The Walking Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if your living in the 50's & 60's when comics were solely for children then yes i guess so.

Nowadays they are much more widely read by a variety of people, not just for the writing but the art work as well. So a 24 year old collecting an adult themed comic shouldnt really be an issue.

It's not an issue. One of my mates reads 'graphic novels'.

I can take abuse and i can definately give it but to question my education ?

I dont think there is a lower form of wit, its just arrogant.

I'm not sure anyone abused you. Your contention that a comic - not even an especially well-known one - was the best thing you had ever read quite rightly attracted a small amount of pisstaking. Look at it this way: I happen to think Family Guy is funny. But I won't claim that Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story is the greatest film I have ever seen, because it isn't. It would be absurd for anyone to claim that.

The writing of this book, the twists and turns and character development are second to known IMO and if that means i didnt go to school as a child, well that just shows the quality of posters on TB these days doesnt it.

One of two possibilities then:

1. That Robert Kirkman is better than John Steinbeck, JRR Tolkien (who, by the way, I hate), Isaac Asimov, Aldous Huxley, Lewis Carroll, George Orwell, Charles Dickens, Agatha Christie (another one I can't stand), Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, CS Lewis, Virginia Woolf, JD Salinger, Ernest Hemingway, Marcel Proust, Stephen King, Homer, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Truman Capote, William Burroughs, William Shakespeare and Anton Chekhov.

or

2. You've never read anything by the above mentioned authors.

So which is it?

Once again, your directing this at the wrong person.

What are you talking about? I didn't direct it at anybody, I made a factual statement.

All i have said is that the walking dead is the best thing i have ever read, which it is.

It may well be the best comic that you've read, but you can't compare it to any novels that you may, or may not, have read because they are two different media.

Im pretty sure... that you do read comics ?

Yes, but only in the same way that you look at a movie and you also look at a piece of art. That doesn't make them comparable.

Slightly over the top statement

Not at all, it's a fact.

im a big reader of both and i can see many similarities.

Page numbers?

If any of you people dropped the act

Act??? What act?

...and actually read the book, then we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Why wouldn't we? That makes no sense at all.

I can't see why graphic novels can't be compared with classic pieces of literature - it's just another way of telling a story, even if the medium is different it's still literature.

I like to think I'm quite well read, I love Orwell, Palahniuk, Huxley and Evelyn Waugh's 'Scoop' is one of my favourite books, but at the same time some of the most profound, insightful and moving literature I have read has been in graphic novel form. For example, The Watchmen by Alan Moore is, in my opinion, one of the finest examples of storytelling ever and is without equal in the realm of graphic novels. I've never been more engrossed in a story in my life.

Other graphic novels, such as Maus and V for Vendetta, are fantastic pieces of literature and deliver fantastic stories with biting social commentary.

At the end of the day, I would suggest that people keep an open mind and read some graphic novels - don't just dismiss them as comics for geeks!

I can't see why graphic novels can't be compared with classic pieces of literature - it's just another way of telling a story, even if the medium is different it's still literature.

Because it isn't 'literature', it is entirely different.
Comics, or graphic novels if you prefer, use imagery to tell a story. Literature uses the written word to tell a story. They're not comparable in that sense.

I like to think I'm quite well read, I love Orwell, Palahniuk, Huxley and Evelyn Waugh's 'Scoop' is one of my favourite books, but at the same time some of the most profound, insightful and moving literature I have read has been in graphic novel form. For example, The Watchmen by Alan Moore is, in my opinion, one of the finest examples of storytelling ever and is without equal in the realm of graphic novels. I've never been more engrossed in a story in my life.

Other graphic novels, such as Maus and V for Vendetta, are fantastic pieces of literature and deliver fantastic stories with biting social commentary.

You seem to have mistakenly concluded that I'm dismissive of comics (I can't call them graphic novels, it's too pretentious), I'm not, I've enjoyed many of them and you're absolutely right, V for Vendetta is superb. But it still isn't 'literature'.

At the end of the day...

<shudder/>

...I would suggest that people keep an open mind and read some graphic novels - don't just dismiss them as comics for geeks!

Well, I certainly haven't dismissed them at all. Just pointing out that oranges are not apples, video games are not movies and comics are not novels.

Gah, can't believe I used such a cliche. It just slipped out, honest, guvnor.

How fecking sad, the bloke makes a thread to try and bring something that he thinks people may enjoy to their attention and it turns into this 'Ill try to find a problem with anything anyone posts' nonsense.

Some people really know how to take things too far.

Last edited:
I haven't bothered to read all the posts so if someone has mentioned it on here already then i'm sorry. Graphic novels are now a part of English within schools, i have seen plenty of English lessons use them such as Silverfish or something.

They help get kids that don't read much into reading which is excellent.

I am all for them, I dont read them myself or that Manga stuff.

This is madness. Comics! Say it out loud and listen to yourself! ****ing COMICS!

Have you never heard of dumbing down? Dumbing down is the future; it's going to solve all our problems!

Last edited:
How fecking sad, the bloke makes a thread to try and bring something that he thinks people may enjoy to their attention and it turns into this 'Ill try to find a problem with anything anyone posts' nonsense.

Some people really know how to take things too far.

No it hasn't, what are you babbling on about?

From my seat that is how it looks im afraid.

Can you show me? Because I can only see a conversation about comics.
You know what conversations are don't you? It's what you do on a forum.

Can you show me?

Not really, It's my feeling on the matter, Im not too fussed whether anyone else thinks the same way.

Last edited:
Not really, It's my feeling on the matter, Im not too fussed whether anyone else thinks the same way.

I know what you mean, I've just reread the entire thread and I saw a leprechaun eating a ham sandwich. I don't care if anybody else can see it or not, but if you can, don't you think his hat looks a bit stupid?

What a lot of girlie hysteria :icon_roll

The point I was making was that Kingy has gone through the entire education system with the opportunity to be exposed to the world's finest novels, poetry and drama - and yet the best thing he has ever read is a feckin' comic

It can have as many pages as you like, and be part of an incredibly exciting youth genre with a fun name - but at the end of the day it's a sodding comic, and not a work of great literature

It's tragic

innit

What a lot of girlie hysteria :icon_roll

The point I was making was that Kingy has gone through the entire education system with the opportunity to be exposed to the world's finest novels, poetry and drama - and yet the best thing he has ever read is a feckin' comic

It can have as many pages as you like, and be part of an incredibly exciting youth genre with a fun name - but at the end of the day it's a sodding comic, and not a work of great literature

It's tragic

innit

And how exactly do you know that Kingy has not taken the opportunity to read some of 'the world's finest novels, poetry and drama'?

Maybe he has, maybe he enjoyed his graphic novel slightly more than the supposed greats of world literature that you regualrly enjoy, maybe he didn't feel the need to go with the rest of the great minds on here and only enjoy what he thinks a 1920's head master would love him to read.

You are certainly right about one thing, it's tragic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669