The Sun today : Cotterill is favourite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Han

Foxes are hot on Cott
By DAVE KIDD

STEVE COTTERILL has emerged as the leading contender to take over from Micky Adams as Leicester boss.

The Burnley chief is a firm favourite with the Walkers Stadium board after a coaching stint under Adams last season.

Cotterill’s close ally Howard Wilkinson was yesterday brought in to assist director of football Dave Bassett as part of Leicester’s caretaker management team following the resignation of Adams on Monday.

Cotterill took over at Turf Moor only in the summer and has transformed Burnley into a tight defensive unit.

Adams quit along with right-hand man Alan Cork after a disappointing start to the season, with Leicester in mid-table following relegation.

Ironically, Cotterill’s first week at Leicester last season saw the club embroiled in the La Manga scandal.

Former Foxes striker Mike Newell, who has led Luton to the top of League One, is another candidate.

And QPR boss Ian Holloway, 41, has also impressed and could be bought out of his existing deal for around £50,000.

Wilkinson’s arrival at the Walkers Stadium has gone down “like a lead balloon” with Foxes fans.

Cliff Ginetta, chairman of the Leicester City Supporters Club, admitted: “There’s a lot of disappointed and disillusioned supporters out there and this isn’t likely to make them feel any better.”

But former Leeds and Sunderland chief Wilkinson, 60, believes he and Bassett can take Leicester back into the Premiership.

He said: “The position we are in is not the best but it is also not the worst. We are well placed to strike for the front and we have got a lot of time to do it.”

Wilkinson and Bassett may put Martin Keown in the team to face Coventry on Saturday.

The former England defender, 38, has returned just two weeks after he was told to go following a bust-up with Adams.

Don't know if I'm happy about this or not really.

alex said:
Me neither JF, me neither.

I think it would be best for all concerned if they just gave me and thee the job now and didn't waste any money on Wilkinson's cryogenics. :lol: :lol:

Holloway would be a good one thugh right/ only £50k compo and he's worked wonders at QPR.

Sounds like the way Sgt Wilko is the talking that he will be hear until the end of the season - Hartlepool here we come!!!

Steve Cotterill is a quality manager and was my shout from the start.I hope he comes here sooner rather than later and get us winning games pronto.

Don't think he'd be the worst appointment,but there will be all kinds of tabloid stories about us in the next week or so,different name everyday.

Yeah I think he could do well at the club, not sure why, but I think I'd be more excited by Newell...Strange.

If Cotteral (sp?) becomes manager id be well happy. Would lift me again after being so depressed when Micky went.

homer237 said:
If Cotteral (sp?) becomes manager id be well happy. Would lift me again after being so depressed when Micky went.

On what grounds would you be 'so happy'?

alex said:
homer237 said:

On what grounds would you be 'so happy'?

My opinion, but i think he is a quality manager, good defensive manager, seems a strong character which is what i think we need at the moment, and the most important thing of all it fits into the fans favorite song. "Steve cotterill" - "Blue&White Army".

Steve 'Long Ball' Cotterill!

Don't think you'll be getting the free flowing football you lot were crying out for last week.

I cannot see any benefit of bringing Cotterill in as manager....

Even if he does a good job, (which I personally think he probably will) he will be out of here as soon as he gets a better offer....

This is a man who has already walked out of Cheltenham and Stoke. If he comes here, you can add Burnley to the list as well.

He is a 'stop at nothing' mercenary who may well do well for us for a bit, but will then leave us right up the swanny as soon as he possibly can.

He's a better option than Wilko, and possibly Joe Fox, but apart from that I'd prefer Gary Mac

Cheers

McAllister is a massive gamble! he's unproven, was unsuccessful at cov. and his wife's condition may well deteriorate again so he could leave us in the lurch.

RichMC24 said:
I cannot see any benefit of bringing Cotterill in as manager....

Even if he does a good job, (which I personally think he probably will) he will be out of here as soon as he gets a better offer....

This is a man who has already walked out of Cheltenham and Stoke. If he comes here, you can add Burnley to the list as well.

He is a 'stop at nothing' mercenary who may well do well for us for a bit, but will then leave us right up the swanny as soon as he possibly can.

He's a better option than Wilko, and possibly Joe Fox, but apart from that I'd prefer Gary Mac
Careful Rich! :lol: Thanks for putting me ahead of Wilko, that is warming.

Cheers

alex said:
Why Gary Mac Rich? Why not Newell?

I have to admit I don't know much about Newell manegerial career thus far. If he was made manager, i would have quite an open mind about it.

He always struck me as a quiet, sullen sort of character when he was playing for Leicester, never thought of him as management material although I'm happy to stand corrected.

I just think Gary Mac because I genuinely believe he will be passionate about the club, I think he will encourage good football, he is well respected all over Europe and generally makes a lot of sense when he's on the telly.....

As for his failure at Cov....Another good point as far as I can see :)

Good points Rich, well played, perhaps his Covscum failure was the old player/manager thing? plus, i mean, they're almost as shite as Forest aren't they?

I saw Newell interviewed and he came across as very ascertive; I have a mate at Luton Town FC who says he's absolutely superb and apparently has all the repsect of the team.

Who knows though mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570