The scoreboard clock... !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

floppus

I'm not sure how many club folksies read this forum but short of writing to the Walkers directly I have chosen this medium to make a point re: the matchday timing device.

As with most situations I reckon that time only becomes really significant when its running out....... !

When the 2 teams kick off at the beginning of a game the time elapsed clock has no real use except for logging the time of a significant event, goal, sub, Elvis breaking into a run etc.

However as time wears on the clock is a valuable and informative device BUT ONLY WHENS ITS RUNNING.

I find it very frustrating that coinciding with the 'sponsored' announcement of the additional minutes to be played the blasted clock freezes at 90 minutes. This doesn't happen on the TV so why does it occur during the Walkers games.

The referee decides on the game time to be played and adds the additional minutes so Please Please can we keep the clock running so we can watch the extra time being measured.

'I have the faith'.

Floppus

I'm not sure how many club folksies read this forum but short of writing to the Walkers directly I have chosen this medium to make a point re: the matchday timing device.

As with most situations I reckon that time only becomes really significant when its running out....... !

When the 2 teams kick off at the beginning of a game the time elapsed clock has no real use except for logging the time of a significant event, goal, sub, Elvis breaking into a run etc.

However as time wears on the clock is a valuable and informative device BUT ONLY WHENS ITS RUNNING.

I find it very frustrating that coinciding with the 'sponsored' announcement of the additional minutes to be played the blasted clock freezes at 90 minutes. This doesn't happen on the TV so why does it occur during the Walkers games.

The referee decides on the game time to be played and adds the additional minutes so Please Please can we keep the clock running so we can watch the extra time being measured.

'I have the faith'.

Floppus

do you not have a stopwatch function on your mobile? tis what i usually use

I'm with floppus on this one. It is very bloody annoying that it stops at 90.00

FA and Football League rules require it to stop. It has nothing to do with the club and, in fact, they would be punished if they allowed it to continue on.

FA and Football League rules require it to stop. It has nothing to do with the club and, in fact, they would be punished if they allowed it to continue on.

they have so many sensible rules don't they

they have so many sensible rules don't they

I think the reason for that rule is that they don't want the timing of the game to become a matter for contention - the referee being the final arbiter.

If the announcement comes through that there are at least 2 minutes of added time, the supporters of a team leading by a narrow margin only hears the 'two minutes' and never the 'at least'; fans of a team losing by a narrow magin will think that it means there are 2 minutes and 59 seconds still to play. And there is always the problem of any added added time that has to be added on as a result of a delay in added time.

I'm not surprised that the footballing authorities came to the decision that they did.

Last edited:

Boc could you show us this rule please to back your point up?

Boc could you show us this rule please to back your point up?

I have been looking for it, believe me. I know it's there; I've seen it before; but I can't find it now.

It basically says that the first half can be timedfrom 00:01 to 45:00 and the second half from 45:01 to 90:00. You can't even time the second half as another 00:01 to 45:00. It's makes it very clear.

Arsenal's match clock used to count down rather than up, do they they still do this at their new stadium?

Arsenal's match clock used to count down rather than up, do they they still do this at their new stadium?

The clock on the front of their stand used to count down but this was replaced by the clock on the big video screen in the corner which counted up.

Counting down clocks are not now allowed.

Counting down clocks are not now allowed.

surely even a total moron can tell that if it says 40 minutes there are 5 left of the half, does this rule not make it look like the authorities think everyone is feckin stupid?

It is (as Boc says) so if the referee informs the 4th official that there is, for example, 2 minutes injury time to be played, but during that 2 minutes something happens to extend that injury time period, the players and the fans attending the game are not misled by the stadium clock if it extends beyond the first announcement.

As Boc says, its basically to ensure the referee is the final arbitor of injury time and to avoid misleading the players/fans should the injury time be extended.

Last edited:
surely even a total moron can tell that if it says 40 minutes there are 5 left of the half, does this rule not make it look like the authorities think everyone is feckin stupid?

I presume that they wanted to ensure consistency between the clocks at different grounds.

I have been looking for it, believe me. I know it's there; I've seen it before; but I can't find it now.

It basically says that the first half can be timedfrom 00:01 to 45:00 and the second half from 45:01 to 90:00. You can't even time the second half as another 00:01 to 45:00. It's makes it very clear.

this is all i could find from the FA

Periods of Play

The match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually agreed between the referee and the two participating teams.

Any agreement to alter the periods of play (for example to reduce each half to 40 minutes because of insuffi cient light) must be made before the start of play and must comply with competition rules. Half-Time Interval

Players are entitled to an interval at half-time. The half-time interval must not exceed 15 minutes. Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval. The duration of the half-time interval may be altered only with the consent of the referee.

Allowance for Time Lost

Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:
  • substitution(s)
  • assessment of injury to players
  • removal of injured players from the fi eld of play for treatment
  • wasting time
  • any other cause
The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee.

Penalty Kick

If a penalty kick has to be taken or retaken, the duration of either half is extended until the penalty kick is completed.

Abandoned Match

An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide otherwise

this is all i could find from the FA

I emailed the FA and the League about it last night. Hopefully there'll be an answer tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566