Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded winter 2018/19 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a striker. I mean, it couldn't be more obvious that we need a striker. Even if Iheanacho is a good player (which flies in the face of all the evidence we have seen from him whilst with us), he doesn't offer anything different to Vardy. Slimani was the right type of player for us but he was just, well, shit. We could do with an old fashioned type striker to complement Vardy such as a Glen Murray type player with all his attributes but ten years less on the clock!

We need a striker. I mean, it couldn't be more obvious that we need a striker. Even if Iheanacho is a good player (which flies in the face of all the evidence we have seen from him whilst with us), he doesn't offer anything different to Vardy. Slimani was the right type of player for us but he was just, well, shit. We could do with an old fashioned type striker to complement Vardy such as a Glen Murray type player with all his attributes but ten years less on the clock!
serious? He's a totally different striker to Vardy. He's more calm finishing and Vardy is more laces and counter attacking.

serious? He's a totally different striker to Vardy. He's more calm finishing and Vardy is more laces and counter attacking.

For calm, read couldn't give a ****.

Musa would have offered more as a back up player. Ulloa probably would too. Had our pants pulled down for some magic beans with Ian Nachos.

I think Iheanacho is a very good finisher, but he’s most effective inside the penalty area. Unfortunately he just doesn’t suit the way we play at the moment because we’re not giving our striker any service. Vardy drops deep and tries to win the ball himself because of this. Iheanacho just isn’t that type of player.

Like BN, I think the biggest issue is in the area between the central midfield and the striker, in that our options there aren't good enough. I mean we replaced Mahrez with Ghezzal FFS. If we were to improve that area of the pitch, I think we will be able to give the striker more service, and then I think we would see what Iheanacho is capable of.

Yes. They both rely on pace. They both need the ball played into feet. They are both better instictually rather than when they over think things. Neither of them are ever going to prolific in the air. Of course I am not saying they are identical players but they aren't different enough.

They don't offer us enough diversity in our attack which is why we tend to swap one for the other instead if playing them together.

For the record, I'm not writing him off, I have no idea whether there is a decent player in there or not but that's irrelevant right now. We need a plan B and Iheanacho doesn't offer us that in the slightest.

I think have any other mildly competent attacking option is great. Him not costing us a penny and being an academy product is even better.

Rightly or wrongly he’ll immediately be given more rope than the likes of Iheanacho or Ghezzal for those reasons. Look at how far Chilwell has come simply by being chucked in at the deep end.
He’ll be given more rope because he’s from the academy? Did you miss all the abuse Chilwell got?

Which striker would want to come and play second fiddle to JV?
Over the last 3 seasons JV has been the main man, if fit ,I can't see that changing any day soon.

Which striker would want to come and play second fiddle to JV?
Over the last 3 seasons JV has been the main man, if fit ,I can't see that changing any day soon.
It’s a valid point, and that’s the problem when only playing with one striker EVERY game. I’d love us to go with two up front against the bottom half teams to help us break them down.

One up top works well for us against the better teams, but doesn’t for the teams who set up defensively.

Our recent form against top half teams is remarkable:

Everton - W
Man City - W
Chelsea - W
Tottenham - L
Watford - W

Whereas our recent form against bottom half teams is remarkably shit:

Cardiff - L
Crystal Palace - L
Fulham - D
Brighton - D
Burnley - D

Two up front against these teams please Claude. We’d then be more likely to attract a half decent striker knowing he’d start at least half the games, possibly more depending on injuries and suspensions, along with multiple sub appearances. No one of note is going to join based on the odd 10-15 mins every now and then.

He’ll be given more rope because he’s from the academy? Did you miss all the abuse Chilwell got?
He wasn’t given abuse at all. A few people on the forum questioned whether he was ready and didn’t want to see Fuchs frozen out. I never saw anything other than warm support for him at the ground but I’m sure you’ll disagree.

He wasn’t given abuse at all. A few people on the forum questioned whether he was ready and didn’t want to see Fuchs frozen out. I never saw anything other than warm support for him at the ground but I’m sure you’ll disagree.
You’re burying your head Chilwell was still getting abuse at the start of this season for no other reason than he replaced Fuchs, it only really turned around when he debuted for England

What an absolute load of bollocks. There was no abuse given to Chilwell at all.

He was rightly criticised at times last season but has clearly put a lot of work in over the summer and has had nothing but praise from the start of this season. He was very poor today, but again, no one has given him abuse.

You’re burying your head Chilwell was still getting abuse at the start of this season for no other reason than he replaced Fuchs, it only really turned around when he debuted for England
Alright.

Just speculating that people might like to see an academy player given a chance. Outlandish, I know.

... We could do with an old fashioned type striker to complement Vardy such as a Glen Murray type player with all his attributes but ten years less on the clock!

If that's what's needed - Solomon Rondon.

I'll critisize him still, the bloke can't kick with his right foot.

Treatment Chilwell got last season and beginning of this season went beyond reasonable critism.

Well how heartwarming it it that young Ben has overcome such adversity. We all remember the shocking abuse the lad has encountered from the animals in the stands at the powder keg that is the KP.

I thought that Chilwell did get too much criticism last season. I was in a minority that was accepting of his defensive mistakes and this was because his potential was obvious.

The issue for me is whether a young player shows both the potential to improve and the application to do so as well. When I see that, I'm very supportive and forgiving. It's those that make the same errors again and again and don't appear to improve, or even acknowledge the need to improve, that I lose patience with.

We have a young midfielder Ndidi that gets passes for multiple mistakes and poor performances because we know there is a very good player in there. I also think Maddison has had a very kind welcome considering he's already made loads of annoying mistakes and disappeared from games. In both these cases, we think there's a quality player there so we have to take that into account.

I thought that Schlupp was disrespected hugely by the fan base and was hammered for every poor performance. It's not just a young player thing either as I think that the abuse Morgan has had over the last couple of seasons as a washed up player has been way over the top. Amartey was another one that I think got over-criticised before he started to play a bit more consistently well. Meanwhile, Maguire makes multiple defensive mistakes but seems immune to criticism.

Iheanacho now seems to be the boo-boy. He doesn't help himself but when a young players confidence is shot, booing him on and off the pitch is counter-productive. If he wasn't any good, so be it. But there is a talent there that we may well lose out on. Much as we did with Kramaric for example.

I find it almost amusing that our recruitment team, knowing that we play a lone striker, thought signing Iheanacho was a good move.

Talk about just signing people for the sake of it.

The lad needs to be in the box with someone else near him, something he's got **** all chance of getting here unless defending a corner, where he'll have all 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566