Tour Diary and team for Partick game

Status
Not open for further replies.

homer

Tour Diary

Posted on: Tue 24 Jul 2007
We arrived in Scotland in the early part of yesterday afternoon. We had a quick, brief team meeting where we made the players and staff aware of the way we should be conducting ourselves while we are away.
After this it was straight into lunch and then on to the bus and down for training. Upon arrival it was clear that the facilities that had been put in place were fantastic and credit must go to Donald Barron (video analyst) for making regular visits up on his patch.
We had a good afternoon session of coaching some defensive strategies into the players. Their attention to detail and focus was spot on.

After this we returned to the hotel where ice baths awaited the players yet again. Then it was down for dinner before going into our presentation room/games room for a presentation from Alistair Smith. This part of the evening was designed to install some small team practices and to develop an understanding of what people thought and what could be achieved.
Thereafter that, being such a long day and being up in the early hours of the morning, it was a quick debrief to the staff in preparation for tonight's game.
To my amusement, in the early hours of this morning, I received a text message from the Gaffer asking if I was awake. I am not sure whether it was fortunate for him or unfortunate for me - but at 5:30 this morning the Gaffer and myself were walking and talking about what has been put in place so far.
The next shock was for the players who were awoken at 6:45 this morning for a 7 o'clock boarding of the bus ahead of a 20 minute journey down to the training pitch to work on set plays. Yet again, for such an early start, the lads' willingness to listen and take things in was there for all us to see as staff.
Now, just after breakfast, we are going to be going back down to the training pitch to work on some attacking play which will be installed in our starting 11 for tonight.
The team for our game against Partick Thistle is as follows:
Paul Henderson, James Chambers, Bruno N'Gotty, Gareth McAuely, Joe Mattock, Alan Sheehan, Stephen Clemence, Radostin Kishishev, Richard Stearman, Matty Fryatt, Mark de Vries.

Posted by Adrian Whitbread

Nice attacking set up there, with six defenders playing, and two defensive midfielders...........

Last edited:
Henderson

Chambers-----McAuley-----N'Gotty-----Sheehan

Stearman-----Clemence-----Kishishev-----Mattock

de Vries-----Fryatt​

:102:

Henderson​

Chambers-----McAuley-----N'Gotty-----Sheehan​

Stearman-----Clemence-----Kishishev-----Mattock​

de Vries-----Fryatt​

:102:

The way it's listed suggests Mattock at LB (where he should be) and Sheehan on the left wing (where he definitely should not be)

Bizarre team selection, to say the least

Last edited:
how come Sheehan has suddenly come into the fray all of a sudden?

Strange to see that it looks like we will be starting with Stearman and Sheehan on either side of midfield, would expect Mattock and Chambers will be almost playing as wing backs with Stearman and Sheehan covering them when they go forward.

Good to see Fryatt and MDV been given a chance, hopefully they can knock a few in to start giving Martin Allen a real headache over selection! :038:

Is DJ still not fully fit then?

subs are listed on the OS.

I think the line-up just shows how little quality cover we have for the wings!

Its not looking good for Porter through.

Well we have Newton and Kaebi on the right

It's the left hand side that's the problem (again)

2 of the new boys Hellings and Hayes can fill the wide left role but i expect the regular one has yet to arrive (possibly Andy Robinson).

mattock played left back and sheehan left mid against quorn and looked very good together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669