speaking for him) was just pointing out that all of the attributes you associated with Benkovic have applied to other players who didn’t work out for us.

There was no need for you to call his comment stupid or to suggest it was irrational.

Nobody is arguing for the sake of it. Pop (not that I’m speaking for him) was just pointing out that all of the attributes you associated with Benkovic have applied to other players who didn’t work out for us.

There was no need for you to call his comment stupid or to suggest it was irrational.
Agree but it was the potential of a player based upon certain criteria. Just because a player doesn't make it doesn't mean the criteria was wrong for all other players. As suggested earlier it may be a mental issue or requiring further time to adapt to English football.

We've got Bennett, Morgan, Chilwell and Justin. Ake is Bobby Moore compared to that lot. You spent ages telling us how terrible Maguire was. He's done pretty well at Manchester United and no doubt contributed to them finishing above us.

I think many Man U fans think they’ve achieved that despite Maguire rather than because of Maguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363