The Players.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFKAKTF FOX

I have no doubt that the players who were at the club prior to the arrival of Sousa are bitterly upset with developments at the club, it appears that there is a great loyalty to Pearson.

Now the appointment of Sousa has yielded a whole new attitude and approach and it is clearly obvious that this has been met with a great deal of negativity amongst the existing squad. This has disappointed me greatly, regardless of how the players feel regards the treatment of Pearson, the appointment of Sousa or his approach to management, they have a responsibility to give their al,l if nothing else out of respect to the fans who pay hard earned cash watch and follow the club.

It is obvious the players do not like Sousa or his methods and it would appear some are clearly conspiring to bring this situation to a head. I think Sosua proved last season that he can get results at this level and if given time and an opportunity to get his ideas across then we can be successful, however I do fear that already to many of the players, out of loyalty to Pearson, have already sealed his fate, with their actions and performances.

Perhaps they know more about square pegs and round holes than Sousa does. Perhaps Sousa needs to realise that you can't play a particular style until you have enough of the right players available to do so.

Perhaps they know more about square pegs and round holes than Sousa does. Perhaps Sousa needs to realise that you can't play a particular style until you have enough of the right players available to do so.

So does the club, players and fans give the new manager time to bring those players in or do they bomb him out without giving him a fair chance.

So does the club, players and fans give the new manager time to bring those players in or do they bomb him out without giving him a fair chance.

I suppose it depends on their assessment of the likely final outcome in each case. It seems that a great many people have already made their assessment and do not consider that time is likely to make a material difference.

I suppose it depends on their assessment of the likely final outcome in each case. It seems that a great many people have already made their assessment and do not consider that time is likely to make a material difference.

Given what you know, can we expect a managerial change or a mass exodus of disgruntled players over the forthcoming days?

Given what you know, can we expect a managerial change or a mass exodus of disgruntled players over the forthcoming days?

I don't think there's time left in the window for a mass exodus of players - and for a matching, though perhaps lesser flow, in the other direction. Managers can be sacked at any time.

I have no knowledge on the subject that is unknown to everybody else, but I suspect that MM will let things flow for a while - and then start thrashing about in his inimitable fashion.

I have the advantage though of being a 'ticker-offer' and can look on our current predicament as possibly leading to an opportunity to place a mark against a few more lower league grounds where I have not seen City play. For that reason and for that reason alone, I would say, "Sousa, you're in" - but in every other way I hope that MM's trigger finger is already starting to itch.

The real unknown is the effect that our new overlords will have on Mandaric's behaviour. He (MM) must be scared stiff of them pissing off before they have handed the money over. And I daresay that they have little insight into how to actually run a football club in England.

Last edited:
If Pearson was pushed to appease the new owners (as appears the most likely scenario), it was a bad decision: however, footballers should be used to playing for different managers and, if we really have whinging players, then the sooner they go the better - whoever they are.

These are supposed to be professional athletes who are paid probably 10x or more what most of us are.

Whoever they are, if they are unable or unwilling to adapt to a different playing style, then they should move clubs and make way for those who would like to play the Sousa way.

If Wenger had to take over an 'Allerdyce' club, I cannot see he would change his style to suit his players. He would help/encourage the players to change and change the players who cannot.

I have not read anywhere that Sousa is a useless manager that cannot achieve results at a club.

Sousa should be given the time, encouragement and support from the club, the players and us to build a winning team playing the Sousa way, even if that means that some of our 'favourite' players have to go.

I am sure there are lots of Sousa type players out there.

Just a thought but perhaps the ones causing disruption behind the scenes are the ones who feel most threatened by Sousa's change of playing style and are making things difficult to protect their own interests.

If Wenger had to take over an 'Allerdyce' club, I cannot see he would change his style to suit his players. He would help/encourage the players to change and change the players who cannot.

Wenger took over a back four of Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn playing a very English style offside defensive style. It was miles away from his own philosophy but he had the wisdom to stick with it because it worked.

Sousa inherited a solid Championship set up with players that can compete and defend well enough. We're shipping daft goals all over the place because Sousa has decided to ignore everything that was already working and totally change the way we defend.

Granted, the system may work for some players. But it doesn't with the ones he inherited.

The man is arrogance personified. Anyone with any sense would take on what Pearson did and tweak it a bit in an attacking sense to begin to evolve it towards his own philosophy.

In this, he has publicly demonstrated himself to be an inept manager.

There is also the shambles of publically supporting Campbell and choosing him over Fryatt when Campbell had no interest in playing for the club whereas Fryatt was happy enough here. How to undermine the only consistent goalscorer the club have in one stroke. Again total incompetence.

How about signing players because their Agent waves them under your nose despite having no real knowledge of them? I'd be surprised if Sousa has ever watched any of his recruits this season live before buying them/getting them on trial. It's way too random to work.

