Those were the days!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst we're on the subject of Liverpool, did anyone else see Keith Wellers brilliant hat-trick against them the season before?

I was at the match but all I can remember is Mike Stringfellow playing up front alongside Frankie Wortho. He got absolutely battered by Larry Lloyd and went off reappearing later with a Terry Butcher style bandage around his noggin.

But admittedly I was taking strong narcotics around that time.

Did anyone on here go to the Semi-final against Liverpool at Old Trafford? Perhaps Boc was there or was he knitting.

I went to Old Trafford and to Villa for the replay. In the case of the Villa game, I'd had an interview on Jersey earlier in the day and only just made it. The knitting was another day.

btw you still haven't told us who the fourth London club that we beat in that year's cup run was.

Did anyone on here go to the Semi-final against Liverpool at Old Trafford? Perhaps Boc was there or was he knitting.

Yes.

I was in Liverpool three or four years ago talking to an architectural historian. He asked if I was a Leicester fan and when I said yes the topic immediately changed and he got quite animated about that match and what a brilliant goalkeeper Peter Shilton had been. We agreed that Liverpool totally outplayed us that day. Our back four could not cope with Keegan who was virtually unplayable - except he could not get past Shilton. As it was we could have won because we had what I thought was a good penalty appeal refused when Glover (I think) was brought down. Shilton's rival (and friend) Ray Clemence was in goal at the other end and Shilts certainly made a statement that day.

At The Curve Birch said MON had told him "I'm sick of hearing about the Bloomfield era. You won f_____ all." I believe that had MON been managing the quality of players Bloomfield had he would have won more than he did - good players though his were. I do not believe O'Neill would have appreciated a midfielder as gentlemanly as Jon Sammels while Bloomfield would have had nothing but contempt for Robbie Savage.

There was a lot of criticism in O'Neills day that we did not score more goals from open play. Muzzy and Lennon were good midfield players and Guppy was a good winger but they were not great by the standards of the top division. What O'Neill would have given for a Weller and a Glover who on their day could break down top defences.

Lets just be pleased we had Bloomfield and O'Neill as managers and enjoy the season under Sven.

At The Curve Birch said MON had told him "I'm sick of hearing about the Bloomfield era. You won f_____ all." I believe that had MON been managing the quality of players Bloomfield had he would have won more than he did - good players though his were.

I'm not sure it works like that.

Bloomfield chose to assemble a team primarily to play attractive attacking football. He was quite willing to bring in quality players who had been rejected by the top sides because they had flaws in their game e.g. Worthington couldn't pass a medical to satisfy Liverpool & Sammels was a midfielder who didn't do tackling and had a habbit of shooting a few yards over the bar etc etc. I doubt if O'Neill would have thought that Glover tracked back enough.

O'Neill produces sides that are hard to beat. Work ethic is everything.I mainly enjoyed his stay at Leicester because of the success - rather than the entertainment which wasn't at the same level as the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Old Trafford and to Villa for the replay. In the case of the Villa game, I'd had an interview on Jersey earlier in the day and only just made it. The knitting was another day.

btw you still haven't told us who the fourth London club that we beat in that year's cup run was.

The London club was Luton, it's because they used to feature on the Big Match on Sunday's. Well that's my excuse.
I remember Liverpool did batter us in that semi-final and Shilton was outstanding.

The London club was Luton, it's because they used to feature on the Big Match on Sunday's. Well that's my excuse.

Well as long as you know it is just an excuse...
:icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670