Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded winter 2020/21 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyon interested in Slimani and strong chance we'd let him leave for free, with only 6 months of his contract remaining - for those too lazy to click
Thank you Graz for the sum-up.
I am too lazy to click about someone that I don't think of as a Leicester City player.

Tbh, my gut feel was that the club would have let him go for free/token sum before now just to get his wages off the books. He clearly has no rule to play in the club (and successive managers seemed to have come to that conclusion) I've been of the opinion that the sticking point has been Slimani not willing to take a pay cut to go somewhere else. I couldn't be like that myself but I can get my head around someone else being like it. He'd prefer to see out his time on a decent wedge than play elsewhere.

Tbh, my gut feel was that the club would have let him go for free/token sum before now just to get his wages off the books. He clearly has no rule to play in the club (and successive managers seemed to have come to that conclusion) I've been of the opinion that the sticking point has been Slimani not willing to take a pay cut to go somewhere else. I couldn't be like that myself but I can get my head around someone else being like it. He'd prefer to see out his time on a decent wedge than play elsewhere.
So you'd happily half your wages from 80k a week to 40k a week?

I certainly wouldn't.

I certainly wouldn't.
Especially when you’re 32 and have the prospect of being a free transfer in the summer, maximising whatever contract you can get next.

He might as well stick it out on his current contract for another 6 months and get every penny out of it, it’s not like it’s his fault we gave him that contract and then didn’t play him.

(For the record I don’t think we should have picked him, but that’s not his fault).

Especially when you’re 32 and have the prospect of being a free transfer in the summer, maximising whatever contract you can get next.

He might as well stick it out on his current contract for another 6 months and get every penny out of it, it’s not like it’s his fault we gave him that contract and then didn’t play him.

(For the record I don’t think we should have picked him, but that’s not his fault).

Counterpoint: if he can find a club in January to give him a 3 year deal he’d be shortsighted not to take it and guarantee another few years of salary

Counterpoint: if he can find a club in January to give him a 3 year deal he’d be shortsighted not to take it and guarantee another few years of salary
That is true too. He’s in a better position now than he was in the summer though, as he can now officially sign contracts for when he becomes a free agent, so he’s effectively negotiating on that basis. As you say, it may be that he can find a contract that starts now and therefore leave us in January, if we mutually agree on that.

I certainly wouldn't.
40k a week sounds alright to me ;)

As I said, I wouldn't but I can understand why some would. I personally wouldn't be able to hang around like a stale fart. He either wants the money or he wants to play football. I'm not judging him for either answer but I do consider what it's like from the club's perspective. And as I support the club (rather than Slimani's back pocket) it should come as no surprise that I want him gone. He's blocking the way for someone that does want to play. But then I guess being a lumbering carthorse is about his only talent.

40k a week sounds alright to me ;)

As I said, I wouldn't but I can understand why some would. I personally wouldn't be able to hang around like a stale fart. He either wants the money or he wants to play football. I'm not judging him for either answer but I do consider what it's like from the club's perspective. And as I support the club (rather than Slimani's back pocket) it should come as no surprise that I want him gone. He's blocking the way for someone that does want to play. But then I guess being a lumbering carthorse is about his only talent.
I can tell you now there are premier league players earning alot of money that have very little left at the end of the month. Perhaps Slimani has his money tied up in various investments and that means he simply cannot take a large hit in salary.

Depends on my job satisfaction
This. We're obviously not talking about the same figures, but I have left a job for one with about half the salary before because I wasn't happy. Add to that that the fact that the longer he doesn't play the more damage he does to his future prospects and he is doing himself more harm than good by staying.

I can tell you now there are premier league players earning alot of money that have very little left at the end of the month. Perhaps Slimani has his money tied up in various investments and that means he simply cannot take a large hit in salary.

Then he's a stupid ****

We're obviously not talking about the same figures, but I have left a job for one with about half the salary before because I wasn't happy.
Ditto. I was both unhappy AND crap at it - which in turn added to my unhappiness, feelings of self worth and diminishing self confidence. I took the job in the first place primarily because of the money and I can acknowledge now that that was a mistake. Many years ago now but I went from a little over 40k (pa not a week!) to 24k just to go back to something I knew that I both enjoyed and could feel good about myself doing. AND it was a longer commute! Still, all part of the learning curve as they say.

Fortunately, I didn't have "money tied up in various investments" and I could "take a large hit in salary". I feel so desperately sorry for Slimani ;)

No one's feeling sorry for him, but it's prudent and very understandable for him to collect the remainder of his salary. I don't think many if any clubs are going to be offering him fat 3-year deals, what with global economic shocks and whatnot.

Lyon interested in Slimani and strong chance we'd let him leave for free, with only 6 months of his contract remaining - for those too lazy to click
Worth it to get him off the wage bill. We won’t get a fee.

Or he is planning very prudently for his families future.
Which may well be the case, and I wouldn't be critical of him for doing that. Indeed, I'd understand it. I just wish he was doing it elsewhere.

I can hold those two thoughts in mind without contradiction. I simply have the interests of the club above his.

Or he is planning very prudently for his families future.

No he isn't. If he has no money left at the end of the month then he's paying his financial advisor too much and should get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757