Top 5 City Managers of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's O'Neill for me to be honest. That side was simply awesome, especially the midfield. Come on, tell me you wouldn't swap our current midfield for the Lennon, muzzy, savage set up. They complimented each other excellently.

I remember three-digit phone numbers. And I've just learnt how to saw "thank you" in Polish today.

Perhaps you should concentrate on your English before you start to get clever. :icon_bigg

Perhaps you should concentrate on your English before you start to get clever. :icon_bigg

:icon_redf - ****ing predictive text!

Pearson's first spell 2008-10: 51.40%
Pearson's second spell 2011-present: 50.37%
Frank O'Farrell 1968-71: 46.76%
David Halliday 1955-58: 44.14%
Brian Little 1991-94: 42.70%
Matt Gillies 1958-68: 40.70%
Norman Bullock 1949-55: 39.39%
Frank Womack 1936-39: 38.71%
Martin O'Neill 1995-2000: 38.12%

This probably proves that Gillies and O'Neill are the best because their record was most in the top division

Subs weren't introduced until 1965. Take that into consideration and look at what Matt Gillies achieved.
Impressive!

It's O'Neill for me to be honest. That side was simply awesome, especially the midfield. Come on, tell me you wouldn't swap our current midfield for the Lennon, muzzy, savage set up. They complimented each other excellently.

I certainly would not want Robbie Savage back. At a Legends evening Steve Walsh described him as a prick which I feel sums him up. That same evening Taggart remembered being rollocked by O'Neill for passing to Savage who immediately lost the ball. "You pass to Muzzy or Neil Lennon. They are footballers. "

There was something disconcerting about a manager who modelled himself on Brian Clough picking a player who dived and attempted to get opponents sent off.

I remember when hardly anybody had a phone at home and if the phone rang as you were passing a phone box, you would answer it and then go down the road and knock on the door of the person who the call was for.

1990s Teesside?

I certainly would not want Robbie Savage back. At a Legends evening Steve Walsh described him as a prick which I feel sums him up. That same evening Taggart remembered being rollocked by O'Neill for passing to Savage who immediately lost the ball. "You pass to Muzzy or Neil Lennon. They are footballers. "

There was something disconcerting about a manager who modelled himself on Brian Clough picking a player who dived and attempted to get opponents sent off.

You're being a bit harsh on Savage there David. He was actually a very good player for us, his energy and attitude were immense at times. He kept a player like Zagorakis out of the side on merit. In reality, he became a wholly associated with diving/cheating after the Spurs final but before and after that, certainly whilst playing for us, he usually just got on with his job and did it very effectively.

Yes, he went on to become a parody of himself and a bit of a joke character, but there was more to him than that. Otherwise, he wouldn't have sustained a Premier League career for a decade with several sides.

I recall Savage as being one of two players who actually looked better in Taylor's team (the other being Andy Impey).

The thing about that League Cup final was that not only was it horrid cheating, it was utterly brainless and arguably lost us the match. Spurs promptly withdrew into a defensive shell at a point where I felt we were just starting to exert control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669