Top 2 Finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringo

Yesterdays News of the world centre pages was the prediction stats for all football leagues this coming season. Don't know how many of you guys saw it but I remember this time last year reading the same article and the papers had us down then in the championship for a top half finish, somewhat better than where we are today. This year there saying champions Leeds, runners up and promoted Leicester and Carlisle third, who's having a wager on that then? Any thoughts?

Then I did put a ton on us finishing top when we signed Dublin, Keown et all

Nearly relegated!

Unknown league + standard all will become clear after the first 6 games.

Squad that can only do better this year, a real manager, real competition for places, decent signings and great young lads, no round pegs in square holes + good back room staff, not unknown yes men

Yesterdays News of the world centre pages was the prediction stats for all football leagues this coming season. Don't know how many of you guys saw it but I remember this time last year reading the same article and the papers had us down then in the championship for a top half finish, somewhat better than where we are today. This year there saying champions Leeds, runners up and promoted Leicester and Carlisle third, who's having a wager on that then? Any thoughts?

We should be one of the favourites, with our resources, and I expect us to make the play-offs at worst.

I wish I had the resources to get a season ticket, as I think, for the first time in ages, it will be worth the money.

I'd be surprised if Carlisle do as well as last season, they've lost two of their better players. Unless Michael Bridges finds the form that made him a £5 million player and he stays fit all season.

Leeds got off to a great start last season, but didn't continue when McAllister took over. So although I expect them to be up there challenging I don't think they'll run away with it, and they may have to settle for losing in the play-offs again.

My outsider tip is Oldham, worth an each way bet, 28-1 at Ladbrokes.

The very lowest we will finish this season is first. I know we're all pesimists and City always flatter to deceive but let's be realistic... We're competing with Hereford and Leyton Orient for **** sake and if Carlisle and Oldham are 'serious' competition then we will win this league trotting up.

McCallister is a twat of a manager so to hell with the big challenge from Elland Road.

The very lowest we will finish this season is first. I know we're all pesimists and City always flatter to deceive but let's be realistic... We're competing with Hereford and Leyton Orient for **** sake and if Carlisle and Oldham are 'serious' competition then we will win this league trotting up.

McCallister is a twat of a manager so to hell with the big challenge from Elland Road.

I agree. I keep trying to keep my optimism and expectations in check, because I've expected us to do well for the last few seasons and it has not happened... but really we should be looking to win this league at a canter.

Leeds are the bookies and pundits favourites, but as has been said, they dropped off a lot with McAllister last season. All depends on Pearson I guess, but I'd be suprised if we're not in the top 2 at least come the end of the season.

It's like reading the Leeds United sites from last summer.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the opposition but there is no way that I can see a Leicester City side streamrolling everybody. It's just not us.

Last edited:
It's like reading the Leeds United sites from last summer.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the opposition but there is no way that I can see a Leicester City side streamrolling everybody. It's just not us.

Yeah but for the most part Leeds did steamroller everybody and would have gone up automatically if they had started on equal terms with everyone else.

Just love the way you guys think you are going to steam roller this division :081:

I think we'll struggle for a while and come to terms with it around Christmas. Late run into the playoffs.

As for those nobheads up the road, they'll be lucky to stay up because they have a shite manager, which can cost you big time. Ask us how we know.

Anything less than second would be poor with the squad we now have. I reckon we will win the division by at least 10 points.

we may just scrap a play off place and then its really a lottery as too wether we get up through it, cant see any better than that

We will have to fight for every point. I do not expect any easy games. Having said that I expect us to fight for and win (nearly) every point, I expect us to win games, I expect us to be challenging for a top 2 spot. We have a big sqaud with some good enough players available to us. My confidence has been shattered over recent seasons - but I will retain my optimism. Until something happens to crush it again.

We must get a winning start, we need the confidence that only a run of wins gives you.

Neither finishing in the top two nor somewhere as undistinguished as 10th would suprise me.

A relatively well resourced clubs with some promising signs in pre-season give some grounds for optimism. But if one also acknowledges the fact that several big clubs have failed to go up first time - Leeds and Forest most noteably - and the fact that Leicester are forging a new team in a new league with means there is thus an awful lot of learning and transition going on for these players thus you wouldn't be suprised with a finish not much above mid-table either.

Last edited:
Several big clubs have failed to go up first time - Leeds and Forest most noteably.

We cannot compare the challenge we face this season to the challenge that Leeds faced last season. It's not that they didn't have the quality to go up - they would have finished as champions if it were not for their points deduction.

People keep saying "Well, look at Leeds - they're a big club and they didn't go straight back up" but if we do as well as they did last season then we would surely finish champions or runners-up?

We cannot compare the challenge we face this season to the challenge that Leeds faced last season. It's not that they didn't have the quality to go up - they would have finished as champions if it were not for their points deduction.

People keep saying "Well, look at Leeds - they're a big club and they didn't go straight back up" but if we do as well as they did last season then we would surely finish champions or runners-up?

I don't think you are champions if you finish second.

I don't think you are champions if you finish second.

Alright, whatever - it still doesn't take away from my original point; Leeds would have been promoted last season if it weren't for their points deduction.

Leeds would have been promoted last season if it weren't for their points deduction.

How do you know that?

Maybe the reason they started so well was because of the points deduction. It created a siege mentality at the club which motivated the players, and the pressure was off because no one expected them to challenge for a top two place.
Once automatic promotion looked likely and the pressure was on they bottled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669