Those were the days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup - he's still around. Leading the Bellarmine Prep School Summer Soccer School next month. Penpic here with recent photo.

I'm not sure that you do recall correctly. He went down with cancer of the tongue about 5 years ago but I'm sure he managed to beat it and is still in remission.

:icon_redfOh dear, well my apologies to Joe. I must have remembered hearing that he was ill and for some reason thought the worst. I am very pleased to hear that he is indeed still with us and judging by the picture looking in good health.

That obviously wasn't Loftus Road or QPR unfortunately. I'm not sure who the opposition is there. Any ideas anyone?

I've just looked on Wiki to remind me of that cup run of 1973/74. We beat 4 London teams, which was great for me as I lived and worked there.

This is QPR and it is the FA Cup game referred too. I was there. Great day. My memory may playing tricks but I think all white was our first choice strip for the whole of that season. I don't think Joe scored another goal for us and certainly not two in a game.

That obviously wasn't Loftus Road or QPR unfortunately. I'm not sure who the opposition is there. Any ideas anyone?

Oh dear, oh dear... unfortunately.

I've just looked on Wiki to remind me of that cup run of 1973/74. We beat 4 London teams, which was great for me as I lived and worked there.

Tottenham, Fulham, QPR and eeerrr...

This is QPR and it is the FA Cup game referred too.

I can't understand why anybody would think differently.

I was there.

I wasn't... unfortunately.

Great day.

I bet it was. It wasn't too bad in Stourbridge either when news of that result came through.

My memory may playing tricks but I think all white was our first choice strip for the whole of that season.

It was actually the previous season when white was first choice. We played in white at Loftus Road because of the colour clash; QPR played in red because the rules then stated that both teams had to change in the event of a clash.

I don't think Joe scored another goal for us and certainly not two in a game.

He got just one more goal in his short City career, up at Newcastle.

boccadillo, you're very bright for this unearthly hour and spot-on with you're comments. I loved that 72/73 strip and the fantastic team we had for a few years.

My apologies to everyone I still can't believe that was Loftus Road. I was very drunk at the time.

Drunk? Do you mean last night? Or 1974? Or both?

You're right though. It looks a bigger ground in the video than it does now. I suppose the effect of all those standing people.

Did anyone on here go to the Semi-final against Liverpool at Old Trafford? Perhaps Boc was there or was he knitting.

I went but it's a very hazy memory. I recall the replay and the earlier rounds much more vividly. Perhaps it was a stinker of a game.

Your correct, stupid mistake I must admit. I remember Joe Waters first goal, it seemed an age before he ran onto the ball and blasted it in. I don't think that stadium has changed much since.
I bought my tickets the week before on a Sunday from QPR's ticket office, though I can't recollect being with the home fans during the game. Great night afterwards!

There are many ways in which I prefer going to football today - superb pitches, foreign players, stadiums that are more comfortable for people my age etc - but the segregation of fans is a sad reflection on football fans.

I accept that segregation had to happen and am not advocating that it be removed. However, in the 1970s whenever Leicester were playing Wolves, Villa or Birmingham I would visit my family and travel by coach from Worcester with the opposing fans. I never made any secret of being a Leicester supporter and was always made welcome. There was never any unpleasantness whatever had happened during the match. I used to go to games at Forest and Derby around the half way line among their fans, celebrating our goals and never felt under any pressure. In another thread I mentioned a goal Keith Weller scored away to Forest in a pre-season friendly. It is unimaginable that today we would have a friendly against Forest.

Whilst we're on the subject of Liverpool, did anyone else see Keith Wellers brilliant hat-trick against them the season before?

I accept that segregation had to happen and am not advocating that it be removed. However, in the 1970s whenever Leicester were playing Wolves, Villa or Birmingham I would visit my family and travel by coach from Worcester with the opposing fans. I never made any secret of being a Leicester supporter and was always made welcome.
I'm a Londoner born and bred but always City (after my Grandad and other family). I used to take the football specials if we played a London Team and I got beaten up on a Chelsea special and they didn't even know I was City. I also got attacked by City fans coming off a West Ham special. Those were the days!!!!

Did anyone on here go to the Semi-final against Liverpool at Old Trafford? Perhaps Boc was there or was he knitting.

As I recall we hardly got the ball into their half. I'm sure my memory will have simplified matters but I think we forced a couple of corners fairly late in the game & that was about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669