Pre Match Tottenham v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head-to-head

• Tottenham have lost just one of their past nine home league games against Leicester (W6, D2), a 1-0 defeat in January 2016.
  • There have been 31 goals scored in the past seven Premier League meetings, at an average of 4.4 per game.
Tottenham Hotspur

• Jose Mourinho's side have won seven of their last 10 Premier League home games, including each of the last three.
  • Spurs had 24% possession against Liverpool on Wednesday, their lowest figure since Opta began recording such data in 2003-04.
  • All but five of Tottenham's 25 top-flight goals this season have been scored by Son Heung-min or Harry Kane, who have 11 and nine respectively.
  • Kane and Son have scored and assisted 12 of those goals, one short of the all-time record for goal combinations in a Premier League season, set by Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton for Blackburn in 1994-95.
Leicester City

• Leicester have lost three of their past five top-flight games.
  • However, the Foxes have won five of their six away league matches this season.
  • Brendan Rodgers' side have conceded seven Premier League goals following corners, two more than their final total last season.
  • Rodgers has recorded victories in six of his last seven Premier League matches as a manager versus Tottenham, but he is winless in seven previous games against Jose Mourinho-led sides.
  • Jamie Vardy has scored five goals and assisted three more in his last 10 Premier League games against Spurs, with four of his five goals coming away from home.

from this weekend the benches are expanded back to 9 players, still only 3 subs to be made

I suggest both sides sit back and settle for a 0-0 draw.

Not a bad shout. If we play our usual we'll be fecked. Just let the keeper have the ball for 90mins and no embarrassment.

I think we will revert back to three central defenders, as we have away from home consistently. If Castagne is fit, he must come in. We need Ndidi in midfield too. The problem is having to play Fuchs again but it weakens us too much to play Justin in there and using Albrighton at wing back. Of the four realistic options to play high up the pitch with Vardy, I'd go with Barnes for his pace and mobility and he was the option that worked away to Man City and Leeds:

Schmeichel
Fofana Evans Fuchs
Justin Praet Ndidi Tielemans Castagne
Vardy Barnes

Subs: Ward, Amartey, Thomas, Albrighton, Mendy, Under, Perez, Iheanacho, Maddison

At this point is there much difference between playing Fuchs and Big Wes in their ability to defend?

I think we will revert back to three central defenders, as we have away from home consistently. If Castagne is fit, he must come in. We need Ndidi in midfield too. The problem is having to play Fuchs again but it weakens us too much to play Justin in there and using Albrighton at wing back. Of the four realistic options to play high up the pitch with Vardy, I'd go with Barnes for his pace and mobility and he was the option that worked away to Man City and Leeds:

Schmeichel
Fofana Evans Fuchs
Justin Praet Ndidi Tielemans Castagne
Vardy Barnes

Subs: Ward, Amartey, Thomas, Albrighton, Mendy, Under, Perez, Iheanacho, Maddison
Pretty much this or Albrighton in and Justin into the back 3 instead of Fuchs. And can't choose between Barnes or Perez.
Must be a back 3 though, at all costs.

At this point is there much difference between playing Fuchs and Big Wes in their ability to defend?

Morgan is easily the better option in central defence but he's done as realistic option. I think it's well known now that the club think he can only play 10-15 mins at most due to his back.

He's probably already played more than they expected him to this season. I guess that his role was supposed to be more of a cheerleader.

Spuds will just sit with 11 behind the ball watching us fanny around passing it sideways and backwards then when we try some stupid Hollywood type pass which gives possession to them they will just lob the ball to Son who will leave Fuchs on his Arse before either curling it into the net or setting Kane up for his obligatory tap in.
Then rinse and repeat.

2-0 to us then.

Spuds will just sit with 11 behind the ball watching us fanny around passing it sideways and backwards then when we try some stupid Hollywood type pass which gives possession to them...
The ball goes to Kane who is sitting deep with no one picking him up, half the Tottenham team sprint past him and the Leicester back three are completely outnumbered leaving him with lots of options who to pass to, a goal ensues. They do this a lot and even though I thoroughly dislike him Kane is a very good player who deliver an excellent pass.

If Amartey is fully fit and we are playing a back 3 he starts, swap Fofana over to the left of the 3 Fuchs on the bench in place of Big Wes

The ball goes to Kane who is sitting deep with no one picking him up, half the Tottenham team sprint past him and the Leicester back three are completely outnumbered leaving him with lots of options who to pass to, a goal ensues. They do this a lot and even though I thoroughly dislike him Kane is a very good player who deliver an excellent pass.
What can we realistically do to counter this though? If we try the same and park the bus, they have the quality to fire in a blooter or get past one of our 3rd rate, second string defenders. Our only hope is a bottle job of England proportions with Spuds suffering the same "outclassed by Liverpool and now we have the confidence of a toy poodle" syndrome as us.

If we're playing a back 3 and Amartey is playing then put Amartey on Kane,or find Pontus Kamarks boots and put them on JJ.

You'd start Amartey? Well, I guess, if needs must... but he gives me the heebie-jeebies. Real baptism of fire for the poor fella too. He's hardly played and only just back from injury (if indeed he is)

Our best hope is that Jose suddenly fears our creativity (having not actually watched us) and decides to sit back... and even then we'll rely on them having a 'mare on the counter. I just want to avoid being dicked. 1 or 2 nothing and I can pretend I don't care.

We could, of course, play out a snore draw... or even.... win?? Nah.

You'd start Amartey? Well, I guess, if needs must... but he gives me the heebie-jeebies. Real baptism of fire for the poor fella too. He's hardly played and only just back from injury (if indeed he is)

Our best hope is that Jose suddenly fears our creativity (having not actually watched us) and decides to sit back... and even then we'll rely on them having a 'mare on the counter. I just want to avoid being dicked. 1 or 2 nothing and I can pretend I don't care.

baptism of fire like starting away at Man City for the first time since you broke your ankle? He is a perfect fit for the RCB role in a back 3, comfortable going wide due to playing full back, quick strong and good in the air, decent enough on the ball too.

The big question is his fitness after his hamstring injury

decent enough on the ball too.
"enough" being the operative word. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

I actually like Dan a lot. I'd like to see him fit and playing again, believe me. I reckon he's not the most confident of players though, and I'd prefer in an ideal world (which we're not in) for him to be eased back in. A run out with the development squad, just to get the feel of it all again.

Still, it's not an ideal world and if needs must. I'm confident he'll do his best and I'd hope he's up to it. Tbh, I'm concerned about him, he's a hard a bad run of luck what with one thing and another.

Wouldn't really want to start either but Fuchs has looked a liability the last few games and playing against Son and Kane is the stuff of nightmares.
Amartey on the right of a back 3 for me would be a better option.

Is it over yet?
How many did we get beat by?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472