Or spending a month pre-season just confusing players when they just needed fitness and confidence.

Or how about settling your new system down by playing it consistently rather than changing the formation and personnel pretty much every game so far.

Or have the wisdom to take a back seat in interviews and allow your assistant manager who speaks far better English get your views/plans across to people.

It is arrogant of supporters to ignore the comments of QPR and Swansea supporters too. They have a much better understanding of Sousa than us. And what do they almost all say? That he is misguided, arrogant and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. The evidence indicates strongly that they are correct.

This is purely speculative on my part but I also believe Sousa was in discussions about coming here whilst Pearson was still in charge. That again suggests that the man is not trustworthy.

I want the players to rebel against him. I want the supporters to do the same. This season is over already unless we get rid quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is purely speculative on my part but I also believe Sousa was in discussions about coming here whilst Pearson was still in charge. That again suggests that the man is not trustworthy.

I think the fact he was at both our play-off games as MM 'guest' would suggest that was something that was already being worked on.

Don't get me wrong, I thought NP was a boring, arrogant man who didnt give second chances(though in DJs case he was right not to) but he was doing a decent job and even if I think pissing off to Hull was him jumping ship, I think matters off the pitch certainly seems to have forced his hand into making that decision.

I wonder if MM in hindsight is thinking he could've handled it all a bit differently........

As for Sousa... well he's not exactly giving me any confidence for the season:icon_sad:

Concerned as I am, I don't buy into this. If a professional footballer can't trap and pass a football, or can't understand or carry out instructions to play in a different way, what the **** are they doing as professional footballers? More to the point, why the **** do we have them at our club? If they are genuinely that lacking in skill and adaptability, we should get rid of them ASAP.

I don't believe they are lacking and I don't believe this is the problem. Blackpool played an exciting, attacking style of football last season. Did they have much better players capable of great, skillful "continental style" football? Did they have to buy 11 new players to make this change happen? No, they just did what their stupid manager told them to do.

well said, in fact when wenger won the title he also used midfield and attacking players he didnt sign as well, he changed the system slowly and gradually at arsenal.

Another manager is similiar to sousa, he changed a team too fast, it was paul ince at blackburn.

I guess someone will be along in a minute to ignore what you said and just say he needs more time.

I have no doubt that the players who were at the club prior to the arrival of Sousa are bitterly upset with developments at the club, it appears that there is a great loyalty to Pearson.

Now the appointment of Sousa has yielded a whole new attitude and approach and it is clearly obvious that this has been met with a great deal of negativity amongst the existing squad. This has disappointed me greatly, regardless of how the players feel regards the treatment of Pearson, the appointment of Sousa or his approach to management, they have a responsibility to give their al,l if nothing else out of respect to the fans who pay hard earned cash watch and follow the club.

It is obvious the players do not like Sousa or his methods and it would appear some are clearly conspiring to bring this situation to a head. I think Sosua proved last season that he can get results at this level and if given time and an opportunity to get his ideas across then we can be successful, however I do fear that already to many of the players, out of loyalty to Pearson, have already sealed his fate, with their actions and performances.

There seems to be a lot of speculation here presented as fact. No doubt there was loyalty to Pearson but that does not necessarily translate into not giving the new manager a chance.
I have not had the impression of players not trying. It is difficult to imagine some of them ever giving less than 100%.
The idea that there is a conspiracy to get Sousa out seems so very far fetched it really needs some evidence.

My guess (and that is all it is) is that the players do not understand what Sousa is on about. Pearson was a man of few words and to the point. Sousa rambles on. I certainly end up with no idea what he is talking about and I guess the players don't either.

It is easy to dismiss players who want to leave as troublemakers. So far as I know DJ is the only one who has been disruptive. If people want to leave you need to ask them why and take their answers seriously.

Concerned as I am, I don't buy into this. If a professional footballer can't trap and pass a football, or can't understand or carry out instructions to play in a different way, what the **** are they doing as professional footballers? More to the point, why the **** do we have them at our club? If they are genuinely that lacking in skill and adaptability, we should get rid of them ASAP.

I don't believe they are lacking and I don't believe this is the problem. Blackpool played an exciting, attacking style of football last season. Did they have much better players capable of great, skillful "continental style" football? Did they have to buy 11 new players to make this change happen? No, they just did what their stupid manager told them to do.

Surely if their manager was stupid following his ideas would not have got them promoted.

I have not read anywhere that Sousa is a useless manager that cannot achieve results at a club.

Sousa should be given the time, encouragement and support from the club, the players and us to build a winning team playing the Sousa way, even if that means that some of our 'favourite' players have to go.

That's right. It appears that Pearson has been pushed to make way for Sousa. If they players can't adapt they can get out. It's not like they aren't paid enough.

Well said about training methods. What the manager says goes. Afterall, the manager is the one who gets the sack if results don't go his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566