The Sun today : Cotterill is favourite

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got to remember Gary Mac had the job of slashing the wage bill/playing staff/overheads at cov following their relegation.

Most Cov fans think he did well to avoid relegation to Div 2 as he had no money and no decent players for the majority of the time.

Dunc said:
You've got to remember Gary Mac had the job of slashing the wage bill/playing staff/overheads at cov following their relegation.

Most Cov fans think he did well to avoid relegation to Div 2 as he had no money and no decent players for the majority of the time.

Remember another manager that had a similar type of job and a few more problems to deal with, what was his name again? :D :D :)

alex said:
Good points Rich, well played, perhaps his Covscum failure was the old player/manager thing? plus, i mean, they're almost as shite as Forest aren't they?

I saw Newell interviewed and he came across as very ascertive; I have a mate at Luton Town FC who says he's absolutely superb and apparently has all the repsect of the team.

Who knows though mate?

Cotterill is, I am sure, a good manager as are others that have been mentioned but is not City's full requirement just now.

The more thought I give it the more certain I feel that Mike Newell is the best option if we can get him.

Part of my gripe with MA was not just the inconsistent results, the bizarre inability to close out the last 20 minutes of matches, unfathomable tactics and substitutions etc. Alongside that the style of football was grim.

We really need a manager with the ruthlessness to be a winner and the imagination to make us do it with a sparkle. Furthermore the creative football policy needs to extend throughout the club.

Our reserves, our academy players must become disciples of a policy to win with style. We shouldn't be losing regularly at any level with the right coaches and certainly not a bloody friendly against Peterborough.

To do this the team needs a solid centre, fast players on both flanks (at full back and up front), one big, one fast target man, at least two truly creative players, one strong, quick ball winner and players who are all capable of scoring.

It's a simple enough formula an we need a young, attack-minded manager like Mike Newell to make sure we get it.

With Cotterill, Wilkinson, Bassett we'll get a compromise unless any one of em's going to have a personality transplant.

Winning promotion this season is secondary. We ned to start making a statement about who we are and what we are about - a statement that is emphasised in everything we do for years to come.

Newell, Newell would fit in with the songs just right on the run up to Christmas... :lol:

Gary Mac for me bearing in mind the circumstances he did a decent job at Coventry. Also whatever Manager we bring in will be a risk. Remember Strachan at Cov - relegated then goes to Saints and takes them to the FA Cup Final, so you cannot always judge on previous experiences.

We have got a very good squad with some promising youngsters and given Macca's football predigree will no doubt be a good mix. Also he will have learnt from his mistakes and experiences at Coventry and will no doubt come to us a stronger and better manager.

Also given that Wilko is already here (ready made experienced Assistant to help Gary) then I think the appointment could possibly made after the game to Cov. Could be Gary didnt want to start his new career with a new club against his old club especially after Cov were so supportive of him. It would also possibly explain why betting has been suspended.

Keep the Faith said:
Gary Mac for me bearing in mind the circumstances he did a decent job at Coventry. Also whatever Manager we bring in will be a risk. Remember Strachan at Cov - relegated then goes to Saints and takes them to the FA Cup Final, so you cannot always judge on previous experiences.

We have got a very good squad with some promising youngsters and given Macca's football predigree will no doubt be a good mix. Also he will have learnt from his mistakes and experiences at Coventry and will no doubt come to us a stronger and better manager.

Also given that Wilko is already here (ready made experienced Assistant to help Gary) then I think the appointment could possibly made after the game to Cov. Could be Gary didnt want to start his new career with a new club against his old club especially after Cov were so supportive of him. It would also possibly explain why betting has been suspended.

Thing is can you actually see Gary Mac getting us promoted? Bottom line is if we will never have a better oppertunity than this season - and although I like the idea of Gary Mac I can't see us going up unless its through a play off final.

Fox Fan said:
Keep the Faith said:

Thing is can you actually see Gary Mac getting us promoted? Bottom line is if we will never have a better oppertunity than this season - and although I like the idea of Gary Mac I can't see us going up unless its through a play off final.

He has as much chance as anyone else, whoever we take on as the new manager not one of them will guarentee us promotion. GM likes good football and with the squad we have and the respect he will generate will no doubt get the best out of these players. Also with an experienced Assistant with him we could just have a really successful partnership. Why would Mike Newell or any other managercurrently being linked be any more successful ?

To be fair look how difficult Micky has found it this season.

Whoever gets the job lets support them and get behind the team regardless of personal preferences or bragging rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566