Speculation The hysterically annoying, and totally unfounded, but traditional, January 2024 rumours thread.

So, financially, is our best play that we get promoted, sign no one/spend very little while clearing the big out of contract earners off the list, and just accept that we will get relegated again as a result, to then hopefully bounce straight back again in a better position to give it a go?

If we stay up without recruiting, even better but incredibly unlikely.

Sounds fun....
Having watched a few PL games this season as we currently stand, we are better than at least half a dozen teams.

And I’m being VERY conservative.

A couple of good additions should/could see us half way.

So, financially, is our best play that we get promoted, sign no one/spend very little while clearing the big out of contract earners off the list, and just accept that we will get relegated again as a result, to then hopefully bounce straight back again in a better position to give it a go?

If we stay up without recruiting, even better but incredibly unlikely.

Sounds fun....

Once again, if the club set out their financial position and the limitations, I reckon most of us would accept such a scenario. However, they won't and so what you describe would just result in a mix of anger and apathy.

When you run out of players to sell for substantial fees, what do you do? You focus on your youngsters. It was nice to see that Alves got an hour tonight for the U21s and seemingly played well. I think playing some of these guys over the next three months is vital. We need to work out who might be good enough to be part of our squad next year.

The other avenue is signing players that are out of contract and smart loans. Our record of doing that is mixed at best.

The incompetence of the last two or three years has completely wiped out the financial advantages we built from 2014-2020. In no time at all, we've gone from being the sort of club that Brighton model themselves on to one hoping that Brighton can bail us out by buying our most valued player.

I think we could put a squad together that would be stronger than a handful of sides in the PL this season. The problem is that the standard at the bottom this year is horrific and it's highly unlikely to that bad again next time.

All this leads me to suspect that EM won't be around for very long into next season. He's spicy enough when all is going well so I seriously doubt that he'll take a few hammerings. Let alone the supporters like me who won't put up with the inevitable awful errors as soon as the players lose confidence in the style of play.

And if all that isn't cheery enough, I still wonder whether we'll get charged with breaching the financial rules once we're back in the PL. We've definitely smashed our allowable losses so our accountants will have to be sensational to magic that away.

Once again, if the club set out their financial position and the limitations, I reckon most of us would accept such a scenario. However, they won't and so what you describe would just result in a mix of anger and apathy.

When you run out of players to sell for substantial fees, what do you do? You focus on your youngsters. It was nice to see that Alves got an hour tonight for the U21s and seemingly played well. I think playing some of these guys over the next three months is vital. We need to work out who might be good enough to be part of our squad next year.

The other avenue is signing players that are out of contract and smart loans. Our record of doing that is mixed at best.

The incompetence of the last two or three years has completely wiped out the financial advantages we built from 2014-2020. In no time at all, we've gone from being the sort of club that Brighton model themselves on to one hoping that Brighton can bail us out by buying our most valued player.

I think we could put a squad together that would be stronger than a handful of sides in the PL this season. The problem is that the standard at the bottom this year is horrific and it's highly unlikely to that bad again next time.

All this leads me to suspect that EM won't be around for very long into next season. He's spicy enough when all is going well so I seriously doubt that he'll take a few hammerings. Let alone the supporters like me who won't put up with the inevitable awful errors as soon as the players lose confidence in the style of play.

And if all that isn't cheery enough, I still wonder whether we'll get charged with breaching the financial rules once we're back in the PL. We've definitely smashed our allowable losses so our accountants will have to be sensational to magic that away.
I'd forgotten how shit Jackanory could be.

The person who created this complete mess led a review into how we got into it
Ahhh the nostalgia that brings for me. The absolute benchmark example of how the corporate universe operates. The only thing you left out was the conclusion, where someone else ends up paying for it.

We also look like a ****ing sunday league club who can't pay their pitch subs for braunstone park in the eyes of the world. What do you actually have to do at this ****ing club to get your useless ****ing arse kicked out ?
Used to live opposite Braunstone Park, played football there every time the weather permitted

Last edited:
Used to live opposite Braunstone Park, played football there every time the weather permitted
I played sunday youth league football there from U13s to U18s. Before giving it up in favour of an adult life of late nights, booze, fags, drugs & dubious women. Looking back over 40 years later I'm undecided which I miss more !

I played sunday youth league football there from U13s to U18s. Before giving it up in favour of an adult life of late nights, booze, fags, drugs & dubious women. Looking back over 40 years later I'm undecided which I miss more !
I bet you’re not.

The bottom half of the PL is fairly standard in terms of quality over the last umpteen seasons, there are exceptions in every one of them but overall the status quo prevails.

To suggest that if we were promoted would result in an immediate return to the championship is nothing short of lunacy.

I believe EM has a modified plan for if/when we are promoted. Of course my belief in this has no more foundation than most other of the negative bollocks spouted elsewhere.

The only fact that is not up for debate is how well EM has adapted and built our squad to “walk” the championship, and as a person with a glass half full, I firmly believe he has a plan (and is CURRENTLY implementing it) ready for such a return.

If those fans who wish to believe otherwise wish to continue to paint a picture of doom and gloom, then get on with it.

I believe EM has a modified plan for if/when we are promoted.

EM plan is to get Leicester promoted - then dump us for a 'big' PL club when the first opportunity arises.

And of course, my belief has no more foundation than most other of the negative bollocks spouted on here.

EM plan is to get Leicester promoted - then dump us for a 'big' PL club when the first opportunity arises.

And of course, my belief has no more foundation than most other of the negative bollocks spouted on here.
He probably wouldn't get a really big one. But you can bet everything you've got that ****ing Everton would be creeping around. He'd be a twat to take that of course.

I do wonder though if Newcastle would risk it, or hold out for a bigger name when they dump Howe.

Total crap. Very poorly written.
I thought I was just being thick* because I could not follow it at all.

*even thicker than usual

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464