tomtom One XL sat-nav - set-up advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoShaunUK

Ok guys, I just bought a tomtom One XL sat-nav for my new car. However my PC is not recognising the unit, as I apparently don't have the correct drivers for it and they are not present on the supplied software CD. It really has been a nightmare trying to get this up and running and tomtom support so far have not really been much help...

Anyone ran into any problems like this before with any USB hardware? The new hardware wizard always fails to find the 'necessary software' (drivers)...

Ok guys, I just bought a tomtom One XL sat-nav for my new car. However my PC is not recognising the unit, as I apparently don't have the correct drivers for it and they are not present on the supplied software CD. It really has been a nightmare trying to get this up and running and tomtom support so far have not really been much help...

Anyone ran into any problems like this before with any USB hardware? The new hardware wizard always fails to find the 'necessary software' (drivers)...

Are you sure it needs a specific driver?
Did the supplied software install okay?
Where is the hardware wizard searching for a driver from? Have you tried pointing the wizard to the supplied CD?

It should just recognise it as a removable storage device from memory.

What version of windows are using?

Do other USB devices work?

I've contacted tomtom customer support and they say it shouldn't require a driver it should just be recognised... but it isn't. I have had problems with other USB things before so the problem could likely be with my PC. I'm really considering de-fragging my whole PC and getting it back to it's original factory state then just start downloading the stuff I actually need on it. There is stuff on here I don't even remember downloading before :icon_lol:

When I tap the 'connect to computer' icon on the tomtom unit it seems to begin doing so but then leads me around in circles by asking me if I want to connect to the PC again every time...

..and I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2

Last edited:
I've contacted tomtom customer support and they say it shouldn't require a driver it should just be recognised... but it isn't. I have had problems with other USB things before so the problem could likely be with my PC. I'm really considering de-fragging my whole PC and getting it back to it's original factory state then just start downloading the stuff I actually need on it. There is stuff on here I don't even remember downloading before :icon_lol:

When I tap the 'connect to computer' icon on the tomtom unit it seems to begin doing so but then leads me around in circles by asking me if I want to connect to the PC again every time...

..and I'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2

You dont need to go to those lengths and in any case, defragging and restore your PC to factory defaults are 2 very different things with the former being of no use at all to you plight.

Right click 'My computer' and then choose properties, then 'device manager'. Do you see any yellow exclamation marks over any of the components?

When I click 'connect to computer' on the TT unit, if I have 'device manager' open it will briefly show up the tomtom unit under other devices, it has a yellow circle by it with a black exclamation mark inside, which means the device is not working properly (I think?) but then, the whole thing disappears and it says that the hardware is no longer plugged in (this is around the point where the TT unit is asking me if I want to connect it to my PC again..

I think I have serious problems with the 'found new hardware wizard' on my PC but haven't the foggiest about how to sort it out...

When I click 'connect to computer' on the TT unit, if I have 'device manager' open it will briefly show up the tomtom unit under other devices, it has a yellow circle by it with a black exclamation mark inside, which means the device is not working properly (I think?) but then, the whole thing disappears and it says that the hardware is no longer plugged in (this is around the point where the TT unit is asking me if I want to connect it to my PC again..

I think I have serious problems with the 'found new hardware wizard' on my PC but haven't the foggiest about how to sort it out...

If you did as I instructed you could quickly ascertain whether your USB ports where working correctly. You already know the Tom Tom unit isnt working as youd like when conected to the PC.

If you did as I instructed you could quickly ascertain whether your USB ports where working correctly. You already know the Tom Tom unit isnt working as youd like when conected to the PC.

the USB ports appear to be working fine in device manager, as does everything else on my PC.. the only mark that appears is when the tomtom briefly loads up. I have had problems with USB items before, my camera has problems connecting with my PC but fortunately I have something else which is actually able to detect that even though the 'found new hardware' wizard doesn't...

the USB ports appear to be working fine in device manager, as does everything else on my PC.. the only mark that appears is when the tomtom briefly loads up. I have had problems with USB items before, my camera has problems connecting with my PC but fortunately I have something else which is actually able to detect that even though the 'found new hardware' wizard doesn't...

Devices like this use a generic Windows driver in the System32 folder.
If these drivers are corrupted, or if there is something else that you've installed conflicting with it, you'll have problems connecting devices like cameras, storage drives etc.

If this is the case, the only, realistic, way around it would be to restore Windows.
Make sure that you back up everything on your PC before doing this though as everything will be wiped clean.

Devices like this use a generic Windows driver in the System32 folder.
If these drivers are corrupted, or if there is something else that you've installed conflicting with it, you'll have problems connecting devices like cameras, storage drives etc.

If this is the case, the only, realistic, way around it would be to restore Windows.
Make sure that you back up everything on your PC before doing this though as everything will be wiped clean.

I think I might just wipe everything clean anyway and restore windows, everything I do need I have installation CDs for and I will just have to make copies of my important files onto CD or something, there have been other USB items installed on the PC and this is not the first I've had trouble trying to install a plug and play device!!

Incidentally, how do I go about restoring windows to factory default? I would assume I have a disk somewhere that I got with the PC that allows me to do this..?

Incidentally, how do I go about restoring windows to factory default? I would assume I have a disk somewhere that I got with the PC that allows me to do this..?

Yeah you should have a Windows CD (unless your name's Fludie that is), boot from the cd and follow the instructions. If you want to wipe the machine from scratch, delete the partition and create a new one.

I think that would be for the best... I have just found that I have definately got the CD with Windows XP on, will probably sort it out later as I have to pick up my new car today as well, looks like I will be nav-less for the time being!

So I just press F12 at start up with this CD inserted and boot it from there...???

So I just press F12 at start up with this CD inserted and boot it from there...???

You will need to enter the setup (not sure which F key, depends on what your pc is), set the boot order so that it boots from CD first, save the settings. Your PC will reboot, and then press a key to boot from CD when it tells you to.

You shouldn't need to go messing in the bios, just restart the PC with the CD loaded and follow the instructions.

You shouldn't need to go messing in the bios, just restart the PC with the CD loaded and follow the instructions.

What happens if his machine tries to boot from disc first? :102:

What happens if his machine tries to boot from disc first? :102:

Then there'll be no harm done and he will need to go in and change the boot order.
It's unlikely though, most bios are set to boot from CD first, before the harddrive.
Historically it was A: drive, D: drive then C: drive, anybody who remembers 1.4MB floppies will remember 'Invalid Boot Disc' errors when you rebooted your PC and forgot to take out a floppy disc from the A: drive.
It's also meant that OEM PC manufacturers don't have to handle support calls from people in Shaun's position, where they want to restore Windows from the CD that they've supplied them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363